Author Topic: Land of the Dead  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Land of the Dead
« on: June 24, 2005, 03:52:39 pm »
Well, it seems that Romero has done it again! Land of the Dead came out today, and let me tell you, it was a glorious hour and a half. Land follows perfectly in the tradition of Night, Dawn, and Day. It plays on the fears and prejudices of our American society today. From the huge gap between social classes, the heightened security measures post 9/11, and fear of the "terrorists" the American government uses on us, Romero has perfectly used the undead to represent such things. Big Daddy, the spiritual descendant of Bub, is an instant classic zombie, and his cohorts, soccer player zombie and butcher zombie, are also memorable. If you watch the film, it is apparent that Romero is a liberal with balls, and in some cases outright defies the status quo of our society in the imagery of Land.

Just one thing. The humans no longer have our full sympathies. The zombies lead an idyllic existence all alone. But then, we come with noisy vehicles and blasting machine guns, ruining their almost-dead lives. As you watch the journey of Big Daddy towards Fiddler's Green, you can't help but root for the zombies as they continue on their grisly approach. Watch carefully, and you'll see Romero's social satire in these scenes. The horror here isn't in the zombies becoming more intelligent, nor is it in the dehumanization of the surviving people. It is in symbolism of these two power groups, and what they represent. A crusade for eternal peace on one side, and a city of vice and debauchery on the other.

The gore is great, and sometimes you can't help but wonder how in the hell they got away with some of the stuff they put in there. Though Tom Savini didn't do the effects, the new guys are pretty good at what they do. It helps that the man Savini himself trained them. Savini's cameo had me applauding, just for the nostalgia of Dawn. The action is a little bit too much for a Romero film, but I'm betting the producers had to force him to put it in. Let's face it, most moviegoers aren't going to notice the social commentary or the symbolism, what they will notice is the gunfights and the fact that lots of stuff blows up. Many were worried that the CGI would dominate the film, but it is really hardly noticeable. The only part that really stood out was the nearly-headless zombie attack scene.

This film ranks definently above Day, and is about as good as Night, but no zombie movie will ever top the sheer awesomeness of Dawn. Not the crap-fest that was Dawn '04, but the 1978 version. A true classic if there ever was one. My advice is to just go see the movie. You'll enjoy it no matter what. The real reason to go see it is to put money in George's pocket, and to prove to him that a new trilogy is a good idea. *Hint, hint*

There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
Re: Land of the Dead
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 06:05:41 am »
I went to a double feature yesterday, saw Land of the Dead and Batman Begins,  for my money I liked Batman more.
where was the story in Land""?  smart zombies.... big truck with missiles.... guy on a skateboard with headphones on, in the middle of the night zombies creeping around!... guy wants 5 million dollars even though there is nowhere to spend it.
the city was a joke, and fiddlers green, people going about their lives.

Land of the Dead is a rental in my opinion
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 03:58:52 pm »
Ah, an average moviegoer. Allow me to introduce you to my Big Stick of Romero Movie Explanation.

1) Smart zombies. You most likely haven't viewed the rest of the trilogy. 1968's Night of the Living Dead. 1978's Dawn of the Dead, and 1985's Day of the Dead. If you had viewed them, you would know that Romero has been building up to this for some time. Big Daddy and his army were nothing next to Bub in Day. He could talk (sort of), shoot a 1911 at a running man and hit him, and even listen to a Walkman. Get used to the smart zombie idea, it's central to the theme of Land.

2) Big truck with missiles. Called "Dead Reckoning" buddy, get the name right before you diss it. Dead Reckoning (Also the first name of the movie before Universal made Romero change it) is an assault vehicle designed by Riley to be used as the ultimate weapon against the dead. This is one hell of a vehicle, to be sure. Able to kill them in droves, the Dead Reckoning is perhaps the coolest post-apocalyptic creation ever in a movie.

3) Mouse. Mouse was the name of the frightened idiot with the skateboard and headphones. His death in the original script was much better. While his part was cheesy, it illustrated the sort of things people do to ignore the problem, even when the problem could sneak right up and bite them in the ass.

4) Cholo and the 5 million dollar ransom. We've grown up our entire lives with paper money being used as the primary unit of trade. It only makes sense that in the end, people would not be smart enough to realize that it isn't worth a damn. Kaufman has built a mini-economy, and created a city in which people bend to the will of money, the thing he treasures most.

5) The City. The city was a very good setting in my opinion. The location and defenses made sense, even though some genius forgot to put another fence on the inner side of the river. The fact that the vices ruled was easy to swallow, as most people just want to forget about the problem.

6) Fiddler's Green. This is the ultimate symbol of human ignorance and decadence in the movie. Rich people go about their buisness, acting like the problem isn't there, when it really is. You begin to wonder is some of them even know that the dead walk outside the walls. Either way, it doesn't matter, because you despise the people inside and what they are doing. The way they ignored the situation was downright terrible, and the way they never thanked the people outside, the ones who made their post-apocalypse Utopia safe, just made me angry.

Well, it's time to hold onto the stick and wait for any others to try and mess with my movie!

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 07:55:15 am »
I'm just glad i didnt spend the price of admission on Romero's sad end to a great series

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 12:31:05 pm »
End? What end? We are keeping on keeping on my friend. Land has pretty much paid for itself (I've been to see it four times already). Universal is already asking him to make another. If he does, you can be sure the Dead movies will continue to come out. Rumor has it that this is the beginning of a new Dead trilogy.

Long live Romero!

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 12:41:24 pm »
I miss the whole spam in a can effect of his earlier movies.
The effects were good and some of the actors really did great, but Land cannot hold a candle to the trilogy of romero's classic movies
I do like the whole "stenches" thing much better than the zom word
Ed: Any zombies out there?
Shaun: Don't say that!
Ed: What?
Shaun: That!
Ed: What?
Shaun: The "zed" word. Don't say it!
Ed: Why not?
Shaun: Because it's ridiculous!

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 10:45:06 pm »
People said the same thing about Dawn and Day all those years ago, golgrig. Now, they are held as the Holy Grail of zombie movies. Give Land twenty years, and the consensus will be the same.