Author Topic: A Different Type of PSWii  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
A Different Type of PSWii
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:47:51 pm »
PatMan's PlayStation topic reminded me of a really good blogpost I saw a while back by IGN's Mark Bozon:

http://blogs.ign.com/Bozon-IGN/2006/12/09/39683/#comments

A much better way to PSWii than with a PS3.

Personally, I've still been playing my PS2 quite a bit, even with a brand-new 360 and Wii now in the house. There's a ton of great stuff that has both just come out and is coming later this year:

Okami
Burnout Dominator
MLB '07: The Show
God of War II
Bully
Guitar Hero II
ATV Offroad Fury 4
Final Fantasy XII

Yeah...I'd be temped to say that the PS2 had the best line-up this holiday season (along with the 360).

So forget about getting a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360...get a PlayStation 2 instead!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: A Different Type of PSWii
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 07:53:25 pm »
Actually, Pilot, I'd go so far to say that the PS2 has the best lineup this holiday season. The 360 has some pretty strong titles but I can't see anything that would dethrone the PS2 currently considering the wealth of games available to any owner of the system.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 09:00:14 pm »
I was talking specifically price-point and games that were coming out for the PS2 this year. If you are talking about games cumulitively, than you are certainly right; PS2 wins by a landslide.

And I take back my earilier comment about the 360 having second place. Second-place would have to go to the DS. :)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 09:58:35 pm »
I was talking specifically price-point and games that were coming out for the PS2 this year. If you are talking about games cumulitively, than you are certainly right; PS2 wins by a landslide.

And I take back my earilier comment about the 360 having second place. Second-place would have to go to the DS. :)

I'd say that the PS2 had a better year in terms of games in 2006 than the 360 did. Yes, the 360 had some of its AAA titles hit, but PS2 was still going enormously strong. And yeah, I'd have a hard time giving the 360 the better lineup between it and the DS. The DS had an amazing year.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 10:11:39 pm »
I'd have to disagree and say that the 360 had a better year in terms of games than the PS2 did.

When you consider the $129 price-point versus the $400 price-point, PS2 wins hands-down. But in terms of just games, I'd say that the 360 probably had the upper hand (though I still need to get my hands on Final Fantasy XII!).

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 10:25:59 pm »
Guitar Hero II, Okami, Final Fantasy XII are some of the major things that hit last year for the PS2.

Other than Dead Rising and Gears of War, I can't think of anything for the 360.

That said, I don't think my abridged list is fair to either system. Heh.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 11:05:32 pm »
Guitar Hero II, Okami, Final Fantasy XII are some of the major things that hit last year for the PS2.

Other than Dead Rising and Gears of War, I can't think of anything for the 360.

That said, I don't think my abridged list is fair to either system. Heh.

I played dead rising recently for the first time. what do i have to say?

Wow.
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 01:53:58 am »
I was surprised that the PS2 sold about 200,000 systems this December. That's crazy to think that a 6 year old system is selling that well still. I guess with all the bad news that's plaguing the PS3 i forgot how good the PS2 was/is.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 06:31:28 am »
Guitar Hero II

That also comes for Xbox 360.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 06:51:23 am »
Guitar Hero II

That also comes for Xbox 360.

But it came to the PS2 in 2006. Which is what we were talking about. It hasn't released for 360 yet.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 07:18:37 am »
And as if the $79 price-tag of the PS2 version wasn't expensive enough, the 360 version will cost $89!

I still think that Sony should just cancel the PS3 and ride the PS2 for the next five years.

Well...ok, not really! But the PS2 is still a really great system!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 12:17:17 pm »
And as if the $79 price-tag of the PS2 version wasn't expensive enough, the 360 version will cost $89!

I still think that Sony should just cancel the PS3 and ride the PS2 for the next five years.

Actually, that's what Gabe Newell more or less suggested. He's the creator of the Half-Life series. He railed on the PS3 recently in an interview and said Sony should just cancel the console, apologize profusely, ride the PS2 a while longer, and come out with a PS4 that doesn't suck. Not sure I agree, but it was funny to hear it from someone with such clout.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 04:19:04 pm »

Actually, that's what Gabe Newell more or less suggested. He's the creator of the Half-Life series. He railed on the PS3 recently in an interview and said Sony should just cancel the console, apologize profusely, ride the PS2 a while longer, and come out with a PS4 that doesn't suck. Not sure I agree, but it was funny to hear it from someone with such clout.

This reminds me of that one rumor a while back that Sony was planning to pack future PS2's with a Wii-mote rip-off and ride on the success of that for a few years.

I still think that the EyeToy is a hugely untapped potential for Sony to bring in non-gamers. The Wii Remote is very simple and intuitive, but the EyeToy has no buttons at all, and could be a really big deal if it were marketed the right way (and packaged with each console). It doesn't get any more simple than moving your arms around.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 12:12:00 am »

This reminds me of that one rumor a while back that Sony was planning to pack future PS2's with a Wii-mote rip-off and ride on the success of that for a few years.

It'd be useless to pack-in a Wiimote rip-off. Most of the PS2's back-catalog wouldn't use it and the vast majority of developers wouldn't have any need to work with it considering they could simply work on the Wii instead (considering I wouldn't trust Sony to manufacture a Wiimote of any comparative quality). But yeah, riding the PS2's coat-tails could keep them alive a little while longer, but they really didn't need the PS3 to be doing this badly.

I still think that the EyeToy is a hugely untapped potential for Sony to bring in non-gamers. The Wii Remote is very simple and intuitive, but the EyeToy has no buttons at all, and could be a really big deal if it were marketed the right way (and packaged with each console). It doesn't get any more simple than moving your arms around.

If it were packed-in from the beginning of a new console, then yes, there'd be a chance. I agree, although I think the tangible quality of holding the Wiimote provides it with a stronger attachment from gamer to console than the EyeToy is capable of. But that's just an opinion.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 03:11:33 am »

The 360 version has ten extra songs, and you can download new song packs of 10 for 500 points, with the PS2 version you have to buy stand alone expansion-esque games to get these songs.  The 360 version will be far cheaper in the long run, and I'd much prefer to have all the songs in one game, rather than having to switch discs if I want to play a few different songs.