Author Topic: Games for the Wii  (Read 5326 times)

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
Re: Games for the Wii
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 08:43:50 pm »
Fixed.
No.

Whatever way you slice it, SMB3 > Super Mario World. Maybe if you'd said Yoshi's Island, I could have let it go...

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 08:48:04 pm »
Fixed.
No.

Whatever way you slice it, SMB3 > Super Mario World. Maybe if you'd said Yoshi's Island, I could have let it go...

Can you name ANY way that SMB3 is better than SMW? Yoshi, Cape, and Spin Jump>>>>>>Tanooki, Frog, and whatever else. Special world kicks seven different kinds of surfer butt. The Koopa Kids actually have several different attack variants, instead of "I'll shoot you!!!! and jump around!!!". Koopa Klown Copter>>>>>>> All
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 08:54:43 pm »

DISCUSSION OVER.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 08:55:47 pm »
I have to agree Koopa Klown Kopter, Yoshis (Blue yoshi FTW), and that gliding thing from capes are the ****e.

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2007, 08:57:28 pm »
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2007, 09:17:53 pm »
Psh, the cape sucked. Nothing is cooler than flying through the air using your raccoon tail as a propeller. NOTHING. And like Malt said, the Tanooki and Frog suits were awesome. Yoshi, especially Blue Yoshi, made levels way too easy. Blue Yoshi was basically like having a free Power Wing in every level where you could find a Koopa of any colour apart from red.

SMB3 also had far more diverse worlds and more interesting enemies than SMW. The giant world? The desert? The ice world? And what about world 3, with that giant fish that killed you instantly if it ate you? World 7, the pipe world, was a complete bitch to get through and the scrolling levels in world 8 were way more of a challenge than anything in SMW. Did I mention the angry sun? The giant hammer brothers? Those shell guys that threw bricks at you?

The secret world was crappy. Oh wow, the koopa troop wear Mario masks instead of shells and the levels are different colours! What a great reward for beating the secret levels! Also, one of them was called "Tubular".

Oh and the Koopa Kids did have different attack variants. There was the fat one who stunned you whenever he jumped, the guy who bounced around and threw balls at you, and the girl who fired those rebounding hoops. Oh, and that ******* in the glasses who randomly did these really high jumps so that you ended up jumping forward into him instead of landing on him.

SUED
:-*

EDIT: Forgot to bring up the hammer suit. You simply do not argue with the hammer suit.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 09:20:22 pm by Bastardman »

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2007, 09:26:05 pm »
I'm sorry Cape beats Racoon. Cape has that parachute glide thingy.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2007, 10:08:48 pm »
...and the bomb attack. But the tail is still cooler. Anybody can wear a cape.  :(

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2007, 11:21:57 pm »
On a side note: Is anyone else wondering what is taking so long for Nintendo to start releasing some of the really great Virtual Console games? C'mon! Give us Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Metroid, and A Link to the Past! Baseball and Urban Champion don't cut it! :P

They're doing it somewhat strategically from what it appears. Their downloads, based on things I've been reading about, are going quite well and people are purchasing even the smaller games in decent numbers. To release a major title would only drown out those smaller ones. They'll bring out big ones when they feel it's necessary should the VC download numbers drop off, I suspect.

It is smart of Nintendo to give these smaller titles attention, as well as save the big guns for when more people own Wii's (and thus they can get more sales) but the Virtual Console still needs something more. Releasing the original Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. was a step in the right direction, but still, Nintendo should throw us a bone. At least give us Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World!

But what I really can't wait for are the original titles that are coming to the Virtual Console next year later this year!

Fixed.

Super Mario World is a great game, but Super Mario Bros. 3 is still the pinnacle of 2D platforming. 50% of NES owners can't go wrong. :)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 11:51:12 pm by Pilot4Life »

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007, 04:25:08 am »
The main problem is if they release all the titles now then they've shot their wad and got no where else to go. I know they got plenty of titles that are fantastic but if they realese all AAA then people can't afford to download them all and they compete them agaisnt themselves.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 07:15:21 am »
Some things about the VC:

1) The NOE President stated somewhat recently that games never before published for European release would not be available on the European VC service. This, however, flies in the face of what NOJ and NOA have both said on the matter, so we'll just have to see whether he was talking out of his butt again. [Yes, he does that a lot.]

2) SMB 3 was the greatest platformer of all time with the possible exception of Yoshi's Island. It, and the other big dogs, will arrive when Nintendo feels they need something to keep the download business moving -- it's moving rather well right now, so there's no need -- and also during a time period in which nothing major is coming out for the Wii. Reggie has said that a couple of times. So we will see them, it's just a matter of when.

That said, on the first count, I hope that's not true: Our European brethren never received Chrono Trigger and it would be simply horrible not to make it available to them at some point. On the second, I'm impatient too but I get what they're doing. I'm expecting at least one major titles to hit fairly soon though, likely in the next two months. 

[Of course the Chrono Trigger issue would be much easier to fix if Square-Enix didn't hate Europeans so much. They have been begged and pleaded with for a decade to put it on a handheld and have consistently ignored it all. Whether it comes out on the GBA or DS, it could be run by either and would be region-free and thus available to everyone around the world.]

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 11:32:29 am »
Heh. My main problem with this is my Wii isn't Internet-enabled...  :-\

Anyway, I was talking about non-Virtual Console games, ie, games we haven't all played before. There actually hasn't been a single decent Wii-exclusive title so far that I'm aware of.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 03:49:37 pm »
I get the feeling I'm going to be spending alot in the VC mostly getting games I never owned. The only thing I wish is they make some of the multiplayer games from years gone by online. Does anyone know where a list of upcoming VC games is posted I'd like to see whats coming up.

In the Nintendo Australia email i get they sent out the december releases for the VC anyone know whats planned for the next month or so?

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 08:51:54 pm »
Heh. My main problem with this is my Wii isn't Internet-enabled...  :-\

Anyway, I was talking about non-Virtual Console games, ie, games we haven't all played before. There actually hasn't been a single decent Wii-exclusive title so far that I'm aware of.

Huh? Elebits is hella fun in multiplayer, and Rayman and DBZ may as well be exclusive given the difference in quality from the Wii versions to the PS2 ones. Madden is another such case, though that one's more debatable. Seriously, I think it's hard to chastize it for not having any fun exclusive games when almost none of the launch titles were exclusive for the system (save Nintendo's). The point is, does it make games that are more fun to play on the system rather than its counterparts? And I think it definitely illustrated that.