Author Topic: Bigot Brother?  (Read 7632 times)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
Bigot Brother?
« on: January 20, 2007, 04:30:52 am »
Now, im not normally one to watch TV at all, much less horrible reality TV shows, but this matter caught my attention.

Summary: Some chick from india is one of the participants, and a bunch of them are spewing racist bile at her and giving her a hard time of it.

India (yep, the country) is justifiably pissed off, as am I. This, IMO, is one of the bigger problems with England - the place is choc-a-bloc with this kind of crap, and it's entirely unreasonable. So what their skin's a bit darker and they have an accent? For a start, it doesn't make them worse in any way and second they didn't choose to be like that, not that they should choose for the sake of other people. Any and all racism should frankly be illegal to say or do. Judge by deeds and choices, not circumstances beyond their control is what I say.

Either way, this crap is getting broadcast on tv (if certain words are getting beeped out) and the station is getting complaints like crazy. The other contestants in question are using slurs against indians, telling her to "go home", refusing to eat any food touched by her, and just generally making total nobs of themselves. In all honesty, they should call this series off if this is going to become a danger to the lass's health or dignity, or if it's manageable, evict and/or replace the racists.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Re: Bigot Brother?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 04:41:08 am »
It's all gone a little overboard, in my opinion. Burning Effigies of Jade Goody, I mean, It's like when she won! A complaint not just from the people, but from the state! It's been on the front page of every (crappy) newspaper.

I think they should have evicted Jade for her racism instantly, and been over with it. Then they could have apologised, not lost millions, and not be hated by Indians everywhere.

Our country is irritatingly racist, and it annoys me immensley. The whole "Indians come over and steal our jobs." thing annoys me so much, How about "Indians-come-over-and-earn-our-jobs-because-they-aren't-white-trash-and-have-a-very-strong-work-ethic?". I don't know many Indians, but I know a few Bangladeshi's and get on well with them.

I am yet to meet an educated Racist.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 08:23:50 am »
Lets hope this incident ruins Goody's 'career' such as it is.

It pisses me off when people claim immigrants steal their jobs too. Its just rampant scapegoating by Daily Sport reading spongers with 22 kids by 23 different partners who would rather drink White Lightning and watch daytime TV than earn a living cleaning toilets or sweeping streets. Those being the only jobs theyre qualified for because instead of going to school they were throwing bins through shop-windows and having underage sex with other drop-outs.

In conclusion... ummm... what were we talking about again?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 09:33:42 am »
There ARE spongers that come here just to get the money for being immigrants, yes - but it's not all of them. That's where they truly can't win - if they're seen outside of work, they're the leechers. If they're seen in work, they're job thieves.

I actually never understood the whole "job stealing" thing. If they're good enough at doing whatever they're doing, surely they're entitled to have the job?

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 10:53:06 am »
I wholesomely agree, Ireland is filling up with Polish people, who are very good at their jobs. We had our attic converted by them and unlike Irish workers, who work slowly and demand lunch breaks every 2 hours, they work until the wee hours of the night (or whenever you tell them to stop) with no breaks!
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Serdun

• Revenging Yar
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 05:24:29 pm »
So wait, why are you against freedom of speech, Luminar?  :-\
Yes. Of course.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 05:46:14 pm »
What about Freedom of not being called racist names by trailer trash?

Offline Serdun

• Revenging Yar
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 06:27:29 pm »
The whole idea of freedom of speech is that people are allowed to say what they believe. One is free to disagree with it- I hate racism, and think it is a serious problem Western culture must solve- but not solve by passing laws limiting thought and opinion. Racist actions, however, are quite another thing entirely- I fully support punishments for racial discrimination and hate crimes. However, I also believe that for a country to be truly free, its citizens should be able to decide and voice their own opinions, no matter how twisted they may be.
Yes. Of course.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 09:08:25 pm »
They should be aloud to say what they wont but they should know that with being a dick and being racist comes consequences such as if you are a celeb and you are like that it will hurt your career.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 09:53:59 pm »
With freedom of speech comes responsibiliity for what you say. You are free to call someone a baby-eater, but be prepared to be sued for slander. Calling someone something offensive to their face is likely to get yours punched in. You have to accept the consequences of your speech and take responsibility for them. Freedom of speech is too often abused as something to hide behind so that a person doesn't have to deal with the consequences of what they say.

One hopes that this doesn't tarnish the British reputation for inclusiveness and multiculturalism. One idiot saying something on TV should not reflect on an entire nation, especially not an idiotic and uneducated z-list "celebrity" like Jade Goody.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 02:22:25 am »
Freedom of speech only applies to the government not kicking you in for saying what they don't like. Mr. Thug of 22 Rottweiler Lane, however, will be quite happy to bash your lights out if you called his dear old mother anything.

And for that reason, that's why freedom of speech isn't freedom at all. Unlike many think, it is neither a pillar of human progress nor the ultimate aegis to hide behind. So rather than angrily asking me why i'm against freedom of speech, ask yourself why your right to be openly racist is a thing you want to defend. Note that I am not calling you as such, but that is what your argument equates to.

Offline Serdun

• Revenging Yar
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 10:32:08 am »
If "Mr. Thug" bashed my lights out, he'd be charged with assault. I don't understand why you say:
Freedom of speech isn't freedom at all.

Oh, and Krakow, that's when you'd get a restraining order.  ;)
Yes. Of course.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 11:07:50 am »
The British justice system doesnt operate in a way that allows you to exploit it to settle petty disputes... plus, why get lawyers involved?

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 06:31:22 pm »
One hopes that this doesn't tarnish the British reputation for inclusiveness and multiculturalism.

That was sarcasm, right?

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 06:39:32 pm »
The British are about as inclusive and multicultural as the Germans. I'm not saying that's a bad thing or a good thing, it's just a thing.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe