Author Topic: The Gun Topic  (Read 101531 times)

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
Re: Guns! (and other things that go boom)
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2007, 01:50:17 pm »
I find it a bit alarming someone would think some money is worth more than a life.

Well, sadly, that is in fact the case.
you see, "money" is just used to substitute for anything in the world that you can buy.
You could probably save thousands of sick people if you get a million, then maybe a million is worth more then one life?
Or maybe you can spend the million dollars on buying loads of firearms to fight gangs; or to start a new gang...

It's the sad truth.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2007, 02:06:19 pm »
guns are only as dangous as the people that hold them.

By that merit everything is only as dangerous as the person that holds it. A marshmallow in the hands of a psychopath would be as deadly as a chainsaw. But a flamethrower wielded by a sweet-tempered old lady would be about as effective as a pillow.

It would be better to think of guns as danger multipliers.
Even relatively safe people are transformed into walking hazards simply by holding one.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

gec05

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2007, 02:09:58 pm »
Bad ideas start shifting in your head... :(

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2007, 05:13:21 pm »
Found this off a random link run...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6760530260633420235&q=firearms+training&hl=en

(20 minutes long)

Ever wonder how much proctection your house provides to gunfire?

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2007, 12:58:29 pm »
No, kill the guy so he can't sue you.

I meant that(semantics). I still want an answer since I find it a bit alarming someone would think some money is worth more than a life.

money is not really i was talking meant (money can be replaced). the fact that someone can come into your home when you are home and you defend your self (and in the process, give the person an injury) and having that guy sue you... that like some guy raping a woman and filing for a assult when she trys to fight back.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2007, 02:10:57 pm »
In most states, rape is grounds for the use of deadly force. However, justifying deadly force on someone who has entered your home without permission is much harder. You would have to prove fear of greivious bodily harm or death to you or someone in the home you are protecting (in many states, arson of residence, rape, or bodily harm/death are the only grounds for dealy force).

Keeping a screwdriver nearby to plant in his hand after he dies.... that one is up to you.

-Lego

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2007, 02:21:20 pm »
So...you're saying I have to wait for the guy to rape me before I bash his head in with a lead pipe so I have some evidence he meant no good? Very odd.

In our country its pretty much that you can use a weapon equal to the weapon the guy is carrying, so if he runs at you with a bat you can bat him or if he runs at you with a knife you can get a bit stabby.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2007, 02:22:40 pm »
I would rather have a gun if a guy came at me with a bat or a knife...

Then you can say this epic line...

"I pity the fool who brings a knife to a gunfight"

Offline DarkAngel

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Sherrif of the south pacific
    • View Profile
    • My PC
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2007, 05:33:05 pm »
But as least the Steyr Aug is better then the SA-80.
Didnt the SA-80 get replaced with the far superior L85A2 tho?

educating your kids about why guns are not playthings (taking them to a gun range and showing them the power behind these things) education is better gun control than any box.
To teach kids that guns arnt play-things, you should take them to a gun play-group hobby-association and show them how fun it is to blast things to smithereens with them?

guns are only as dangous as the people that hold them.
Not really. A child is not very dangerous. A child holding a loaded gun is very dangerous.

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2007, 05:37:40 pm »
Additionally, concerning children, I feel that a child of the age of 5 or so is probably far too young to be taken to a gun range and showed how to use it and even if they were that they may not fully grasp the significance of gun safety but a child of 5 would be very capable of disarming the safety (if by accident) and pulling the trigger. Out of interest, does everyone here who has a gun have some kind of security box or cabinet?
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2007, 11:43:44 pm »
No, kill the guy so he can't sue you.

I meant that(semantics). I still want an answer since I find it a bit alarming someone would think some money is worth more than a life.

money is not really i was talking meant (money can be replaced). the fact that someone can come into your home when you are home and you defend your self (and in the process, give the person an injury) and having that guy sue you... that like some guy raping a woman and filing for a assult when she trys to fight back.

To be perfectly honest, in how many cases would he win? In Sweden, most, but in the US, I don't think too many. But you are such a sueing nation... why don't you just countersue?

An unlikely-to-succed legal process is really nothing. After all, you used excessive violence but you walk free(shooting him as opposed to just putting the gun to his head and tell him to get the hell out or knock him out)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2007, 12:54:04 am »
Youtube is most inconveniently down at the moment, but I found an awesome video of a fireworks factory exploding on there. It's one hell of a blast and I know we're all pyrophiles in this topic...

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2007, 03:49:11 am »
Additionally, concerning children, I feel that a child of the age of 5 or so is probably far too young to be taken to a gun range and showed how to use it and even if they were that they may not fully grasp the significance of gun safety but a child of 5 would be very capable of disarming the safety (if by accident) and pulling the trigger. Out of interest, does everyone here who has a gun have some kind of security box or cabinet?

When I was about 5 or 6 my dad taught me to use one of his .22s and about how dangerous it was. From what I remember, he pretty much always kept it out in his shop, but I knew enough not to mess with it when he wasn't around because I'd been taught about it. He did the same with my brothers as well. Where I lived at that age, that was fairly normal, and of all my other friends who were taught about gun safety, none of them accidentally shot or killed anybody. All evidence points to proper gun education reducing gun accidents; you don't have to be 18 years old to understand that something can be dangerous.

Firearms aren't allowed at the dorms here, so I store my guns at my parents' house locked up along with my dad's. Once I'm living someplace that I can keep them I probably won't have a safe or cabinet until I have kids.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2007, 04:46:18 am »
I was taught to shoot by my father, I would go Dove hunting and skeet shooting with him. I've been around them all my life and the area I live in, most people have them. I agree with Syphonbyte, education is a big part of gun safety even at a young age. It takes the mystery away as to what a gun will do. Most people keep their gun in a gun safe and maybe one out in a high place or safe place for quick access. These places can be locked when needed. Some safes can be opened with a hand print for quick access. There are many options. I currently have two shotguns that were my grandfathers and a hand gun. I have taken a gun safety/conceal carry class.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2007, 09:29:35 am »
That part of gun-keeping at least seems to work fairly well. It seems the more guns you have, the smaller is the chance you off yourself with them.  :P Sure, a couple of people shoot themselves accidentally every year but that's just the lovely spice of irony.