Author Topic: The RP planning thread  (Read 133417 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: The RP planning thread
« Reply #960 on: April 30, 2012, 03:41:46 pm »
Ok, so talking with Pat and the rest of the brain trust in IRC, looks like the next instalment of the superpower rp franchise will be a proper pen and paper rpg played in IRC and probably using Mutants and Masterminds (a fantastic d20 superheroes game with a really flexible system).

Setting wise, it will probably place either in the future of the superpower RP setting (ie, after the events of Volume 3), and most likely the bulk of the action will happen off of earth, either on a space station, the moon or maybe mars, which will likely have been extensively terraformed.

Thats basically all we have now, just getting what little brainstorming we've done down on digital paper to make sure we don't forget.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #961 on: April 30, 2012, 03:49:46 pm »
The setting will be something sphere-like that supports some sort of life. There will be lots of greenery, probably.

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 30, 2012, 05:53:33 pm »
I want to participate, but I'll probably be unreliable.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 02, 2012, 01:57:18 pm »
Pat, be online at the same time as me so we can get this show on the road.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #964 on: May 02, 2012, 04:33:41 pm »
But I don't wanna!!!!

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 20, 2012, 05:33:19 am »
So I recently finished the first edition of my open-ended percentile-based RPG system, and I was wondering if anyone here would like to playtest a few sessions (possibly an adventure or two if people enjoy it) and put in their thoughts on it.

So yeah, any takers?
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #966 on: February 03, 2013, 06:57:41 pm »
Alright. I'm not sure why I'm doing this but here it goes.

Anyone just wanna write stuff? Doesn't necessarily need to be anything major. Just... write things and post them! And if someone else wants to continue a thread that you wrote, why not? And if they want to just write something of their own, that works too. I dunno, like an informal writing topic or something? Do what you want, piggyback off of what you want. Tell a story about some small detail someone else mentioned! Mess around! Have fun!

Nobody would be in charge. There'd be no real posting rules. Post what you want, when you want. The only thing would be that we'd need to have an understanding that you don't actually have control over what you write and that you can't get butthurt if someone takes your princess story and turns it into space marines. :P

We could critique stuff, praise stuff, take inspiration, learn lessons... anything!

Thoughts? Would anyone do this? Informal RPs!

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 03, 2013, 08:03:22 pm »
Like seriously just writing things? Sure, I need to polish my writing skills a bit anyway.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #968 on: February 03, 2013, 08:08:01 pm »
Yeah. If you feel like writing something, write it and post it.

The gimmick with this topic is that you agree to leave your work open to yourself or others to finish. And if someone writes something you don't like, write another outcome! Informal! And if you don't want to write another person's story and would rather do your own, do that! Informal!

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 03, 2013, 08:21:59 pm »
Certainly unusual.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #970 on: February 03, 2013, 08:26:19 pm »
To clear up a question I got, no, continuity doesn't really matter.

If Badger posts a story about a detective and you post next, you can post your own story about a fairy princess. Whatever you want! INFORMAL!

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 04, 2013, 06:50:45 am »
Sounds neat.  I'd be up for it.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 06, 2013, 02:10:19 am »
Hells yeah I'd be up for that.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 12, 2013, 03:37:00 pm »
So, I've been thinking.

Our RP's kind of have this pattern of:

Starts, everyone posts super fast, those of us lucky enough to be active enough manage to keep pace and contribute whilst those who are busier come back to a post that has grown by 7 pages and moved on without them getting to interject. Now, to me that's always been the name of the game, you man up, read those 7 pages and insert yourself back into the story the best way you can. However, as has been shown, not everyone in the RP feels this way. Thus, as some people begin to fall behind in the story they find their character uninvested since they've had so little say and they drop out/vanish. I always thought this was sad, and that it was a problem.

The problem became only those of us who took the time to read 6-7 pages before we could add another 8 started becoming uninterested with interacting with the same 3-4 other people. What had started with 12 was now 5, and the 5 were bored.

What if. What if we had like a 'timed' RP? Posts are only allowed/cannon if they are posted within a certain, scheduled time frame. This would allow people to know when they should be contributing to the RP and when other people will be as well. Now, there will of course be a problem with 'X posts have already been posted', and I think a solution for that should be sought if it actually becomes a problem. Otherwise just change your reaction as needed. This will help keep people from coming back to a massive leap in the plot without them in most cases since:

Only so much decent writing can get done in a small time frame. An RP will move a couple of pages in about 2 hours with some good content. Which is completely readable within the 2-3 days given to catch up.

People can know when to post, thus when they would instead be playing a vidya, they can instead come RP with the rest of us!

Those are about the only two things I can think of. IDK, I think it'd have potential since the general idea would be to keep all players interested so after a month 12 go in and 12 are still in.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:39:12 pm by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #974 on: February 12, 2013, 04:21:34 pm »
You're on a roll today.

If you want to talk RPs, apparently I'm the only one left. So once again, you get to deal with me. I did not know we had so many similar interests. :P

The rapid burst of posts at the beginning of RPs was more of a later occurrence in the way we did RPs here. We did try a few ways of combating it (from asking players not to over-post to putting posting limits on the games) but generally speaking the rapid posting at the beginning was not what did us in, in the long run. As far as my memory serves, we only ever had REALLY bad posting issues early on with the middle Steampunk RPs and the Perihelion/Sidereal Hour RPs. I think the Steampunk RP is the one that went seven pages in the middle of the night and we got an earful about it from Sam the next day. After that it did not happen as often, at least with our RPs.

When I say "our", I mean RPs made by the core group of Sam, Neo, and myself.

The real issue with the RP system as we saw it was twofold:

We needed new people but finding new people that were willing and able to deliver quality on a regular basis was not easy.
Our storylines were becoming predictable and people were unwilling to let other people take license with their characters, further limiting possible outcomes for storylines.

That was around the time we started tooling around with the hybrid system of Role Play that added random chance elements to the story outcomes, forcing players to deal with things that were unexpected. Sadly we were unable to test this new system out as much as I would like. As well we made some mistakes in who we were trusting with running the pilot programs. I'm not entirely convinced that the hybrid model would have worked anyway.

As far as time limits, I'm not sure that is wise. I feel like adding pressure to stay in it can become counter-productive. Frankly I have no problem with people taking a a few days to post, so long as we have the commitment that they will continue to post. That commitment is important, too.

The problem became only those of us who took the time to read

This was a problem we had. Yes, seven pages is a lot to ask someone to catch up on. But we were fighting an uphill battle to get players to read half a page of updates. The most important part of this game is dedication. Players need to be dedicated and not lazy. It's not a lazy sort of game. And when you have some people taking a lot of time and effort to post, it gets very disheartening when other players are obviously phoning it in.

My thought process was that the best way to get people to keep up was to get them invested in the story. Get them to develop a vested interest in continuing the story and keeping the level of quality high. But that's much easier said than done. At the end of the day I think we just need fresh blood. The regular players know how the other regular players write. We know how they'll respond. So it takes some of the fun out of the game.

I had some success with the Giant Magnifying Glass RP, but it was more of a functional success. My personal sentiments were that I was dragging a lot of people along with that RP and that almost nobody was taking initiative to sculpt their own story. It was just a lot of people responding to my villain's cues. So while we were able to maintain an RP through to the end, the overall experience was shallow and unrewarding.

Your timing is pretty terrible. I was just talking with Flisch about the roll-out of the Informal RP. So that's coming some time this week, whenever I can write everything up.