Author Topic: The RP planning thread  (Read 164562 times)

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Re: The RP planning thread
« Reply #255 on: August 14, 2007, 02:25:39 pm »
I say it's time we made Sgore happy!

I'm Going Into The Story III was really onto something... I want us to play that kind of scenario. It would be a first person affair and in a film-noir atmosphere. Someone will have been kidnapped and maybe there was a murder, all of our characters would somehow be involved with this story and everything would slowly build until we all end up in the same place and then action ensues.

It's a basic concept but requires a good objective and a clever series of plot twists and connections with other characters. Feel free to discuss this.

*Lets out tiny squeal of joy*

PatMan, I thank you and

Huzza!
I shall fetch my, hat, overcoat and noir narration!
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #256 on: August 14, 2007, 02:37:37 pm »
I really really loved I'm Going Into The Story III.

Since you were the one that made it, would you mind talking about what your thoughts were when you were designing it? Also please suggest plot and story info since you really are the best at this kind of RP.

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 19, 2007, 03:11:31 pm »
The Band's music lively music from the joint's main stage could be heard into the back room. I almost felt like dancing. Of course my experience as a detective led me to know that there was a time and place for most things, and that this wasn't the time nor place.
"You ain't getting nothing out of me, Pat." I said, leaning back in the chair.
He pulled out a .33 revolver that spoke otherwise.
"Alright, I'll talk." I said in response "But only because I like you. The idea that gun may be loaded helps your case a little though."

My thoughts when writing the RP were basicly just to use noir inspiration and have fun with it.
Some tips:
-Remember in Noir Detective stories, people many times know more then they're letting on.
-First person narration is really helpful if you want to give yourself free license to comment on your situation from your character's voice, and let people in on what's going on inside his/her head, much more than third person narration usually does.
-It usually helps if things are taking place at night. More mystery that way.

As for the actual plot itself...
I think a Kidnapping may work. Perhaps a Ransom situation. Damsel in distress runs in claiming her Husband's been taken by thugs on the way home. But perhaps something more is going on...

Or maybe something like that. Just an idea. Tell me if you think it works.

Edit: It also helps to listen to a lot of Jazz and Guy Noir. It's inspiring and I in fact recommend it for anyone who would want to play in the RP to get familliar with the mood. Not sure if those of you outside of the US know of Prairie Home Companion (At least not except for the movie), but Guy Noir is a very well done segment the Radio show frequently does as a parody of old time noir detective radio shows. It's great.
http://www.publicradio.org/tools/media/player/phc/2004/06/05_phc?start=00:00:40:52.0&end=00:01:19:00.0  :D

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 08:00:45 pm by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Offline FROMAN

• Journey Groupie
  • =ω=
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2007, 03:48:27 pm »
im planning to make an rp in gmod about your a citizen of a city when something in a lab goes horribly wrong (and i wont say more)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #259 on: August 22, 2007, 05:09:32 pm »
I think that counts as a Meta Game.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 22, 2007, 05:33:14 pm »
I've been thinking about the Steampunk RP and how to revive it.  So here is a similar idea, but in my opinion, with a more interesting setting.

It is the small mechanical planet of Utopia.  Built by humanity a thousand years ago, it was meant to be the crowning achievement of mankind.  A huge megastructure, it would automatically carry out experiments within its interior, and pull on geothermal energy to keep its city-size gears turning.  Built in such a way that it could function in the worst of conditions, it hardly used any electricity at all, due to silicon erosion, and the need for it to exist for a very long time.  Upon its surface, a utopia was grafted upon it.  Apart from the occasional mile-wide steam vent, it was very much like Earth itself.  It was kept free of pollution and huge structures, for its intention was to remain a garden world, with most of its citizens living in the iron interior below the surface.  And as the worlds of mankind went through an environmental and political strife, Utopia remained a shining beacon of hope.

Unfortunately, it was not so.

Mankind entered a nuclear war, using weapons of ferocious proportions.  The only place unscathed was Utopia.  And as mankind went through an almost eternal dark age, Utopia's location was soon forgotten.

This was fine for a while, and the citizens of Utopia laughed at the rest of humanity.  But they didn't laugh for long.  Eventually, even the most fail-safe systems break down, and that is what happened to Utopia.  Experiments, once contained, destroyed humans under the surface, and the perfect environment was ravished.  The citizens of Utopia had no choice but to go to the surface to escape the chaos.

And as the rest of mankind managed to rebuild their glory, Utopia, now bitterly christened Distopia, went through its own dark age.

They lived in fear for the erratic behavior of the planet, for the barbarious bandits who mixed technology with ignorance, the very experiments that their ancestors created, and the ones that the planet was inevitably creating out on its own.

Good setting, huh?  Its in a mix between steampunk and biopunk.  It is steampunk in the fact that right now people are using steam technology they brought up with them to the surface, and because the planet itself is a huge clockwork machine, and it is biopunk because the experiments under the surface were mostly biological, and very dangerous.  Think flesh-eating monsters, huge hives of human-sized ants, and maybe even the occasional mutant, all hell-bent on destroying what's left of Distopia, and the only thing in their way is your character with their trusty steam gun and dirigible.

So, what do you think?
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #261 on: August 22, 2007, 05:44:08 pm »
I like it!

But I also like the other Steam Punk RP, I think we may be able to get away with doing both. ;)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 22, 2007, 06:25:18 pm »
I think I like the other one better, but that's probably because I enjoy writing villains or facing off against someone else's villains, which would be difficult to do if the entire planet is a baddie.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 22, 2007, 06:27:48 pm »
Its an inanimate object.  And I'm not asking you to just be a human character.  You can be the leader of some vile experiment or something.
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 22, 2007, 06:32:26 pm »
Interesting idea...  I may consider it, but considering that all three rps I'm in will be starting up again next week (hopefully) and school a week after that my plate may be a little full for another rp.  But it seems like a solid idea, go ahead without me if you can drum up the support.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline FROMAN

• Journey Groupie
  • =ω=
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 22, 2007, 07:20:21 pm »
sounds very good and also it was going to be a metagame

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #266 on: August 22, 2007, 07:51:51 pm »
Ah, the meta game planning topic is next door. :P

Offline FROMAN

• Journey Groupie
  • =ω=
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 22, 2007, 09:10:41 pm »
oh

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 24, 2007, 07:33:49 pm »
If we do the Noir RP, could I make the opening post?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #269 on: August 25, 2007, 02:28:43 pm »
Yeah, heck with the noir type RP we don't need to worry about much planning. All we need is a solid RP base. We should get a list of names first.