Author Topic: City planet?  (Read 9539 times)

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
Re: City planet?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 07:45:19 am »
I hope so. A Courescant (sp?) planet would be so cool
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline itit2

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 10:38:38 am »
imagine it from orbit, that would just be too good, especially if it covered oceans too! just one massive grey blob!
'don't think of yourself as an ugly person, rather a beuatiful monkey'

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 12:29:04 am »
wow, that would be pretty cool, shoot it from above with my death ray and watch the fires spread. FUN!

Offline ZCloud

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 07:06:29 am »
If your planet begins as a metalic planet, it might be possible that the creature on that planet might be metalic too.

It is just that stuff like Al, Fe will replace the C and H in our body  ;)

Offline itit2

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 08:57:02 am »
wouldn't they find it a bit hard to move....or am i just being really stupid ???   some how i doubt you would have metal lifeforms.
'don't think of yourself as an ugly person, rather a beuatiful monkey'

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 09:47:37 am »
Anything is possible.. but it's more likely to have a Silicon lifeform then one made out of metals. Tohugh silicon would be a weak bond and could only be sustained in the right gravity... cause if you were made of silicon and fell out of your chair, there is a chance your head could pop off
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 04:46:03 pm »
I find the ignorance of humes exceedingly disturbing.

Why are all aliens portrayed as organic creatures with the same characteristics as one's self? This abomination was just disgusting in things like Star Trek.

Life can assume many forms. It can be something of flesh like ours. But even if, it does not mean they would walk on legs and have any tentacles or a head. Unless they were created by us. In which case they would be something cliche. The only thing I regret are the absences of elves and catgirls. They were the best kind of unrealistic aliens.

A creature of metals would make perfect sense and should be obvious. A common mistake is that it would be something like a hume made of steel. Though one can not be blamed for that mistake. And on silicon, do you realize that if you fall out of your chair with sufficient force, you could die yourself? But then again, creatures that have reached the needed level of evolution to create chairs surely have had enough safe-guards against such a simple and pointless death.

A life-form is not what you may think. It does not need mobility, a working internal support system, nor even a brain. All a lifeform needs is the ability to convert resources into copies of itself, as we do. Other unusable resources that could potentially be used for other lifeforms' progress should be converted into tools and other things that would aid our progress whilst also hindering the progress of others. I'm not sure what the reward for the winner is, but the entire race may be upgraded or something.

I can't wait until the actual war begins. That'll be a blast. Although sometimes I regret placing my bet with the humans.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 07:35:03 pm »
Eh..? I am pretty sure it was human... you got it right once... :-p

What are you trying to say? It seems to me you are implying that you are some sort of being above humans. To this I say, perhaps someone needs to seek help in the form of state/government-provided shelter and care, you know like an insane asylum? :-p

I'm messing around obviously.

No one is saying that a humanoid life form is the only type of life form out there, but it's the one we can relate most with and that is easiest for us to understand. Star Trek (especially the later series) included alot of races that were beyond the physical plane of existance or were so different from us. What should upset you more is Star Wars, which portrayed only one type of dominant life besides the Hunns. Humans. Life can exist in any form, but it is easiest for humans to deal with things that are close to what we know, it's how our mind works. So that's why a majority of Science Fiction revolves around humans/humanoids and such.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 09:42:52 pm »
Early lifeforms interest me, because they were so varried and from the moment life began it has become less and less varried. If, you realise that out of trillions of ways to combine chemicals only two systems surrvived to today, you begin to understant the importance of all life.

Early kingdoms of life were wittled down to form the distinctive differences we know today.
Now that we have begun to explore the deep oreans we can find life using the same chemical system but in very different ways.

I imagine that of all the planetary bodies in our solar system only one other might harbor life and only two others might even have had a chance to develope rudementary life.

Mars allways comes to mind, but of all the moons only Europa and Titan offer promising conditions.

if you wanted to you could begin experimenying into Si/ metal based life, but how would you know where to look for their amino acids?

Anyway, the prospects of lifeforms opperating on different elements is interesting, but the CHON mix seems to be important to life, experiments made into Amino Acids and spontanious formation are proving fruitful and one day may finaly prove spontanious life can come about within certain conditions.
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline ZCloud

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2005, 07:37:38 am »
Early lifeforms interest me, because they were so varried and from the moment life began it has become less and less varried. If, you realise that out of trillions of ways to combine chemicals only two systems surrvived to today, you begin to understant the importance of all life.

Early kingdoms of life were wittled down to form the distinctive differences we know today.
Now that we have begun to explore the deep oreans we can find life using the same chemical system but in very different ways.

I imagine that of all the planetary bodies in our solar system only one other might harbor life and only two others might even have had a chance to develope rudementary life.

Mars allways comes to mind, but of all the moons only Europa and Titan offer promising conditions.

if you wanted to you could begin experimenying into Si/ metal based life, but how would you know where to look for their amino acids?

Anyway, the prospects of lifeforms opperating on different elements is interesting, but the CHON mix seems to be important to life, experiments made into Amino Acids and spontanious formation are proving fruitful and one day may finaly prove spontanious life can come about within certain conditions.

Good post golgrig, as we know life has to start somewhere. It makes sense that the first lifeform appears when certain elements or compounds happens to be somewhere at the right time. Of course that is unless if you believe in religion, where god makes everything and there is no need for science explanation.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2005, 08:19:38 am »
We've already had this discussion. Look further down the topic list.

Please do not leave flamebait around as it attracts the trolls.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2005, 12:42:07 pm »

RARRR! ME SMELL FLAME BAIT!!!!

Offline Gavin

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2005, 07:43:33 pm »
Lets just hope when one places a city in spore it does not have a limit to how large it can be; like in Black & White. However, the cities shown in the GDC presentation, including the colony, all appeared to be quite small. Perhaps it's to early to tell at this stage of development.

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2005, 07:58:56 pm »
Ah, yes. In B&W I remember placing huts all over the terrain. I started out in one city, and then when I continued my mega-city it expanded into another and the huts began being of another culture. I hope something like that is possible.

What are you trying to say? It seems to me you are implying that you are some sort of being above humans.

I might be. I might be a crackpot. Anonimity does that to a person. I might even be a combination of trans-dimensional being and crackpot. Nobody knows! Not even me!

Fo' sho' I know I'm something that looks human and is eternal.

As always, you are neither required or expected to believe anything I say. In fact, I strongly discourage it.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2005, 09:00:05 pm »
Per chance, good sir, have you been reading the "Hitchhiker Guide" books?