Author Topic: Confirmed: Brian Eno writes the soundtrack for Spore  (Read 4776 times)

Offline Amberfox

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
Confirmed: Brian Eno writes the soundtrack for Spore
« on: January 16, 2007, 07:25:38 am »
Don't know if this is actually something new (I used the search-function but didn't find anything related):
Today the german game-magazine Gamestar announced that Brian Eno will write the soundtrack for Spore:

http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc/spiele/strategie/spore/1467527/spore.html

".....It has now been announced that the british musician, composer and producer Brian Eno is responsible for the soundtrack of the simulation and is working closely with Maxis/Electronic Arts...."

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
Re: Confirmed: Brian Eno writes the soundtrack for Spore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 07:31:44 am »
well that's quite nice.... :)
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 08:04:10 am »
That's good.

I think they were very much leaning in that direction anyway, but at least we now know.

Offline Xenomorph

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:06:21 am »
aaah. ambient.....good choise maxis!  ;)

brrr...thinkin about the idea of flying trough space on MASTERS OF HARDCORE... :D
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:09:31 am »
Now in English:
Eno's unique Spore soundtrack

Actual Source!
Generativity plays a role in many fields now, with gaming being no exception. Also built around this notion and probably one of the currently most eagerly awaited games is Will Wright's Spore, for which Brian Eno, as he revealed, will be making the soundtrack! He was asked to do it, because the designers wanted sound that is just a procedural as the game itself, instead of the loops which are tied to certain stages or areas which we are used to experience in games. He went on to demonstrate a simple software called "The Shuffler" which he uses to create fragments for the soundtrack of Spore and which even with a simple combination of samples possibly would never create the same composition twice within a lifetime.

Offline Xenomorph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 08:12:49 am »
Now in English:
Generativity plays a role in many fields now, with gaming being no exception. Also built around this notion and probably one of the currently most eagerly awaited games is Will Wright's Spore, for which Brian Eno, as he revealed, will be making the soundtrack! He was asked to do it, because the designers wanted sound that is just a procedural as the game itself, instead of the loops which are tied to certain stages or areas which we are used to experience in games. He went on to demonstrate a simple software called "The Shuffler" which he uses to create fragments for the soundtrack of Spore and which even with a simple combination of samples possibly would never create the same composition twice within a lifetime.

thats the way aha, aha, i like it!
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 08:17:21 am »
i like the way they sneaked that little, Spore is due for release in the second-half of 2007., on the end, although this is the most likely thing to happen they don't know when it's going to be released for sure.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:26:32 am »
I had assumed for a long time now, that the music was going to be procedurally generated. In the demos, it had pattern, but it also had something of a broken, unpredictable rhythm. When Brian Eno got in one one of the talks, that only solidified my opinion even more. The bits of music we can hear during the talks and demos seem to have the right kind of feel for a game like Spore.

The thing is though, that in other Maxis games, its been a little pleasure to slip in my own mp3s to the games music folders (which were suitably divided, so I knew when they would be played). I wonder if this will still be possible with Spore. I wonder if our own music would normally just ruin the atmosphere of the game. At a long stretch, its a nice thought to imagine us being able to add samples and tweak rules, to create completely new pieces of procedural music. Still, thats just a daydream, not very likely, but I do wonder about how we'll be able to tell the game which music we like (so it will reinforce/prefer those 'musical rules').

I do recall the music changing, depending on which civilisation the camera was hovering over in the older demos. If the music rules are also saved, along with other information of a species, when another player stumbles into them with their UFO on a distant planet... they might hear backing music that we, the species creator, specified. This might not happen, just another what-if, but what if a fight was to break out between our species in someone elses game-world, and the exploring UFO? The exploring UFO's species combat music may just override everything, but it would be interesting if the music was a mix of both species combat music. This is of course assuming we get to do the like/dislike thing with combat music (assuming we still get to mark music rules as like/dislike at all now).

Offline captainjp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 08:30:18 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYr323Rqy8c is one of the soundtracks i like (its just a part)

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 09:19:04 am »
I wonder how long it will be before we have an actual, official confirmation (or denial  :o ) and if Mr. Eno was actually allowed to tell anyone. 
My guess is tomorrow or the beginning of February.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 09:30:13 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYr323Rqy8c is one of the soundtracks i like (its just a part)
Hey, I like it too, maybe because I live about 10 km from you.  :P
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline FoxSpirit

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 11:44:08 am »
Brian Eno and Will Wright talk Spore

http://fora.tv/fora/fora_player.php?c=355&u=0&
Cellphone ringtones, the Chinese water-torture of our time.

Offline rustybrazenfire

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 11:48:29 am »
Weren't we told in one of the videos that we'd be able to listen for other civilizations in the universe, similar to how SETI 'listens' for extraterrestrial life?  It'd be neat to hit on a civilizaiton and have their musical signature be what you hear.  It might even tell you something about them!

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 11:50:26 am »
Updated the Wikipedia article.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 01:01:09 pm »
I'm really disappointed.  I don't like any of the procedural music I've heard from him / anyone else.  I'd rather it be a set soundtrack to be honest =|

Ah well, it's not that big of a deal I guess.