Author Topic: Woman Dies Trying to Win a Wii...  (Read 16474 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Woman Dies Trying to Win a Wii...
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2007, 12:07:02 pm »

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2007, 12:20:24 pm »
Thanks. A little key quotage for those who cant be bothered to follow the link (which is normally me) :

"Initially, County Sheriff John McGinness had said that there were no plans to open a criminal investigation, since Ms. Strange had entered the contest on her own free will.

But in audio recordings which have been posted on the Internet, the DJs are heard joking about contestants dying of water intoxication, even referencing the death of Matthew Carrington, a student who died after drinking too much water during a fraternity hazing. A caller, who identified herself as Eva, also phoned in to the show to warn that the stunt could kill, but she was dismissed by being told that contestants had "signed releases, so we're not responsible."
Not responsible my ass!

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2007, 02:38:01 pm »
Ok the really sad thing is they seem to have had her in drinking all this water which a shown they discussed might be dangourus and then sent her home? Ok theres like ohing right in that why did they send her home? For starters for the purpose of the compitition they would wont her to stay around to find out when she gets knocked out. So you think they would want to keep an eye on contestents if not for health reasons then for the sake of the compitition.

Hopefulyl by keeping the contestents around they would have noticed if a problem was arising and acted hopefully before it was too late. Normalyl when it comes to friverlous lawsuits I'm 1st in line saying get your hand off it you were the idiot who spilt coffee on your self. This how ever the Radio station was clearly negligent.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2007, 04:33:36 pm »
Hm. This has shifted slightly in my mind reading the few above posts. Now the summary is:

"NEWSFLASH - Radio station found to be incredibly stupid. Callers very slightly less stupid."

I can guarantee if you it was your mom, you would want someone to be held responsible for it and you would want help for your dad who would be struggling.

No you can't.

I have zero tolerance or patience for idiocy coming from anyone. The only grievance i'd feel if a close relative died because of an act of their own stupidity is the sheer tidal wave of disgust that I was related to someone so insipid. And in turn, though I wouldn't make it known out loud at the time, is that i'd feel a degree of contempt at anyone grieving over it, as well.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2007, 05:22:23 pm »
It does however make me wonder though, why people would want to take part in the competition when even the announcers on the radio were talking about water intoxication and how it was lethal for others. They showed a complete disregard for safety, that cant be denied, but by the sounds of it, at least some of the people taking part would have known about water intoxication through the very show asking them to drink absurd amounts of water, but decided to go through with it anyway? :/

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2007, 05:37:35 pm »
So the radio station knew this was dangerous, they made jokes about people dying and they laughed off a call from a nurse warning about possible death.

"Homicide detectives are investigating the death of a woman believed to have been killed by drinking too much water in a radio station contest." Obviously they think something is really wrong with this.

The woman did enter the contest of her own free will but if the station knew the danger, they should have had medical personnel available or made sure the final contestants were okay. I'm not going to say whether the family should or should not sue the radio station, that's their decision but I"m not going to sit here and fault them for doing it.

Maybe it's hard understand until you experience the sudden death of a close family member but the comments of disgust and contempt over this really make me sad.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2007, 05:52:55 pm »
I have zero tolerance or patience for idiocy coming from anyone. The only grievance i'd feel if a close relative died because of an act of their own stupidity is the sheer tidal wave of disgust that I was related to someone so insipid. And in turn, though I wouldn't make it known out loud at the time, is that i'd feel a degree of contempt at anyone grieving over it, as well.

Wow. You have my pity, both for being incredibly cold and also for failing to realise that the act of stupidity was on the radio station's part; the woman was merely ignorant, not stupid.

You know, you should be glad this is the internet. I'd love to see what would happen if you said what you said to her family.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
I'm sure you would, but i'm nowhere near stupid enough to say that to them personally. See how that plays into it? I'd get my face kicked in, so saying it would be stupid, so it'd be my own damned fault and i'd expect no quarter or pity in the matter. I only give what I expect, to be frank with you.

As for cold, that's entirely relative. I think too many people take a fluffy disneyland oh-so-merciful view of what essentially amounts to insipid dumbassery. Which is also entirely relative.

And really, I consider ignorance to just be a branch of stupidity.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile

You don't know anything about what happened at my last family reunion, but I wouldn't call you stupid because you don't know the story about Aunt Amy getting drunk.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:16:22 pm by Vivec »
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2007, 06:11:28 pm »
She was ignorant of not know about what toxication you can't blame someone for ignorance if you don't know something how in the hell are you do you know you are supposed to be knowing what it is that you don't know.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2007, 06:17:18 pm »
You know, you should be glad this is the internet. I'd love to see what would happen if you said what you said to her family.
Thats a bit of a strange line. Best way I can put it is to imagine somebody jumping off a diving board into a pool, then someone says "You should be glad that was a swimming pool. I'd love to see what would happen if you had jumped off headfirst onto a concrete parking lot."

You don't know anything about what happened at my last family reunion, but I wouldn't call you stupid because you don't know the story abot Aunt Amy getting drunk.
Thats not really ignorance though is it? The details of those events arent readily available, wheras when it comes to the body, we have a fairly good compass for what is bad for us in our pain/nausia reactions, and by the time you are considered adult (at least in terms of age), you've lived for a good period of time in that body, so you're pretty familiar. Its not common knowledge that you can die if you force yourself not to sleep for a large period of time, but its common knowledge that its not good for you, and those who go through a single night without sleep can already feel the strain, by doing the same thing again for the next few nights as your exhaustion keeps mounting up, you will cross plenty of points where you should wonder if its really safe/sane to be doing what you're doing. The trouble is, people get used to this hovering air of immortality. People go through life in little bubbles of survival apathy, and the longer they go without trouble, the safer they feel the world is, and slowly edge towards doing silly things under the thinking that "Its harmless, its only -insert item of concern here-." Some prefer to error on the side of caution, and some just shrug and think about how unlikely it seems that something could go wrong.

Its like the friend who toys with their mobile phone (cellphone) in their hand, flipping it, or spinning it on their palm. They'll stand near a sewer grate whilst they talk to you, boredly playing with the little expensive item in their hands, safe in the thinking that they're pretty good at spinning it, and that if it falls it probably wont break irrepairably. Then one day, when it eventually falls in the drain rather than clacking onto the floor, they wake up. In the same way that people cant care for every death that is shown in newspapers, on the internet, in the news, in magazines, people shouldnt worry about every little possible bad occurance. The trouble is, when you grow so dulled to the idea of something actually going more wrong than you believe was possible, it catches you completely off-guard. Drinking until you wet yourself or throw up, and other similar "jackass generation" frat-style games, are one of the things you really dont want to have an "I didnt expect it to get that bad" moment with.

Though its worth noting though, Luminar, that a similar thing applies to numbing yourself to apparently stupid deaths, or the endless rush of "someone else croaked today"s that the media pushes towards us. After you get sick of hearing about them all, it becomes too easy to dismiss everything of this nature as idiotic and deserved. We dont know the family, and theres next to no chance of the family stumbling across all of this, but even with that seperation from the situation, there is a line somewhere that when crossed, becomes a bit distasteful y'know?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:47:28 pm by Uroboros »

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2007, 06:18:41 pm »

You don't know anything about what happened at my last family reunion, but I wouldn't call you stupid because you don't know the story abot Aunt Amy getting drunk.
Thats not really ignorance though is it?

ignorance
–noun the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc

In my example, he lacked the knowledge.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2007, 06:22:46 pm »
At least try to empathize with the family...

I know empathy is very hard (See: Impossible) for some of us here to express but you can't go around looking at things with your pseudo tough-guy attitudes all the time.

I mean... unless you want to look like complete jerks. If that's the case then keep on keeping on.

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2007, 06:37:20 pm »
I'm sorry, but I find it pretty hard to believe that if your own mother died as a result of her own actions, let say she died of lung cancer after smoking cigarettes all her life which I consider to be a stupid thing to do, you would not grieve. I find it very hard to believe that you would feel contempt for her, your own mother. Perhaps it's just the lack of tone that the internet carries, but your posts ring of bravado rather than truth.

Stupidity is a relative term. If I died from an axe to the head because I didn't know there was an escaped lunatic running around is that my fault or the axe murderers? If you die wrapped around a tree because you didn't know there was a sharp bend in the road is that your fault or the governments for not putting up signs at dangerous corners?

This woman honestly didn't know that she was putting her life at risk. If I were in her position I wouldn't have known either. People always tell me that water is good for you, that it flushes out your system and keeps you healthy. We are told to drink 1L a day but is 1.5 dangerous? 2? 3? You cant always know everything that's bad for you but you expect that if someone is publicly hosting some kind of competition or public entertainment that they would have your safety as their highest priority. If not because it's the law then because it's the compassionate thing to do.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2007, 06:39:44 pm »
Manslaughter shouldn't be a crime because the so-called "victim" was just too ****ing stupid to know how to defend himself.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD