Author Topic: Stephen King+Marvel=  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
Stephen King+Marvel=
« on: December 22, 2006, 02:14:08 am »
The Dark Tower

http://www.marvel.com/darktower

*nerdgasm*
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:16:38 am by Mr. Wizard »

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: Stephen King+Marvel=
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 05:48:44 am »
Oh cool, I love The Dark Tower series, I might have to get this.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 04:52:59 pm »
I got the first comic book and it's great, follows the story very well!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 06:58:28 am »
Theres also a potential Dark Tower animated series in the works. Get this: By the genius behind Samuri Jack and Clone Wars.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 11:12:25 am »
Okay. I'm going to post here on the 1st issue of the comic. Understand, I'm not trying to be a killjoy; everyone seems to be pretty happy about the series in this thread, but I wanted to at least mention this:

I've never read the books. Not one. But Marvel has said time and time again that people unfamiliar with the stories would still be able to enjoy the comic. So I decided to read the 1st issue before checking out any of the books from the library or buying them or whatever I end up doing to get my hands on the things. [I still want to do this.]

First of all, Peter David does a great scripting job. It's a very serious tone that he's pitching and he's doing it well. And Jae Lee: Dear lord, I love him now. Used to have love-hate feelings for the guy but this stuff is spectacularly well-drawn. Coloring by Isanove is awesome too. Just a high quality production across the board.

Second: I read the issue and afterwards was surprised to find my reaction to it was 'meh.' I sat there and could admire how everyone did their job on the book, how they'd put so much effort and quality into it, but it didn't make me like it so much as feel numb to the whole thing.

I'm not trying to put anyone off reading it; after all, it only takes several minutes to get through. But, for me, I think a familiarity would help this book considerably. I feel Marvel overexaggerated its crossover appeal to people not already part of the Gunslinger's fanbase. I'll likely read the whole mini anyway, simply because it's only seven issues, but this first issue didn't impact me the way the writing and art should have.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 05:11:56 am »
Had I not read the books, I would not have read the comic. For me, seeing Roland in visual form is pretty cool.