Author Topic: The RP planning thread  (Read 118572 times)

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: The RP planning thread
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2007, 04:34:52 pm »
Name: Linus Abbot
Bio: Linus's first toy was a White Rook. He used it instead of a dummy. As soon as he was old enough to actually play chess, he started winning and never really stopped. While he's never taken a World title, he's won more than enough in contests to live easily, and he continues to compete. Despite having a razor-sharp mind, he comes across as generally very amicable even if he has trouble articulating his sentiments (he's busy pondering the Ultimate Solution of chess, no doubt) and during his free time he likes nothing more than sitting by the fire with a large book of calculus problems.

He is a complete teetotaler, and never wears a suit - just a white shirt and black trousers.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2007, 04:58:34 pm »
Hey here's the list of those "signed up" so far. Nine! Wow!

Alwayswatching - Frederick Garrison
Balthamael - Robert Valentine II
Krakow Sam - Leopold Buckingham
Luminar - Vincente Lenoir
Lurk - Linus Abbot
Neoadept - Srg. Crose
PatMan - Ronald Kidd
Shadowlord - John Teller
Yossitaru - Jack Remmington

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2007, 05:22:49 pm »
Ha ha, and most of the characters are horrible, horrible people. This should be fun.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2007, 02:51:13 pm »
Due to recent events, I've decided to make my second update to the RP rules we abide by. They were originally written by Sgore for the "I'm Going into the Story" RPs and generally follow most other sets of Story-Based RP rules.

My first edit to them made some additions and spelling changes. This most recent edit I did removed all of the "I'm Going into the Story" bits since we don't use that anymore.

Here we go, tell me what you want me to add or omit or change...

GamingSteve Forum Story-Based RP Rules.
Written by Sgore, PatMan33, and Krakow Sam. Last Edited 2/25/07

The object of the game is to play a character in a fantasy world of your design. You will tell the story from your character's point of view until the story ends, you die, or something along those lines...(If you do die you could always come back as a ghost or clone or pull a "never really killed" kind of thing. Anything works, it's totally up to you) These games are very fun when you have a dedicated group of players that can write good stories. Remember! The point is not to win, the point is to write an interesting story that people want to read!

Rules You Should Follow (Unless you want Pat to come after you)
-Don't speak for anyone else and don't play as another person's character. Let the other people playing the game respond to anything your character says and does to them. In other words don't do this:

Poster Four: I said no, but "Poster Three" said yes. Then he shot at me.
**This rule is not set in stone so use your own discretion. If you are posting during a drought and want to move the story along you may speak for others, also you may allow other characters to say simple things if it's really not story related.

-If you want to enter the story you can create a new person (In the Out of Character [OoC] thread) and introduce that person; also you can take over for an NPC. If your character has partners in their story, feel free to let us know if there are any open positions that you might like to see filled.

-Any created roles not filled by people (like a bus driver, shop keeper, etc...) can be taken over at any point in the story. Until then it is fair game to write what they do and say and such.

-You are always allowed to leave the story but be careful; if you do this, it's possible you may not have your original character to go back to later on should it be "bumped off" or something. To keep them safe you can make them ride off into the sunset, if you will, and reintroduce them later. If you do not the other players are allowed to do what they want to them.

-Nicknames are allowed.

-If someone's prolonged silence is interfering with a plot line's continuance other players may treat their character as an NPC until the controlling poster returns. You can NOT kill that character though.

-Use spellcheck and proper punctuation or I will kill you. (I think you know who added this rule.)

-Try to stick with the basic rules of the world. No flying monkeys in a world with no magic.

-The RP is a game, but you must be a decent writer if you wish to participate. Posts are expected to have detail and well thought out dialog. You are not allowed to make single sentence posts. We strive to make a story, not a topic full of stage direction.

-Don't be afraid to ask for help or to coordinate plot sequences. Conferring with your fellow players is the key in making a good RP, however don't give up your whole plot or become reliant on other player's ideas. Part of the fun of the RP is trying to "out write" your rivals. It makes for a good time.

-An RP usually follows a set point of view. Generally RPs are written in third person limited omniscient. It is not unheard of to have an RP written in first-person but it is generally seen as more rigid.
**Note that whichever form you write in, be it these two or another, your writing should be heavily influenced by your character's knowledge of the situation.

-Posting rules are simple, don't post unless there is at least one other post by another person after your most recent post. Also you should post regularly!

-Finally, if you feel inclined to join an RP that is in progress make sure you are not jumping in during a scene that is pivotal to the plot or at the climax of a story-arc. This can ruin an RP.

What different fonts denote:
Normal Text: Denotes plot development and character actions. The bulk of the RP is made of this.
"Text in quotations": Denotes speech. A large part of the RP is usually made of up speech.
~"Text in quotations preceded by a tilde": Denotes a translation. If your character speaks another language and you wish to write what they say in English, put a tilde (~) before the first quotation. This kind of speech is rarely used, but it adds to the atmosphere.
Italics: Denotes thought and inner monologue. Also is used for flashbacks, dreams, books, and computer readouts.
** There is no need to use Italics for books if the entire post is an excerpt from a book. Just make mention that it is an excerpt from a book and Italicize that one line. (Ex: Excerpt from A History of Obano...)

Here's an example of how the game works: (Written in first person)
Poster One: Well, it was Monday again and yet another day of school was coming; I was waiting lazily at the bus stop. When the bus came I got on to find it empty save for the bus driver and myself.
That's weird. I thought to myself I'm like, the fourth to last stop... There are usually no seats left when I get on.

Poster Two: I got on the bus and saw 'poster one', but no one else.
"Where is everyone?" I asked.

Poster One: "I don't know" I said back to her "Maybe they're all out sick."

Poster Two: "I don't think everyone could be out sick..." I replied.

Poster Three: I silently agreed with her in my head. I had been driving this bus for 3 years, and usually only 1 or 2, if any kids were out sick. I didn't say anything at that point though because i was just there to do my job and drive the bus. Still i couldn't help but wonder where everyone else could be.

And the story would basically go on until the problem is resolved or at least the current conflict ends. Sub plots are very likely to lead into another RP where it becomes the main plot.

IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE PM PATMAN33. THESE RULES ARE MOSTLY COMMON SENSE. IF YOU HAVE THAT YOU SHOULDN'T NEED TO READ THIS. READ IT ANYWAY THOUGH.

That pretty much covers how we RP currently. Is there anything I missed?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:23:22 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »
Maybe something about being careful in choosing when to join an in progress RP. Towards the beginning and even in the middle is fine, but showing up at the climax is confusing and potentially story ruining.

Oh, and also something about this not being a game you can win, but rather a collaborative attempt at telling a story.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2007, 02:56:20 pm »
Good idea. You just got your name in the credits! :D

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2007, 09:20:56 pm »
Hmm... I was tossing around the idea of some sort of post-apocalyptic/"for some reason a lot of people died" kind of RP in which your character would be in a world that was somewhat destroyed and most people were dead.

Thoughts?

Oh also a Vampire RP... still. :)

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2007, 10:06:25 pm »
Hmm... I was tossing around the idea of some sort of post-apocalyptic/"for some reason a lot of people died" kind of RP in which your character would be in a world that was somewhat destroyed and most people were dead.

Thoughts?

Oh also a Vampire RP... still. :)

I like the post-apoc idea, it sounds fun.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2007, 10:13:50 pm »
After reading that bus example you posted I would actually really like an RP like that. Were it starts off simple, with no real big idea for an RP but just a simple strange event, that will slowly unfold to a bigger thing. Like you move into a new house and all the houses around you are empty. A small mystery, nothing big or unatural, but just something that hardly ever happens. Then slowly as more people come a bigger story will unfold.

Anyone like this idea (the thing I said was just an example, i'm asking if you like the concept.).
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2007, 10:22:00 pm »
That could be cool!

It would take a bit of work though bit it sounds like it could be good.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2007, 10:47:21 pm »
Another good thing is that it is easier to make then other RP's. Just classic and simple rules.
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2007, 10:37:01 am »
Easy does not mean better.

I'm not going to choose an RP just because it's easier than the other choice.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2007, 11:54:17 am »
I really like the Post Apcalyptic World Idea...but what happened to the Murder Mystery?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2007, 03:49:27 pm »
Pikmin RP!
I have no idea how were gonna do this but it sounds cool.
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.