Author Topic: Procedural naming-system?  (Read 5440 times)

Offline 0d1n3oo3Broad

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • SPORE ON! Walium go!
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube-Channel
Procedural naming-system?
« on: January 16, 2007, 12:11:28 pm »

a couple of weeks ago a question came into my mind: how will the non-player-based naming-system be handled/working?
we all know that we, the player, can name our species (cool would be to name our creature in the creature-stage btw ;) ), planet, vehicles etc. etc. (but generally, what about cities/colonies, nations, lakes, mountains and mountainranges? do anyone know something about this?)
BUT: if we can name for example our city, how will the computer-player (can) handle this and name his city/ies? will the naming-system be based uppon our own choosen names and try to get as close as it could (possible?), or will it just be generated "on the fly" (procedurally), or (worsed case) due to a predefined file with (fantasy-)names?

i know there are some name-generators out in the net, but some results are somewhat strange....so i have a little bit of a skepticism of how the spore-team will handle this...

what do you think or what exactly do we know about that at this time?

/edit: another idea that came just in my mind: can we name stars or will they have no name until we arrive or also generated on some point of the game? it would be cool, if you could in creature or tribe stage look up into the sky at night, name some constellations and stars and several thousand years later, visit that stars with your spaceship....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 12:14:55 pm by 0d1n3oo3Broad »

~~#SPORE#~~ :D ~~#SPORE#~~ :D
~~#SPORE is ON#~~ :D :D
~~#EXCELENT#~~ :D
Visit my Profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mechanikus

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
Re: Procedural naming-system?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 01:35:08 pm »
Regardless of how these things are named when you first find them I am entirely confident that Maxis will give us the option to re-name them as we see fit.
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:38:51 pm »
/edit: another idea that came just in my mind: can we name stars or will they have no name until we arrive or also generated on some point of the game? it would be cool, if you could in creature or tribe stage look up into the sky at night, name some constellations and stars and several thousand years later, visit that stars with your spaceship....

Yes, that sounds like a great idea! I'm not sure they would implement something like that though  :(. It seems more likely that the planets are either procedurally named if they are computer-made or just use the name that the player that made it used.

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 01:48:03 pm »
They've let us rename stuff in SimCity before (most prominent I can remember being in SC2K), and that would make for another point of interest on the data report.

"...
# of times renamed. [Click for list of alternate names]
..."
Virus Buster.

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 03:08:48 pm »
I am fairly sure that stars and other objects will have a basic numerical designation until colonized by one race or another. But who the hell really knows at this stage of the game.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 10:53:22 pm »
I agree. I think we don't know it, but the developers do.  :P
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 05:28:22 am »
we shall see. i dont think ít will take too long before we have a releasedate or demo.
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 05:32:22 am »
A lot of things in the game dont need names, as we arent playing through the eyes of our own creations, but rather as a guiding hand in their own natural course through existance. Im certain that most of it will just be ad-libbed in our minds, if we interpret the game as a story.

Offline Switch

• Fire Truck Driver
  • That thing on the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 08:10:07 am »
Auto-generating names wouldn't be a huge problem... at least not for those guys. :P Just have a bunch of prefixes, suffixes, and maybe one or two syllables for the middle of the word, and switch randomly between them for different combinations. I would imagine this would be one way they could do it. Though hopefully they will give you the option to rename things as you see fit.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 08:13:43 am »
i think most things will be named maually before they are loaded, and thats it.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 08:27:09 am »
I you create your own planet, you just put the names of mountains and things like that on it by yourself, only the planets that are procedural generated need a procedural naming system... but at a time the whole galaxy is only filled with player-made planets and with player-made names too.  ;)

Proud owner of:

Offline Noflunk

• Mystery House Madman
  • Why is his head soooo big?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 08:36:29 am »
I feel that you get to name things you have direct control over (IE your creature, vehicles, cities (?) and your planet) now what would be interesting if you could name uninhabited planets. Im just assuming that inhabited planets would have other people creatures on it thus already being named. But I feel that being able to name things has always been a staple of Maxis games

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 12:44:59 pm »
Yes, and... now you say that, I found another problem... Somebody who is pissed off because he's penis creature is deleted can change planet names in Cock, Penis, Vagi.... oh well, you get it.

Proud owner of:

Offline Noflunk

• Mystery House Madman
  • Why is his head soooo big?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 01:01:53 pm »
I would hope that the same screening of creatures would be implemented in the naming of them as well. It probably would be easier for the programmers to just make of "banned" words, much like this website has. And yes to jump to the next thought about people using symbols (aka things like A$$) im sure we can always report it in.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 06:44:12 pm »

Looking at your screen name..is /that/ procedurally named?