Author Topic: The Gun Topic  (Read 101512 times)

Online Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Re: The Gun Topic
« Reply #900 on: March 23, 2017, 10:07:34 am »
I mean, why not? I know it sounds silly, but I wasn't exactly kidding with some sort of high-tension crossbow-like device. It would give you the power to put something through body armor (blades behave differently than bullets) while still allowing you to stay away from the absolute deadly force of a handgun or something equivalent.

From what I hear, cops tend to have **** aim. They're gonna need more than just one crossbow bolt to hit a potential threat.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 23, 2017, 11:06:20 am »
Also UK police are issued tasers and they recently rolled out a new model that holds TWO shots, making them twice as non-lethal.

Also as for "that policeman didn't need to die". Who can honestly say?

I heard an eyewitness account on the radio today and the guy said he couldn't be sure the perpetrator was armed until he'd basically stabbed the cop already. Having a gun isn't going to be helpful if someone walks right up to you and then pulls out a knife and stabs you. Not without also making cops project some sort of legal no-go area where you can only get within five meters of them if you have your hands behind your head or they instantly shoot you, which seems a little counterproductive.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #902 on: March 23, 2017, 12:49:21 pm »
Cool! Thanks for all the answers.

Maybe a super taser.

Online Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 23, 2017, 03:38:47 pm »
Haven't looked into the details of this much and I don't plan to because they'll be depressing, so I don't know if the officer being armed would have made a difference.

I guess this is a cultural difference.  To Europeans it probably seems absurd that all our police are armed, to Americans it seems absurd that yours aren't.  It sounds like some of you see armed police as murder machines on a hair trigger, and Americans see.... well, we see Hot Fuzz.

Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 23, 2017, 04:22:12 pm »
Been hearing about this all day,and this one too close for my liking,it makes me angry at how this one attacker got through even though MI5 knew about him.
But all I can think about is If

If the unarmed officer had been given a firearm he might not have died,he might have stopped others dying

If  they stopped him using the car then those four people might not have died

There are so variables and ways it could have played out,but I don't have time to list them all I can only shake my head

Online Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 23, 2017, 04:33:21 pm »
And if the unarmed officer had a gun, how many other people would be dead over the course of many years , who otherwise would not be?

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 23, 2017, 04:45:13 pm »
At that moment in time a gun would have saved him,as for your hypothetical I have no idea

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #907 on: March 23, 2017, 05:36:40 pm »
The difference to me is that the criminal may have had a gun in either case, criminals do what they want. The police will never have a gun in this case, they can't just bring one to work with them because they feel like it. If I were a criminal I'd see that as a massive point in my favor to do whatever the heck I want. And then if I want to armor up I've got even better odds if a gun does show up.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 24, 2017, 02:17:23 am »
Right but again. In the UK even if you're a criminal it's a lot harder to actually get your hands on a gun.

What guns there are are generally in the hands of career criminals and urban gangs rather than Islamist extremists. You really have to appreciate how uncommon guns are here. We're a small island, we have pretty tight control over what come across the channel.

Likewise, because it's a small country with a dense population and lots of large urban centres a properly trained armed response team is always close. Even if cops had guns nothing is going to protect them from the surprise attack, the first shots fired by a terrorist out of the blue. Then the pros are sent out in short order and the incident usually ends quickly, much like it did in this case.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:19:06 am by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 24, 2017, 12:27:48 pm »
Huh. I just realised I have no idea whether Finnish cops have guns.

But I've watched too much TV, so of course I would assume they do. Because Hollywood.

A short googling reveals they do. Brits are weird hippies, then.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #910 on: March 24, 2017, 01:25:53 pm »
Looking through the list of standard-issue firearms and equipment in Finland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_of_the_Finnish_Army

Holy hell you guys have tech cobbled together from all over. Must be fun getting parts.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #911 on: March 31, 2017, 01:42:39 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugbKl-1tI0U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugbKl-1tI0U</a>

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #912 on: April 11, 2017, 03:22:08 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4d9rg87oUg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4d9rg87oUg</a>

Quality.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 14, 2017, 04:53:12 pm »
Right but again. In the UK even if you're a criminal it's a lot harder to actually get your hands on a gun.

What guns there are are generally in the hands of career criminals and urban gangs rather than Islamist extremists. You really have to appreciate how uncommon guns are here. We're a small island, we have pretty tight control over what come across the channel.

Likewise, because it's a small country with a dense population and lots of large urban centres a properly trained armed response team is always close. Even if cops had guns nothing is going to protect them from the surprise attack, the first shots fired by a terrorist out of the blue. Then the pros are sent out in short order and the incident usually ends quickly, much like it did in this case.

Yeah I think sometimes people forget that guns are not armour. They do not stop stabs or bullets. They can in certain situations deter someone. But might in other situations actually escalate things faster. Criminals may decide that if cops are armed and very trigger happy that they them selves must be armed and willing to use the weapon. In a fight or flight situation they my choice fight far more often then flight.

Personally I want to see what studies say in that matter. And I am sure that heaving lethal weapons , non-lethal weapons or no weapons at all all have there pros and cons.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #914 on: April 14, 2017, 06:17:52 pm »
That'd be a cool study to examine.