Author Topic: Bigot Brother?  (Read 7527 times)

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Bigot Brother?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 08:30:00 pm »
The British are about as inclusive and multicultural as the Germans. I'm not saying that's a bad thing or a good thing, it's just a thing.

You do know they dont still line up in red coats and fire muskets at people, dont you? The thing about history is that it's a thing of the past. Saying that the Brittish are against multiculturalism because Jade Goody made some comments on TV is about as reliable as saying all Americans hate jews because Mel Gibson said some nasty stuff while drunk. Show me some kind of evidence that the country in question is elitist and dont just follow the daily newspaper's oppinion on the world.

Just to quell any future arguments, I am a republican and would very much like to drop all ties to "mother england" from my country. This argument is not some kind of international patriotism.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 10:54:21 am »
It annoys me that most Americans stereotypes of British people involve "Tally-ho!" Top hats, and Tea. While our Stereotypes of a fat, gun-ho American are widley incorrect, ours are at least not a hundred years out of date.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 11:28:58 am »
The British are about as inclusive and multicultural as the Germans. I'm not saying that's a bad thing or a good thing, it's just a thing.

Quote from: Wikipedia
he United Nations Population Fund lists Germany as hosting the third-highest percentage of international migrants worldwide

Put that in your pipe and smoke it  :P

also:

As of 2001, 13.1% of the UK's population identified themselves as an ethnic minority. The United Kingdom has amongst the highest immigration rates in Europe

I know being an immigrant isnt quite the same as multiculturalism, but have any of you ever been to London?

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 11:41:14 am »

You do know they dont still line up in red coats and fire muskets at people, dont you? The thing about history is that it's a thing of the past. Saying that the Brittish are against multiculturalism because Jade Goody made some comments on TV is about as reliable as saying all Americans hate jews because Mel Gibson said some nasty stuff while drunk. Show me some kind of evidence that the country in question is elitist and dont just follow the daily newspaper's oppinion on the world.

Just to quell any future arguments, I am a republican and would very much like to drop all ties to "mother england" from my country. This argument is not some kind of international patriotism.

I'm not basing my claim on the fact that one chick said that, I'm basing it on the fact that Brits do not have a ton of foreign blood mixed with them, at least compared to America. They don't persecute or hate, they're just not multicultural.

You do know they dont still line up in red coats and fire muskets at people, dont you?
How did you get that out of what I said?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 12:33:48 pm »
As of 2001, 13.1% of the UK's population identified themselves as an ethnic minority. The United Kingdom has amongst the highest immigration rates in Europe

I know being an immigrant isnt quite the same as multiculturalism, but have any of you ever been to London?

Yes and I quite enjoyed it.  :)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 12:47:52 pm »
I'm not basing my claim on the fact that one chick said that, I'm basing it on the fact that Brits do not have a ton of foreign blood mixed with them, at least compared to America. They don't persecute or hate, they're just not multicultural.

Well, 13 percent identified with being in an ethnic minority. That doesn't include people who identify as English even though their ancestry is foreign. There are similar large percentages for religion which I looked up earlier on the wiki but didn't post. We're perhaps one of the more multicultural nations on the planet. We have a crapload of immigration, moreso than a lot of other countries.

America itself doesn't really count, largely because it's either in the hick states in the middle where everyone is white or the coastal states who have large amounts of immigrants (and America being a nation which one could technically claim is almost entirely comprised of immigrants is somewhat different to most other countries in the world).

Multiculturalism and tolerance (and political correctness *spits*) are large parts of public policy.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 12:51:02 pm »
Brits do not have a ton of foreign blood mixed with them.
Just Saxon, Norse, French, Celtic and Roman.

Its also telling that curry is one of the most popular types of food here. As are Kebabs, and chinese.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 12:59:11 pm »
My point is that Brits mainly look different from French look different from Spanish from Germans from Russians etc. Europe is a relatively small place to have so many different ethnicities and sub-races. There is an English ethnicity, that is what I am getting at. I can't even articulate my point.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 01:37:05 pm »
Europe is small now?

???

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 01:43:03 pm »
That wasn't my whole sentence. Europe is a relatively small place to have so many distinct ethnic groups.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 02:12:19 pm »
The Middle East isn't that big.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 02:34:22 pm »
The British may not be particularly inclusive and multicultural, but you guys do have quite a reputation for being so.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 03:45:45 am »
Yay I get such a unique view in this. Being half Indian and half scottish living in Canada the last 20 years of my life.

I've heard all sides of racism, when a white person talks to me they seem to forget I am half Indian or vice versa. (like the Canadian women who I had known for years who said she hates all immigrants. When I pointed out I was an immigrant I "don't count".)

I find that racism is very complex. In the UK many of my Indian relatives are actually very mis-trustful of black people. Where as my white English aunt has a black boyfriend.

Overall though I'd say the UK is quite tolerant. As one of the main colonial powers they are no stranger to people of other cultures. Considering the amount of various cultures put on this small island, I'd say they are doing fairly well for themselves.   If anything I'd say racism is more of a behind closed doors thing. People might hold prejudice or even hatred, but it's not often expressed in public.

As for the big brother thing, I've been following that since I got here. I found most of Jade's comments more bullying or ignorant then racist. That hardly is an excuse though, and doesn't excuse the actions and comments that were made that did seem more provoked by Shilpa's race.

I was impressed by the British public by the volume of complaints that came in. It's obvious Channel 4 did very little to stop them, and only after the flood of complaints they tried stopping Jade. (calling her into the diary room and repeating back to her comments she had said). How this ends up though remains to be seen.

Will Big Brother ratings drop? If so, is it because people are refusing to watch the show for doing nothing or is it because controversay makes for better ratings?

If any good came out of all this I'd say it hopefully has more people stepping back and looking at themselves and seeing if they do stereotype people. And how they can better themselves.

*It should be noted that the Indian part of my family lived in Africa before moving to the UK. They were forced out of Africa by a change in government which might be the root of their mis-trust of black people.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2007, 06:59:42 am »
I've heard all sides of racism, when a white person talks to me they seem to forget I am half Indian or vice versa. (like the Canadian women who I had known for years who said she hates all immigrants. When I pointed out I was an immigrant I "don't count".)

Heh heh. I had a similar experience to that. I took it to mean the person I was talking to didnt actually hate immigrants at all, it was just a sort of irrational fear of the unknown.
The point is that there are good people and bastards in every group, and if you only go by how the bastards act then you arent going to get a clear picture of that group as a whole.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2007, 12:27:30 pm »
The point is that there are good people and bastards in every group, and if you only go by how the bastards act then you arent going to get a clear picture of that group as a whole.

I agree. I don't know if I didn't express my point or what, but I'm afraid I may have sounded like a wanker.