Author Topic: Meet the Fockers  (Read 5841 times)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Meet the Fockers
« on: June 26, 2005, 08:18:04 am »
I finally saw this movie last night.. omg.. too funny. Almost better than the first movie, Meet the Parents. It's hilarious. Watching it again today.
Definately a must rent if you haven't seen it. :D

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Meet the Fockers
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 08:20:27 am »
I finally saw this movie last night.. omg.. too funny. Almost better than the first movie, Meet the Parents. It's hilarious. Watching it again today.
Definately a must rent if you haven't seen it. :D

I saw it in the theaters, everyone there was laughing out load throughout the movie. Definately a good movie.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 08:56:12 am »
Really?  Some say it was hilarious and others say it was typical American slapstick comedy with the same old jokes. so i don't know what to believe.  I'm not a huge fan of these family-comedy movies anyway if i'm honest.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 09:04:22 am »
Well, I"ll put it this way, I don't normally laugh out loud during movies even if I find them funny. This one had me laughing out loud. The best part of it was the use of the baby/toddler. I didn't think it was so slapstick as good use of the interactions between characters. I really liked it. You might see it different so I'd be curious to know what you think if you see it.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 09:20:13 am »
If i ever see it i'll be sure to share my thoughts on it, Lady.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 08:56:44 pm »
I didn't really think of it as family comedy... I mean the lady's a sex therapist, but I guess the definition of family comedy is changing.

I personally thought it was pretty good, but I like DeNiro better in Analyze This/That.

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 06:49:12 am »
I hated the first one, but I'm weired that way.  I hate Ben Stiller, not funny at all.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 01:26:23 pm »
yeah i can't stand Ben Stiller either, and im not a fan of typical american comedies. I like Adam Sandler (most of the time) though

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 01:29:35 pm »
I'm surprised you guys hate Ben Stiller. He's pretty good.  Did you know Ben Stiller's dad is George's dad on Senfeild and Carrie's dad on King of Queens?  I hate Pauly Shore. I guess its all personal taste.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 01:31:51 pm »
Ben Stiller's dad

His name is Jerry Stiller.

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 08:04:51 am »
I'm surprised you guys hate Ben Stiller. He's pretty good.  Did you know Ben Stiller's dad is George's dad on Senfeild and Carrie's dad on King of Queens?  I hate Pauly Shore. I guess its all personal taste.

You know I don't mind Pauly Shore, especially in Son in Law.  Your right, its deffinatly personal taste.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 08:36:57 am »
Definitely personal taste. Ben Stiller is one of those guys that I'd rather punch in the face than watch in the movies. I don't know why, he's just one of those people.

Offline pfellah

• Contributor
  • Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 08:30:40 pm »
Here's the thing for me, and the reason I didn't like the second one all that much.

The first one was GREAT. Possibly one of my favorite comedies of all time. Because it was grounded in reality. An exaggerated reality, but the basic situations were somewhat "normal" -- meeting prospective inlaws, having them judge us, having to stack up against an ex-boyfriend, trying to say or do the right thing and having it turn all wrong... those are fairly universal human experiences. Granted, Greg Focker's experiences were then turned up to 11 on all fronts but it started from a point of him being a normal guy who just made wrong steps at every turn.

The second one was ALL exaggeration and lost its grasp of what made the first one funny... the universality of the situations. When you're trotting out uber-smart babies, parents who are beyond any normal definition of socially clueless, and possible illegitmate children with the housekeeper, at that point it's just become a glorified sitcom.

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 07:53:46 pm »
I liked this one much better than the first.  In the original I thought that Greg (Stiller's character) should have dumped his girlfriend and her family and kept it at that.  I couldn't stand the Byrneses.  The movie did too good of a job at making me hate them and I didn't feel that Greg should have tolerated them.

With Meet the Fockers the writers and the producers seemed to get that and they gave DeNiro's character what for.  While Greg was still the butt of some jokes (I said butt!  ;D) he had his parents to back him up so that he didn't have to be a victim, something the original lacked.  Overall it was more balanced and also had funnier jokes, even though some of them were recycled.  If one were to ask me about seeing this one before Meet the Parents I'd encourage them to do so as this one is a funnier film.

And it's definitely not a family film...at least not for families with little kids.  I was embarrased to watch this with my own parents but they really liked it too.
"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 10:27:58 pm »
If i ever see it i'll be sure to share my thoughts on it, Lady.

uh oooohhhhh...

I personally thought this movie was hilarious
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 10:47:24 pm »
Not really a big fan of ben stiller either but, i the writing was definatly on point.