Author Topic: The Gun Topic  (Read 101469 times)

Offline DarkAngel

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Sherrif of the south pacific
    • View Profile
    • My PC
Re: Guns! (and other things that go boom)
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2007, 09:55:09 pm »
I support gun control... If you're hunting or killing pests or whatever you don't need a Glock or an AK or a mac-10...

However, in the US, where every man and his dog seems to have a gun, I dont think it would be wise to suddenly introduce tight gun control laws, because it would be impossible to confiscate all the now-illegal guns.
This would just serve to create a huge arms black-market, which responsible people would not buy from, effectively meaning that if you want to have a powerful gun you have to have underground connections. So by trying to control guns, you would just be taking them from the responsible people while keeping them available to criminals...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_AUG

the aug is pretty much the gun i think looks the coolest....just LOOK at it its COOL
Thats the standard rifle for our army. Its defective. They can go off without the trigger being pressed, and our soldiers have to carry around spare barrels coz they heat up too much! But then again, our army ran out of bullets last year, negotiated to buy the defective Joint-Strike-Fighter's from the US, and terrorists and gang-leaders came into possession of some of our anti-tank weapons, so its no big surprise that we use sub-standard rifles... Then again, it does look "space-agey", doesn't it...

Online Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2007, 02:23:14 am »
To the gun control argument, none of these are anymore dangerous than a .30-06 hunting rifle in good hands.

ah, but are they any more dangerous than a rifle in the -wrong- hands?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2007, 04:01:44 am »
If the guns in the US are supposed to be to deter tyranny, then what says they can't be used to invoke it? A popular people's movement which doesn't need to buy guns on the black markets...that's not good. *Think about the Red Khmer, only with legal guns*

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2007, 09:21:13 am »
guns are only as dangous as the people that hold them.

and i do aprovel of having a gun in a house (pistol, locked up in a heavy duty box if you have kids, they can't get into it, perfulby near your nightstand) if a guy is in my house, i'm going to make sure that he never get the idea again.

interseting fact:if you injury a guy in your home, he can sue you for "mental angish" so if you do that, finish the job.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2007, 09:23:22 am »
guns are only as dangous as the people that hold them.

Unfortunately, people can be violent, and guns go a long way to making that violence far more dangerous.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2007, 11:54:40 am »
interseting fact:if you injury a guy in your home, he can sue you for "mental angish" so if you do that, finish the job.

Sooo...you'd kill before you'd get sued?  :(

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2007, 01:20:20 pm »
No, kill the guy so he can't sue you.

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2007, 04:13:28 pm »
and i do aprovel of having a gun in a house (pistol, locked up in a heavy duty box if you have kids, they can't get into it, perfulby near your nightstand) if a guy is in my house, i'm going to make sure that he never get the idea again.
Keeping a gun locked, unloaded in a security box is a nice idea but if you're keeping the gun for your own protection and a guy is in the house then you have to go get the key (because you'd have to be some kind of moron to keep them in the same place if you're trying to keep the gun away from your kid) unlock the box and load the gun. Do any of you do this? Or do you keep the gun loaded with the safety on within reach while you're sleeping so you can defend yourself if need be? I'm betting on the second one. Which is why children keep blowing their own hands off or worse.

Protecting your family is nice but you're bringing a dangerous weapon into your home which your kids can get ahold of or you're keeping it so locked up that you wouldn't be able to use it in an emergency anyway.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2007, 04:46:20 pm »
A security gun box requiring a push-button combination can be opened in a couple seconds, loading a revolver or semi-auto takes a couple seconds. If you don't have those 5-10 seconds needed to wake up and clear your mind you are not able to make a clear decision about using deadly force.

I have seen a couple really nice gun-boxes that require two adult sized hands to operate but can be opened quickly. If I had interest in using a handgun for self defense I could consider such a box.

I perfer shotguns however. Intially you have a club. A couple seconds after that you have a single-shot shotgun after loading the first round. Every couple seconds after that you can bring more ammo in to the magazine while you cover the doorway. Unlike a hangun, it is easy to add ammo over time. In addition, properly loaded, you can deliver (per shot) as much energy as the entire magaznie of a 9mm handgun and using smaller shot you don't punch through several walls (I prefer to keep Turkey loads on hand).

Shotguns are also easier to hit targets with with an 18" barrel unchoked (minimum legal length in the US) a 12guage shotgun will fire a wad of lead pellets 3/4 or an inch wide around the speed of sound. At 5feet from the muzzle that wad of pellets has spread to be about 5 inches across and at 12 ft (the length or a bedroom) the pattern is now a foot wide. (buckshot will typically have about half those numbers).

Shotguns also benefit from being held at two different points and easier to aim with (handguns tend to cause people to flinch). If you were to mount a falshlight on the shotgun it becomes an aiming device (although I had one for a bit on one of my shotguns and kept snagging it on things (under magazine mount)).

-Lego

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2007, 04:54:03 pm »
I love how this is a serious discussion on gun crontrol and also a forum for gun nuts/enthusists to share opinion on the best guns.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2007, 10:36:27 pm »
But are guns the real problem, or is it the people using them? No offence to the majority of the board, but I think I'd prefer to go to the UK or Canadia (I love calling it that) then the US. My sister went and came back with stories about how ignorant the average yank is.

But as least the Steyr Aug is better then the SA-80.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 12:30:19 am »
...shotguns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancor_Jackhammer

Should I ever be blessed with a daughter in the future, I will make sure to buy a shotgun before she begins dating.

;)

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2007, 12:33:58 am »
I think it's more important to educate kids about firearms if you're going to have them than to keep them locked up and hidden away. The kids who hurt themselves are the ones who aren't taught about the guns and end up stealing the key to the safe from somewhere and having a field day with the "cool gun" without knowing what/where the safety is, whether the gun's loaded, and so on.

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2007, 10:57:05 am »

Protecting your family is nice but you're bringing a dangerous weapon into your home which your kids can get ahold of or you're keeping it so locked up that you wouldn't be able to use it in an emergency anyway.

educating your kids about why guns are not playthings (taking them to a gun range and showing them the power behind these things) education is better gun control than any box.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2007, 12:40:48 pm »
No, kill the guy so he can't sue you.

I meant that(semantics). I still want an answer since I find it a bit alarming someone would think some money is worth more than a life.