Author Topic: The Gun Topic  (Read 101473 times)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: Guns! (and other things that go boom)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 11:44:46 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_AUG

the aug is pretty much the gun i think looks the coolest....just LOOK at it its COOL

and one time i saw some home made handgun on the internet that was made to strong that when he tested it it flew out his hand becose of the power right in his face...i dont know where i found that clip but it was pretty funny.....

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 12:04:15 pm »
In the town my sister lives in everyone leaves their doors unlocked and the police station closes at 11.

That can live like this because everyone there has a gun and is trained how to use them. It's one of those towns where everyone hunts and you would have to be an idiot to try to rob a house in that town. Guns are not just devices of the devil that spread death.

In the town my mom lives in everyone leaves their doors unlocked too, but we don't have guns, none of our neighbors do, i only know of a few people who actually own guns, and those are hunting rifles. As similar as everyone says Canada and the US are, you can see many differences.

In Patman's example they keep their doors unlocked because if someone tried something they would be shot

Whereas where my mom lives, everyone keeps their door unlocked because they simply trust each other. 

Now you can make all sorts of claims to trust but in the 20 years she has livedd in Canada my mom is yet to have someone break into her house or any of our friends.

Don't get me wrong, Americans in general can be great people, but personal experience and  just numbers show that they can be very violent also (why that is is another topic itself). for the US  I think tighter gun control would be a good thing, at least until they gain better control on the number of deaths per year, then they can think about easing restrictions.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 01:17:20 pm »
the aug is pretty much the gun i think looks the coolest....just LOOK at it its COOL

Nah, its too complicated and weird looking. Can't beat a good old-fasioned Dirty-Harry style Magnum.

In the case of Guns being used for a constructive purpose (such as killing the menace we call Deer), I think thats absolutely fine. No-one uses a hand-gun to hunt.
A rifle is hardly something you can conceal, or grab and use on the spur of the moment. With most long arms like that (as far as my understanding goes) you have to reload often, which is time consuming, they take more skill to aim, are more expensive, more cumbersome, and all-round less user-friendly than your average handgun.
Its the sort of weapon that you can use to shoot a fleeing burglar in the leg (provided youve got skill), not something you can commit a crime with.

So heres a crazy idea: Ban small arms.
I think it would be interesting to see what would happen.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 01:18:34 pm »
the second amendment is for when the government ignores the first one

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 02:09:55 pm »
Anyone wanna shoot at people hiding behind the first amendment from my lovely base atop the second amendment?

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 02:40:42 pm »
I always figured the right to firearms was to deter tyranny. For instance, the President decides to ammend the constitution declaring himself leader for life, obviously the army would be in a quandry as to what to do, but the people would have no such problem. For them it would be obvious, resist. An armed populace helps prevent such situations. Anyone remember the move Red Dawn? I always liked that film. :P
My personal favorites are the Five-Seven and the P90. :) Wolverines!!!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 02:52:41 pm »
I always figured the right to firearms was to deter tyranny. For instance, the President decides to ammend the constitution declaring himself leader for life, obviously the army would be in a quandry as to what to do, but the people would have no such problem. For them it would be obvious, resist. An armed populace helps prevent such situations.

<_<
>_>

Wait I thought that was what Checks and Balances were for...

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 03:09:30 pm »
umm, I really have nothing to contribute to this discussion....

...shotguns.
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 03:48:02 pm »
There's a question. What are the situations where you need a gun? What are the justifications for semi-automatic rifles and pistols at home other than that they're cool?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 03:59:14 pm »
Like they said. To protect their country from 'Tyrants'.
Like George the 3rd. The most popular Monarch in British history.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2007, 04:53:58 pm »
I always figured the right to firearms was to deter tyranny. For instance, the President decides to ammend the constitution declaring himself leader for life, obviously the army would be in a quandry as to what to do, but the people would have no such problem. For them it would be obvious, resist. An armed populace helps prevent such situations. Anyone remember the move Red Dawn? I always liked that film.

1. That's not going to happen for many many good and obvious practical reasons.
2. It's silly to suggest that the army or police forces can't do anything.
3. Why do you need guns to have a people's rebellion?
4. Would guns even be useful? The only tyrannical regime that has ever arisen from a democratic regime is (correct me if there are any more) the Third Reich, and that was a regime which was very relaxed on gun control.

It was a good reason several hundred years ago. Now, not so much.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 04:56:50 pm by Daxx »

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2007, 05:34:10 pm »

and one time i saw some home made handgun on the internet that was made to strong that when he tested it it flew out his hand becose of the power right in his face...i dont know where i found that clip but it was pretty funny.....

The AUG is a really cool weapon, but it takes some getting used to. It however looks better on paper than in reality. The port could be set to eject left or right (depending on your shoulder preference) and the concept of changing barrels was novel. Having fired one (I put about 300 rounds through one) I was not very impressed. The optical sight was good for close-quarters, but long-range it wasn't very good and I would have perfered standard iron-sights or a conventional scope. My biggest complaint however was that the ejection port was right below your eye and I found I had minor powder burns on my cheekbone and temple after my ten magazines. I also didn't care for the fast that I couldn't reload the gun without constantly changing hand positions on the weapon. With an M-16, AK-47, or Galil you can continue to point the weapon while reloading with your left hand.

Having compared the AR-15/M16A1/M16A2 (I was in the Army), Galil, AK-47 (civilan model), and the AUG (Z model if I recall) I found that I liked the Galil the most as it had 'the best of both worlds' of the AR-15 family and the AK-47 family. Lack of a bolt hold option kind of bothered me though I never did any shooting beyond 200meters with one I have heard it wasn't as accurate beyond that point. The M-16 family was very nice, but a worn model was nearly worthless, there was no way to ever get a tired one to be reliable. The AK-47 family was fun and cheap to feed. Not as acurate (mine had a plastic front sight) it never seemed to get any worse after several thousand rounds (with steel jacket rounds at that). The AUG comes in last simply because of the odd handling characteristics as well as the ejection port burns I recieved.

If I I was told I had to use any of them to however, all would be welcome. Over all they end up being close.

I still want to try and HK (hard to find in the US), Enfield Bullpup (nearly impossible to find in the US), and the French Bullpup (forgot the name).

To the gun control argument, none of these are anymore dangerous than a .30-06 hunting rifle in good hands.

-Lego
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 05:36:31 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2007, 06:46:28 pm »
I stopped trying argue this point supporters of guns wont be letting go with out a fight and face it they are the side with guns you don't want to be fighting them.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2007, 07:15:15 pm »
The AUG is UGLY AS SIN.

I'm fairly sure that Canada has more restrictions on handguns than the United States, and handguns are responsible for most gun crime if I recall. It makes sense, after all; you can conceal a handgun much more easily than a long rifle. Most handguns are quite weak though; pretty much all deaths from handguns are due to multiple gunshot wounds. The government (FBI?) released a report on the fatality of handgun wounds and found that unless you shoot someone in the heart or the eye, they stand a better chance of living than dying due to the idiotic (from a ballistics standpoint) doctrines used in Law Enforcement Agencies.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2007, 09:18:37 pm »
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]