Author Topic: Galactic neighborhood.  (Read 3717 times)

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Galactic neighborhood.
« on: June 28, 2005, 01:42:42 pm »
In The Sims games, theres the neighborhood of all the famillies and houses that other users of your computer can play with. What I was wondering is if Spore will install to your computer and generate a galaxy that anyone on your computer can browse.

For example, you make your planet and then your family member or whatever can come and visit it and use your creatures from like a shared database. You would obviously not be able to affect the other planets, it would be saved to your own windows user account and not the other persons.

Offline Oviraptor

• Shinobi Ninja
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Galactic neighborhood.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 01:46:44 pm »
My guess is that each player would have their own galaxy. Player content may or may not be brought in from other players on the same computer.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 01:48:22 pm »
I've been thinking about seperate places for the player to have complete control in
whould a pocket universe qualify as a seperate neighborhood.

or perhapse a multiverse of different universes
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 12:14:19 am »
Perhaps a little easter-egg like UFO ability such as "bend reality." It'd poke a hole in the very fabric of reality and summon another creature from your computer. Eh?
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 01:17:22 am »
just a side note but i remembered an idea i first heard here
http://www.station1.net/douglasjones/aconvers.htm
!!Warning!! the link is rather long but it is a good read !!Warning!!
Imagine a universe that has an infinite number of dimensions, what you might call a Hilbert space, except that it contains an infinite number of dimensions for each possible language construct. And imagine that this universe has the property that each point in this space can be occupied by a computational particle. Each particle can contain an infinite number of bits of information, and can perform general computations on this data; in other words, it is functionally equivalent to a Turing machine. Each particle can communicate with any other particle instantaneously, and can create new particles at all finitely addressable points in the space, filled with any desired bit patterns. Each particle can execute any finite algorithm to completion in one clock cycle.

What we propose to do is to create such a universe, containing a single particle, the origin particle. This particle will contain all of the bit patterns from all of the Ships in the Galaxy, plus a program that instructs the particle what to do. And this is what it does: First, it constructs a network of particles, arranged within a three-dimensional spherical shell surrounding the origin particle; this network of particles maps precisely the computational network contained within one of the Ships. The bit patterns from that Ship are then loaded in. This process is then repeated for all of the other Ships; for each Ship, the spherical shell is offset slightly from the previous one, producing concentric shells. When this process is completed, the contents of all of the Ships have been recreated within this new universe, occupying a small area within only a few of the infinite number of dimensions available. Then the clock is started.

basicly a daughter universe filled with computing parts and a copy of cyber reality

reminds me of Diaspora by Greg Egan, a book centered on cyber reality

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 05:19:57 am »
What if the galaxy option is set up like the neighborhood option in Sims. It comes with three premade but you can make as many custom as you want. You can't cross visit the neighborhood/galaxies but you can choose which one you want to play n and you can have many to choose from.

Offline merridian

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 11:02:00 am »
What if the galaxy option is set up like the neighborhood option in Sims. It comes with three premade but you can make as many custom as you want. You can't cross visit the neighborhood/galaxies but you can choose which one you want to play n and you can have many to choose from.

Yeah I had thought about this too, the whole sims neighborhood translated to spore. This would make it easier to try out creating different creatures at the same time rather than playing one creature all the way through to galactic stage then starting again. It makes sense, because in the sims I sometimes get a bit fed up with my current family so i make a new one or play another one that i have made, but of course i always end up going back and playing the other ones again. It would just add a bit more variety and because everything is procedural it shouldn't take up too much memory to have multiple galaxies saved, or at least have a maximum allowance in the game.
FATE DOESN'T HANG ON A WRONG OR RIGHT CHOICE, FORTUNE DEPENDS ON THE TONE OF THE VOICE

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 11:55:48 am »
They never said we'd not be able to start new life in our own galazy.. if we can inflluence other cultures and create new planets/solar systems, then I am quite sure you can go back and redo any of the previous levels only with almost full control this time around.

You have to understand the avoidance for a Galactic Neighbor Hood type thing. If someone wants to ruin others games or be really stupid.. they'll create multiple galaxies populated with alot of annoying things.. sure content can be flagged on the server end but when you are talking millions of creations, it'll be harder to flag all the bad content. One galazy is enough for me... though I can imagine a Spore 2 would probably work on Galaxies maybe even a Multiverse. Come on.. you know how Maxis and EA are with mass produced addons/sequals.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 06:39:46 pm »
I don't know where, but I think that Will said that he wasn't planning ANY Spore sequals or ad-ons.
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 06:50:50 pm »
He said he would rather make ports to other platforms than make expansions.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 06:55:14 pm »
Yes... that is true.. but if the game sells half as well as everyone here thinks it will... and then EA doesn't make another one, EA will finally have changed it's policies and hell will freeze over. EA will force the project... then again I haven't liked EA since they swallowed Westwood.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 07:56:26 pm »
I want my CnC Red Alert 3 or a real CnC sequel instead of Generalsá :'(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:39:37 pm by golgrig »

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 09:00:07 pm »
Here, here