Author Topic: Pans Labyrinth  (Read 7789 times)

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Pans Labyrinth
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 05:05:26 pm »
One of the greatest movies ever to grace this world.  8)

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 05:17:43 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZkWww1At24

short part of the movie. but one of the most creepy monster's i've ever seen!  :o
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 09:18:47 am »
I just saw this, I admit I wasn't expecting much, but it was one of the best movies I've seen in a while (although I must admit, I haven't seen many movies recently, but it was still good)
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 02:11:02 pm »
I saw, and liked this movie on DVD. I really liked the 'thing' in the Second Task, and I thought the general film was very innovative, considering it was working in an overdone, unoriginal genre. It seemed short, overall. but good nevertheless.

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 07:07:41 pm »
that 'thing' with the eyes. god, thats creepy.  :-\
uhhhh.. 'shudder'
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Putspooza

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 12:11:02 pm »
Just watched it.

Great movie. I recommend it.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 04:38:44 pm »
Just watched it.

Great movie. I recommend it.
Even though that was a Necro-bump I really don't care, considering that I completely agree 100% with you.
On another note, will I enjoy Hellboy 2 as much as this? I enjoyed the first hellboy immensely, but the sequel seems closer to this film in terms of art.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 05:37:54 pm »
so i watched this too...pretty awesome, i loved it.
thing is...why is everyone always talking about the monser thing? the rest of the movie is way more interesting >.>

and i was wondering...(like super duper spoilers...)you think the whole fairy stuff is fake? no one ever catches her with any of the magic stuff besides the root, wich might as well be just a root >.>. and at the end when she goes to the magic place she dies, so it might as well be the delusional stuff you see when you die. this thought makes the story a whole lot more sad about a young girl with a too big imagination for her own good but it sorta makes you wonder...

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 06:26:38 pm »
Del Toro himself stated that the fantasy world is real. Of course, he could have meant that it was real to him, and not actually real in the Film's canon. Forgetting that, there are a few things that don't really make sense if everything were in Ophelia's head:
1) The Chalk, we saw her using it to escape into from the Pale-Man, and we saw her use it to sneak into Captain Vidal's room. In fact, the Captain even picked up the chalk afterward, so she did do something with it.
2) Where could she have gotten the Mandrake root?I doubt they had any in the kitchen, and while she could have gotten it in the forest, I doubt it as we don't see her ever leaving her room, or having any signs of ever being outside at that time.
3)The Labyrinth itself. Well, someone built it, and at the end of the film you can see a part of the labyrinth's wall open, allowing Ophelia and her baby brother to escape inside. The Captain then reaches a dead end before it opens up again, letting him through.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:37:43 pm by Snork »
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 01:35:25 am »
thing is...why is everyone always talking about the monser thing? the rest of the movie is way more interesting >.>

this is the first result you get when you type in pan's labyrinth on google

could be considered scary, so I left it as a link
http://laist.com/attachments/tony/panslabby.jpg

its horrific, disturbing, and it eats babies and collects their shoes.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Putspooza

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 05:44:51 am »
so i watched this too...pretty awesome, i loved it.

and i was wondering...(like super duper spoilers...)you think the whole fairy stuff is fake? no one ever catches her with any of the magic stuff besides the root, wich might as well be just a root >.>. and at the end when she goes to the magic place she dies, so it might as well be the delusional stuff you see when you die. this thought makes the story a whole lot more sad about a young girl with a too big imagination for her own good but it sorta makes you wonder...

I think the movie is open to three canonical interpretations:

1.It was all in her head, she's a disturbed little kid in a time of war, what did you expect. I personally think not, specifically because she got out of her locked room to get the baby. with a piece of chalk.

2.It was all real. and in the end her soul returned to the underworld and lived happily ever after while her body on earth rotted away. this is what wikipedia likes to think, and I say BAD WIKIPEDIA! SHOO!

3.It was all real EXCEPT for the last bit, she was killed in the real world, so she died in the matrix, no "her soul lived on" ****.I like to believe this is what happened.

Furthermore, I think that the Faun wasn't even trying to help her, He was just a cheating old beast who needed some errands run for him, He wanted to kill a baby that's all, so he sent his minions to spy on who comes by, and picked Ofelia as a suitable candidate. he also gets younger as the more of the tasks get complete, or maybe it's the proximity of the full moon,I suppose the baby sacrificing would grant him immurtality or something, which would also relate nicely to the story Ofelia told the baby about the flower on the spiky mountain. I can hardly imagine that knife being made to take a few drops of baby blood only, considering it was picked up from the house of a dude that kills and eats babies for a living.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 06:27:54 am »
Interesting, it does fit in with what Mercedes (The maid) told Ophelia early in the film, but I don't buy it:

The entire goal of the Third task was to get Ophelia to die, so perhaps the faun was expecting Ophelia to give up her own life? And, you have to consider that the Captain was in the Labyrinth as well, so perhaps the Faun was stalling Ophelia to allow the Captain to get through (The wall opened up for him again, remember?) so that he could kill her.

Perhaps the faun knew that Ophelia was too scared to think rationally, and thus had to make the Captain complete the final task.

In the end though, the best thing about the film is that it's ending is so open to interpretation. Did she go to the underworld? Or was everything simply in her head?

Offline Putspooza

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2009, 11:57:26 am »
I thought the entire goal of the third task was to sacrifice the innocent

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 12:41:06 pm »
Ophelia was innocent ;)

Offline Putspooza

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 01:01:50 pm »
Meh, innocence is subjective