Author Topic: Nyctos - New info and Clean up on page 11  (Read 23572 times)

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Nyctos - New info and Clean up on page 11
« on: January 03, 2007, 04:03:23 pm »
The Nyctos, arboreal symbiotic sapients from a planet of the same name. They are nearly at the space phase and are currently developing rocket engines. They are in the same system as my Naukal (see Here) and my sister's Tempori (see Here)

Planet Nyctos (Known to the Naukal as Nactsni) is essentially a giant, steaming, smoggy mangrove swamp. Being smaller than Earth, it has lower gravity. The atmosphere is thick with water vapor and is like a planet-wide cloud. Tall Alikin trees grow up from the water below, which can be anywhere from a mud covered 2 inches deep to 200 feet to the bottom. Large, swimming predators snap up creatures in the water and anything that climbs too low in the trees. The trees themselves are home to several species of sap-sucking animals and the predators that hunt them. Finnally, in the muddy shallows are the decomposers that sift through the blackish gunk and eat the tiny particles of dead organisms.

Anatomy Overview What looks like it's head is actually a Sensory Trunk. The center organ is a large fatty sack that, like the melon of our toothed whales, focuses the high-pitched clicks that they use for echolocation. Surrounding are four nostrils, each leading to a seperate lung in the main body. The Nyctos sense of smell is very accurate; it is comparable to our eyes in locating objects. The trunk is boneless and can be pulled all the way into the body for protection. The mouth, with a pair of ridged bones to act as teeth, has two tubes. The main throat leads down the front of the body, around the rear, and into the Pseudo-Stomach on the back. This gel filled sack functions both as a living space for it's symbiont, Nyctos or otherwise, and as a growing place for a pair of eggs should the symbiont be another Nyctos. The other smaller tounge-like tube leads to the true stomach just below the mouth. The two arms are designed to funtion as both manipulators and balancing legs. The three fingered hands have thick, rough padding on the palm side for use as feet. The three jointed legs are very strong and are used for moving the Nyctos up the curving trunks of it's homeworld's trees. The three toed feet are mainly used for grip.

Reproduction Reproduction is rather complex. The female symbiont places two eggs into a small pouch on the bottom of the pseudo-stomach. The male then fertilises the eggs and nurtures them untill the embryos are stable enough to be left alone. During this time the male spends the day sleeping, using most of his energy to care for the new life inside him. The male then forms a smaller, tougher version of the pseudo-stomach around each of the two. The pair of egg-like structures are pushed out of the pouch and out the mouth. They are then incubated for 16 days or 1 maen, the male constantly checking the embryos through sonar to see if they have developed enough to hatch. Once the young fully fill the sack, the egg is broken open by the male and discarded. Usually both young will be male and guided to the nearest sap well to begin feeding and teaching by the parent. Sometimes one of the young will be female and will be swallowed up by a partnerless male. Having both young be female is extremly rare but not unheard of.

Behavior and Feeding Like most species on it's homeworld, young male Nyctos feed off the sweet sap of the Alikin trees. Unfortunately for them, they are rather inefficient at turning the sap into energy and must feed constantly in order to keep alert for predators. The only time they leave their sap well is when it dries up, when a predator is nearby, or when searching for a female Nyctos for a symbiont. Once they do find a symbiont, they gently swallow it and send it to the pseudo-stomach. Over time, the two beings fuse, their nervous systems meshing together, joining two minds into one. The more immediate results are more benificial. The Females have only three goals in life: Adding their logical mind to the male's emotional one, reproduction, and converting sap into energy for the males. The male drinks his fill of sap and slowly sends it via a duct to the female. The female then easily converts the sap into pure sugars and carbohydrates, some for herself, most for the male. In return for the energy, the male provides protection for the helpless female and a constant food source. If a male is unsuccesful in finding a partner, he will take a temporary one from the local population of non-sapient sap-suckers. This is only to provide a sap prosessor for energy. Once the male finds a true symbiont, he coughs up the substitute and swallows the female. The sap-sucker then goes off completely unaware of the time spent in the Nyctos' pseudo-stomach. Because of this cross-species symbiosis, Nyctos are actually able to partner with just about any species. The only requirements are that they be carbon-based, small enough to fit into the pseudo-stomach and have a central nervous system and digestive system. If a Nyctos senses that it's partner is Sapient, it will neurally bond with the other as if it was a female. Often the joining is not perfect and both fully retain their individuality, but rarely personality traits will mix and there is a one in a quadrillion chance that the two minds will completely merge. If the two retain their individuality, the joining process can be reversed and the partner coughed up unharmed.

Life span Most Nyctos live for 256 of their years or about 85 of our years. Being closer to their sun, their days and years are shorter than ours. Once a Nyctos male hits 16 years he searches the local nesting site for a female partner. If he is unable to find a symbiont he will take a temporary one and get a job in scociety. Still being a full emotional mind, he will usually become an artist, a laborer, or any job that requires the use of the hands more than the mind. A partnered Nyctos will enter a field of science, become a leader, or do any job that focuses more on the mind than the body. There are four castes of Nyctos, unpartnered males, Temporally partnered males, males partnered with another sapient species, and males partnered with a female.

Religion During the last hundred years Nyctos religion has been on the decline as they turn their intrests towards science. During it's peak, however, their beliefs influenced everything from jobs, feeding spots, symbionts, and even when to mate. At it's core, Nyctos religion states that everything and everyone is either 1 or 0, off or on, dead or alive, aggressive or passive, etc. The nature of an object or Nyctos was detirmened by a priest through "essense smelling". It was believed that a priest's sense of smell was so powerful that he could judge the state of the thing just by taking a sniff.

Language The Nyctos language is made up of clicks, whistles, and squeaks too low for use as sonar. The clicks are then heard, like normal sonar, by the frontal or side fluid sacks. These sacks work like our inner ear; the motion of the fluid moves tiny, hair like cells that send the information to the highly developed hearing center of their brain. Individuals are identified by smell.

Numbers Nyctos use a binary number system after their belief in duality. 0 is often tied to emotion, spirits, building, and males. 1 is associated with Logic, thought, speech, and females.

Time
16 sens= 1 maen
16 maen= 1 hal
16 hal= 1 dlen= 1 day
256 dlen= laln= 1 year
4 laln= 1 dalik
4 dalik= 1 cupla= 16 years

Tools and Cities Being in the late civilisation stage, the Nyctos have as wide a selection of tools as humans. Most are used in the building industry. Nyctos cities are multileveled, platform like structures encompassing several trees. Cities are started by selecting a large Alikin tree and streching strong, ropey vines between it and it's neighbors. Then more vines are tied to those, forming a spider-web like base. Several other levels of this are done. Then, branches and sticks are secured between the vine framework to form the floors of the city. The lower floors are used as a communial sleeping and nesting area. The middle floors are often used for libraries, art houses, and studying areas. The upper levels are a bustling trading center for materials, tools, labor, and transportation. The top floor is a landing pad for air vehicles and soon space vehicles. Levels are accessed by climbing up or down the outer trees. The trunks of the trees in the lower levels are riddled with sap wells for feeding. Younger males get first dibs on new sap wells as they need constant feeding.

Whew! Dang that was a long post... Pictures as soon as Spore Planet gets back on it's feet. More on their internal anatomy soon
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 04:21:39 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
Re: Nyctos - My New Spore Creature
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 05:01:23 pm »
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! :) I like It, I didn't understand some cos It was so long I kept missing lines then got confused, but the parts that I got 100% of were awesome, ace Job man. Also I take It you like the letter 'N', Like I like 'Z' :)

The Cities are sorta like some large Zyyo Cities with 2-5 level with levels for multiple things except the Zyyo walk up, or use a lift, guess they could climb up the outside with all there...feet and hands and stuff.

Anyway great Job and can't wait to see the Pics :) :)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:20:37 pm »
Their mating is interesting.

I am sure older Omic wouldn't mind providing a resource for a younger species. :) It might work out well, Omic are small, logical and have short lives, like recycling!
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:25:07 pm »
TLDR

Just kidding. I love it when people put effort into their creatures instead of just pictures. Sounds interesting too. The CoR love fellow parasites. I mean symbiotes  ;).
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 05:29:21 pm »
Their mating is interesting.

I am sure older Omic wouldn't mind providing a resource for a younger species. :) It might work out well, Omic are small, logical and have short lives, like recycling!

:D :D :D HAHA YOU'RE PURE EVIL!!! Ha, no seriously your all right *pats back* think of It as...ummm...no you are evil, sick sick person, well you are human after all.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 05:34:27 pm »
No I am serious, Omic like knowing others benefited from their lives.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 05:36:58 pm »
I loooooooove them.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 05:39:21 pm »
Yeah the Zyyo are the same but they don't go around causing mass suicide for no reason :D yeah they use their lives to benefit others but willingly dieing Just so a creature can get a li'l bit of food or a Job seems kinda...extreme...I'm sure the Zyyo could ship across some of the Nutrient rich plants and fruits from Zyyy, which have loads of protein and vitamins and *drools*

Yes the Zyyo would like to make contact with this race, they're quite curious to learn more.

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 07:10:26 pm »
Nice species, very well thought through.

My Wexxians would love to meet them Im sure. And the Naukal too...

Should a Wexxian cruiser "coincidentally" come across the system and say hi?  :D

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 07:30:28 pm »
cooool
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 09:25:50 pm »
Thanks for all the compliments  ;D
willingly dieing Just so a creature can get a li'l bit of food or a Job seems kinda...extreme...
I think you're a little confused, either that or I didn't word my post right :D. The male gives the female food. The female turns that (allready nutrient rich) food into pure nutrients. The female keeps some for herself and gives the rest to the male. No digestion is involved. The partner goes on with it's life unharmed. It can be hocked up at a moment's notice just as healthy as it entered, sometimes in better health. The only real danger of long term joining is the possibility of muscle loss due to not using them, but that can be reversed through exersise. The male keeps the female alive and in return the female keeps the male alive to let it keep the female alive... The females, being nothing but a digestive system with a brain and reproductive organs, are better off, as they can't defend themselves or gather food. The mind joining happens because the nerves of the two central nervous systems mesh together, like connecting two computers together.
About the Omic symbionts, the only problem is the short life bit. Nyctos are supposed to "mate" for life, all 85 Earth years of it. ;) Size realy is't a problem, they can swallow things bigger than an adverage human, a cow would be pushing it.

About the RP suggestions, like Naujek, Nyctos is in free territory. Come as you please.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 09:39:28 pm »
Very well, the Zyyo will fly Into your system to take a wizz...although I dunno when that'll be.

They kinda treat the females badly but meh I can't complain, It's In their nature so whateva.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 10:07:20 pm »
Spore Planet's still down and I'm getting impatient, so I'll use Imageshack for now

As you can see, the females are nothing but a blob with arms, and even those are only good for maneuvering inside the pseudo-stomach.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 10:09:26 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 10:16:46 pm »
Holy crap :o that's weird...good pics! :) ;) Well I want the Zyyo to meet them soooo...

A small modified Zyyo Stealth Fighter comes out of warp. Theres a large tear down the back right side of the hull but It's fixing Itself.

Inside a Zyyo wakes up. The roar of engines and coming out of hyperspace Is almost totally muffled by the gel It's In, he comes out Into the open looking at his arms and one of his legs. Going Into the cockpit another Zyyo runs him through the Situation and mentions he's found a planet that they can land on, their communications are down so they go ahead.

They crash land In a deep swamp place, Just ahead through come of the trees Is a city.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 10:49:46 pm »
*On a solitary expedition, Klakkalak (closest English approximation) searches the muddy ground on all fours for a difference in density that suggests a mineral vein. Being a temp-bond, he took a job as a city builder and needs the mineral rich clay to cover the floors of the new, unpopulated city. Suddenly a loud roar is heard and the Zyyo ship crashes too close to the surprised Nyctos, stunning him but not completely knocking him out*