Author Topic: Pans Labyrinth  (Read 7782 times)

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
Pans Labyrinth
« on: January 18, 2007, 02:41:34 pm »
Have any of you seen it? I've seen the commercials for it and I want to see it so badly, but sadly I live in Southern Indiana where it hasnt started playing yet( and might not even play at all!!!). So for any of you that have seen it, is it good!!! It looks amazing and I would really like to know what you think of it.

By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
Re: Pans Labyrinth
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 02:58:53 pm »
I've seen it.  It's much like Del Toro's previous work.  I don't know how much I can talk about it without giving it away, but it is among the best movies I've ever seen.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:51:55 pm »
Any details about whats this is about aside from someone named Pan and their Labyrinth.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 09:13:07 am »
Pan's Labyrinth, entitled El Laberinto del Fauno in Spanish, is a 2006 fantasy film directed by Guillermo del Toro. The film had its premiere in the 2006 Cannes Film Festival and was released in the United Kingdom on 24 November 2006. In the United States, it was initially given a limited release on December 29, 2006; nationwide release will follow on January 19, 2007.[1] The film has received a strong reception from critics around the world, earning a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, with 106/109 positive reviews.[2] It has also been universally acclaimed on Metacritic, earning a score of 97.[3] The film has been chosen as Mexico's entry for Best Foreign Language Film at the 79th Academy Awards[4] and was also nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the 2007 Golden Globes.[5]

In post-Civil War northern Spain in 1944, a 12-year-old girl, Ofelia (Ivana Baquero), moves with her heavily-pregnant mother and stepfather into a new home in the countryside. Her stepfather, Captain Vidal (Sergi López) has been sent to this remote area to rid it of a small Republican militia. Disliked by the sadistic Vidal, Ofelia, who revels in ancient stories and fairy tales, discovers an immense and ancient labyrinth guarded by a faun (Doug Jones). He tells her she is the long-lost daughter of Hades, the Greek god of the Underworld, and to regain entry to her kingdom she must carry out three tasks. So Ofelia enters a strange and no less dangerous world of fairies and extraordinary creatures such as the terrifying Pale Man (also played by Doug Jones).

WATCH IT

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 08:54:48 am »
It is a very good movie.  Very dark  but if you are even slighty into that then its well worth seeing.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 10:39:11 am »
I've wanted to see it ever since I read about it on IMDB. The interminable wait for it is causing my soul to slowly wither away!  :'(

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 10:46:32 pm »
I have seen it and loved it.

[SPOILER CONVERSATION] Warning very spoilerish do not read until you have seen movie:
Answer this question as soon as you read it, to give your gut reaction. Would you have given the baby to Faun?
[END SPOILER]

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 09:22:03 am »
Yes.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 05:06:47 pm »
me too...

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 05:26:03 pm »
you both phail, lol
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 03:23:16 pm »
*cries self to sleep* Its not out in any theaters around me yet. I guess it just wont come out here.....
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 06:26:40 pm »
Whoot!!!!!!!!!!

Its finally playing somewhere close enough for me to see it!!!!! I think I'll bring my boyfriend and kill two birds with one stone, going on a date and seeing an awsome movie. I heard it was a pretty mature movie too(rated R for a reason). I really cant wait till I see it, probably this weekend. I cant wait, this is going to be so awsome. I actually yelled "Hell Yes" when I checked the showtimes a minute ago. Once again, so excited.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 02:11:25 am »
Its in Spanish right? But with subtitles?

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 01:50:07 pm »
Yep, its in Spanish with english subtitles. Although I watch a lot of anime with english subtitles so that doesnt really bother me. After about the first three minutes I forget that I'm even reading.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 02:13:59 pm »
Yep, its in Spanish with english subtitles. Although I watch a lot of anime with english subtitles so that doesnt really bother me. After about the first three minutes I forget that I'm even reading.

Come to a country that doesn't translate everything. Everything expect cartoons are subtitled.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!