Author Topic: Cortex Command  (Read 4774 times)

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
Cortex Command
« on: December 27, 2006, 01:31:39 pm »
To make gifs(from Datarealms):

_________________________________________________________________________________

How to make GIFs

Now first thing we do is to start Cortex Command. (Remove all TestDump pictures if you got some!)

Now place actors and rockets where you want them and when you think its a good time to record, just press Print Screen. (Hold it down for several seconds/minutes to get a nice movie)

When your finished with this close CC then start Game Maker.
Right click on sprites and then click on Add Sprite, a window pops up now click on edit sprite and now another window pops up, you should see a green picture, delete this.
Now click on the folder with a + sign next to it, now goto your main CC folder and select all your TestDumps, and click open. (This may take several minutes)

When youhttp://datarealms.com/forum/index.php are finished, click on transform then Resize Canvas
and make the picture smaller so that all you can see is what you need to see! Now when your finished with this, save it as a GIF file.

Now close Game Maker and open Gif Animator load the gif you just made, now click on animation then Loop then Loop Forever save it.

And there you have it!

http://www.gamemaker.nl/
http://www.jhepple.com/gif_animator.htm
____________________________________________________________________-

The game:

http://www.datarealms.com/

The forums:

http://datarealms.com/forum/index.php

Its hard to explain what this game is, just download it for yourself.

Here are some screenshots:

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 06:14:13 pm by aname »

Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
Re: Cortex Commmand (WARNING: VIOLENT)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 06:58:34 pm »
Looks like a hardcore Worms to me.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 07:17:26 pm »
Looks like a hardcore Worms to me.

Believe me, it may have hints of worms(ZING), but it plays completely different.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 08:17:32 pm »
I played it an enjoyed it :P.  So how do I get the cool Mario mod.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline OrdoSanguis

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Ahoy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 08:26:39 pm »
The game would be fun, if I could figure out how to play it. How do I buy stuff?

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 08:33:32 pm »
for first player, press Y+U, and for second, press 4+5.

The mario actors can be found on the forums.

Offline OrdoSanguis

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Ahoy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 08:36:56 pm »
I knew that, but I tried it and it just put me in control of the rocket. Let me try again.
Ahhhh, you have to do it simultaneously. Thanks.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 08:05:58 am »
Is there any way to do it where you use the mouse to aim instead of buttons? It's pretty annoying the way it is now. Especially since they said "OMG USE THE WIRED XBOX CONTROLLER" and I did and I can't even use the little joystick things to aim.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 09:04:55 am »
I think the xbox controller thing is a copout as well. They could at least give us the ability to set our own keyboard controls, I dont like their's.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 09:23:41 am »
I agree with Krakow and 762 the controls are pretty damn annoying for us without a 360 controller. Also how come the computer can control several characters at once but you can't?

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 09:33:15 am »
A multiplayer game of one army vs another, might end up looking like a battlefield of idle clones, that moves one unit at a time. That could almost work, but due to how strong the weapons are.... no. Several people working for one army at a time could be good though.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 09:35:58 am »
Uroboros, that would be insanely cool if the weapons were less powerful, the controls were better, and it had a really good battle map. If you had 100 people on each side, then playing war over the internet with this game would be awesome. Too bad it won't happen for at least a few years.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 09:56:34 am »
The controls arent helped by the sluggish movement of the units and their inability to negotiate rough terrain properly. Which is especially annoying as you have to wreck up terrain to get cash.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 10:32:15 am »
Remember people, this is a beta build. the controls will be changable in the next version, and they are coming out with a map editor. its faults will be fixed in later versions. Single player is a survival death match, so all the computers NPCs are programmed to run straight to the brain.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 02:12:47 pm »
There should be a grace period of about a minute so I can set up defences with my units and crash ships to block the entrances. :P
-Richard Feynman

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 03:52:59 pm »
Yeah the base is a bitch to defend. I have tried several different tactics to defend all openings but the bots get killed to fast and you can't reinforce the brain before it is to late.

Though as it is a beta we can forgive some of these things. Though some of them seem rather obvious to not have been corrected during development.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 04:19:41 pm »
Oh, trust me. they were making things far easier. originally, to get gold you had to mine it, summon a rocket, throw the gold inside, and launch the rocket into orbit. :P

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 04:25:52 pm »
Dear god....

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Cortex Command
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 09:50:00 am »
http://www.datarealms.com/

Cortex command is a game being made by an independent developer called data realms. You can actually purchase the game now for only 18$ since its in early development. There is still much to be added but its an absolute blast to play as is.

Any the game is in an old school 2D style, The premise is you play a brain that can take remote control of other body's. You can build bunkers mine for gold for more cash to buy more weapons and body's and battle.

The game physics based. Physics affect everything and many times i ordered a shipment body's to be transported by a rocket only for the rocket to crash in to them. Like wise i have blown off engines of drop ships to drop them on enemy's below.

The game has a demo version, It lets you play the tutorial and some missions for 6 minutes per session.

Another large feature is much like mount and blade, TONS of mods exist and are available right on cortex commands forums.

I highly recommend you guys check this out, I should mention the download is not even 100MBs and mods are even smaller so no long download times.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
Re: Cortex Command
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 09:53:11 am »
It's okay to resurrect threads from 2006 if you have something meaningful to add.

But yeah, CC is loads of fun. Especially if you get some of the crazier mods.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Cortex Command
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 09:55:02 am »
I typed in Cortex command in the search bar and found nothing, Even now it only brings up my thread.

Sorry, If the mods want them merged its okay with me.