Author Topic: The Gun Topic  (Read 102638 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Re: The Gun Topic
« Reply #855 on: July 27, 2016, 09:52:18 am »
Gee... I wonder why? Pass the rocket launcher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Nordic_Biker_War

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #856 on: July 27, 2016, 10:55:01 am »
Whoooooooa.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 04, 2016, 04:13:17 pm »
Bought a new toy. I finally caved in and bought a deadly black semi-automatic death machine-gun AR! Gun control people, FEAR ME!

OK, not quite. $200+tax later I now own a Henry AR7 Survival Rifle.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMCBXu-HpoA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMCBXu-HpoA</a>

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #858 on: August 04, 2016, 05:13:43 pm »
That's awesome. Was this your answer to the scout rifle thing?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #859 on: August 05, 2016, 08:11:29 am »
Lego, a friend of mine has an AR-15 that he had built by a guy in his hometown. This is something that interests me. Pretending I could actually afford this, what kind of things should I know before learning more about AR-15s?

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 05, 2016, 04:34:19 pm »
I can fieldstrip and rebuild one blindfolded (thank you US Army). What I know of building one is limited.If you are not sure, and low on funds, get a lower receiver and a couple high-capacity mags and build the rest in the future.

This is a good video of a basic build of an AR-15

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8sY5CQmlHI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8sY5CQmlHI</a>

If you are really concerned about the future, find an 80% lower and pay cash.

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #861 on: August 06, 2016, 07:22:26 am »
Was thinking of going the SBR route with whatever I build. That seems like a relatively painless process, but a long one.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 06, 2016, 10:48:21 am »
The SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) route is a little messy with AR-15 Lowers. On the form you need to register the lower's serial number and the barrel length you are going to build the weapon to as well as the overall length. It becomes a bit of a paradox. You have to be able to build the weapon to the desired specification if the cops investigate, but you can't build the gun until you have the Tax Stamp.  You technically cannot even have the short barrel in your possession while waiting for the tax stamp because it creates a state called 'constructive possession'.  Moral of that story, if you buy the barrel early, store it on a different property that the lower until you get the tax stamp.

If you have the cash though, you could buy an AR-15 pistol and after the non-pistol lower is tax stamped, put the upper from the pistol on it. Just do not put the rifle upper on the pistol lower if the overall length will exceed 26".

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #863 on: August 06, 2016, 10:51:28 am »
Oh interesting. Okay.

I'm okay with waiting for the stamp. Gives me time to save up. Just need to talk to a few people I guess and figure it all out.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 29, 2016, 12:22:02 am »
I love that survival rifle! Looks so nice and sleek, and the concept seems to be well executed.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on concealed carry weapons, preferably something that a small person like me could carry daily and use if needed. From what I understand, (and I do so poorly,) I want to get something cheaper, that I won't be screwed by losing it to the police evidence system if I use it in a self-defense situation (apparently, that happens)
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 29, 2016, 05:26:56 pm »
There have been a ton of really good guns brought to market over the last few years. If you should ever have to use it, consider it gone. Yeah you might get it back, but it could take years. On that note, you'll probably drop it, scratch it, and ding it. It is a tool, not a trophy. You want to have something pretty, don't make it your carry.

There are a hundred questions that could be asked, but I'll try to see if I can find a starting point.

Do you have other guns? Something to consider is commonality of ammo.
Have you fired other guns? Do you have any starting preference? Semi-auto, revolver, single-shot? Caliber?
How often do you think you will be able to practice?
Does your state require conceal carry or can you open carry?

A short background on my choice, which ended up being a Ruger LCR .38 Special, I handled a bunch of small 'pocket-pistol' semi-auto handguns 20 years ago and they were crap and I would never risk carrying one unless it was my only choice. That experience severely impacted my choice when I made it four years ago. However, over the last four years I've come to respect a lot of the modern tiny semi-automatic handguns that many of them, at least from establish manufactures, I would be willing to trust almost as much as my revolver.

Almost....

If it hits the fan, you are going to be going to have to act fast, things should be as simple as possible, and any extra step is just one more thing that could go wrong. My revolver has no manual safety,and no exposed hammer. I draw, I point, I pull the trigger. If the round fails (misfire), I pull the trigger again and another one rotates in to position and gets a chance.  All this simplicity comes at the cost of only five rounds available, a slower reload time, and a slightly thicker firearm making it slightly harder to conceal. However fully loaded it weighs less than a pound and I hardly notice I carry it.

Striker-fired (example Glocks) are almost as simple to operate but come in semi-auto formats and they are very compact and many have very reliable histories. The biggest hang up with some semi-autos is that they can be fickle with ammo types (failure to feed) and improper holds can cause poor operation (limp-wristing).

My personal opinion is to stay away from anything you need to cock (1911 and clones), anything that requires an extra manual step (dropping a safety, especially one that is counter-intuitive (M9 Beretta), and anything that is not 'drop safe' with a round in the chamber and the safety off.

If you have a thought process let me know. PM me if you would rather. Also, Youtube has a huge collection of knowledgeable people, as well as a bunch of quacks, but it can't hurt to start.

-Lego

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 30, 2016, 04:46:36 am »
I love that survival rifle! Looks so nice and sleek, and the concept seems to be well executed.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on concealed carry weapons, preferably something that a small person like me could carry daily and use if needed. From what I understand, (and I do so poorly,) I want to get something cheaper, that I won't be screwed by losing it to the police evidence system if I use it in a self-defense situation (apparently, that happens)

Surely you want something elegant and ladylike?

(Probably actual size)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 30, 2016, 10:56:02 am »
With an accuracy of up to four feet!
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 30, 2016, 02:10:15 pm »
Yeah but if you do manage to hit a soft part it will really sting!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #869 on: October 31, 2016, 04:54:45 am »
Giving you plenty of time to run the hell away!