1 (4%)
Naukal wildlife
10 (40%)
More action pictures!
7 (28%)
Other
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Naukal - Now Part Of The NNTA  (Read 20395 times)

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Naukal - Now Part Of The NNTA
« on: December 18, 2006, 06:54:33 pm »
In the same system as the Nyctos and the Tempori

More pictures here http://spore-planet.rpgs.sytes.net/Gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5271

Aquatic sapient creatures from ocean world Naujek. the Naukal are currently in their tribal stage a little above Stone Age man in tecnology. They haven't progressed much further because they have yet to discover fire.
Anatomy Overview:While not truly amphibious, they can breath air through a set of small air sacks that function both as lungs and buoyancy devices. When on land they are able to pull themselves along their thick-scaled bellies with their arms and webbed hands, leaving their strong, dolphin-like tail dragging along. Most of their senses are dulled on land; they are very near-sighted, their sensory head-tentacles are rendered numb, as like our taste buds, they only function when wet, and their hearing becomes all but non-existant. While their sense of touch is not completely deadened, they are unable to sense vibrations in the air. Their major natural defense is a large, venom tipped spine on their back-fin. This venom will not cause death or pain, but will cause 8 hours of paralasis and sensory deprivation followed by another 4 hours of muscle spasms as the nerves slowly come back on line.
Behavior and Hunting:They are usually nocturnal, waiting untill sundown to begin hunting the deep sea creatures that migrate up from the depths to feed on the abundant plankton of the surface zone. They have three methods of hunting: Use their head-lanterns to attract small shell-swimmers, use shark-dolphin skin nets to catch schools of Tatoo-squid and Snappers, or actively chace down larger shell-swimmers and shallow-water shark-dolphins using their red eyelights which are invisible to the deep-dwelling swimmers. Their powerful, clamp-like jaws will then crush and tear anything unfortunate enough to be caught inside, flesh, bone, shell or otherwise. However, despite being fierce predators, they are unbelievably curious, mischievious, and hyperactive when not hunting. In fact the first recording of a Naukal voice by science probes was "Aaaa! Hed yij jlayek! Alk rny!" translating to "Ooooh! It's so shiny! Must touch!" :D
Language:Like our own language, Naukal speak, or Yixnikanaukal  (litterally translating to "the speak of water beings") consists of sounds produced by vibrating a fluid with vocal chords, with the exception of "M", which is said by snorting out the gill openings and only used in reference to oneself. Naukal language consists of simmilar sounds to ours, except those which require lips to pronounce (B, F, M[see above], O, P, Q, V, and W). Most words are made up of single-syllable word parts. For example, Yixnikanaukal can be broken down as follows: Yix- (specific modifier) -nik- (core word for talk or speech) -ka- (possesive modifier [extra "k" deleted]) -Nau- (water, one of their three elements) -kal (suffix denoting sapient creature)
Numbers:Naukal matematics use a base three system, after their belief in the three elements: Air, represented by zero, is the absence of the other two elements. Earth, represented by one, is viewed as a single surface that only allows for movement on that surface, hence being of one elevation. Water, represented by two, is seen as a media that is moved through and not on, being of multiple elevations. Relativly complex operations such as division, multiplication, exponents, roots, inequalities, and even solving for variables comes as easilly to them as our base-10 math comes to us. They count not only on their fingers, but also on other body parts: 5 right fingers, 4 right gill slits, right eyelight, lantern, 6 dorsal spines, left eyelight, 4 left gill slits, 5 left fingers, coming to a total of 27 or 3 cubed. They haven't discovered fractions, decimals, or negative numbers yet, though.

Up next: Naukal skeleton, tools, and scociety. Feel free to ask questions ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 05:38:35 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
Re: Naukal - My New Spore Creature
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 07:05:16 pm »
They haven't discovered fractions, decimals, or negative numbers yet, though.

what a bunch of dumb*sses.  :P

i like 'em!  ;D
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 07:16:16 pm »
They haven't discovered fractions, decimals, or negative numbers yet, though.

what a bunch of dumb*sses.  :P

i like 'em!  ;D

lol...nice species...kinda sucks that the universe Is so ancient now and they're only In the tribal age :D oh well, nice critter...OH BLOB NO...NO...NOOOOOO *gets eaten by one of those massive hypothetical Invisible rods dubbed critters*

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 07:22:12 pm »
nice creature.
(wow, base 3 numbering system! So their number for 81 is like 10,000! I hope they don't have to count very high  ;))

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 07:31:31 pm »
Lol, they just never realy have any use for them, though. Fractions and decimals are used for describing values between whole numbers or simply parts less than a whole number. the only time they deal with those is when they don't finish their dinner :D. Negatives, on the other hand, are completely alien. You cant go -5 miles or eat -10 fish or have -3 members in your tribe or make -7 spears in -2 days. They know subtraction, but anything less than zero seems like an absurd concept to them. How can you have less than nothing? ???

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post

yeah... but I couldn't figure out how to give them advanced tech without them discovering fire. They have the necissary brain power and social skils, they just don't have anything to work with except animal prodicts, stone, and wood. Maybe this is why water civilizations might be cut out.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post

Not very high. They have shark-dolphin skin paper to scratch marks in to help them out, though.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 08:07:44 pm »
They could use volcanic vents for heat and smelting things together and...getting killed by lava/magma or heat or getting turned to stone when the lava solidifies...hmmm :-\...I'd sure hate to be aquatic :D

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 08:24:29 pm »
They could use volcanic vents for heat and smelting things together and...getting killed by lava/magma or heat or getting turned to stone when the lava solidifies...hmmm :-\...I'd sure hate to be aquatic :D
Besides the fact that they can't dive that deep. Note how they wait for their prey to come to them, instead of going down to get 'em. Fortunately they're partially amphibious.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 08:27:07 pm »
...well you get the occasional volcanic vent close to the surface...hmmm oh well.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 09:40:29 pm »

Naukal tribal tattooes, as shown on a typical Naukal female.

These patterns are unique to every tribe. There are nine tribes, from top to bottom starting in the left collumn: Warm seas, Cold seas, Coral reef, Arctic, Southern, Swamp, River, Beach, and Island. Their actuall names in Naukal speak are Degkacldnau, Degkanldnau, Degkazala, Degkadak, Degkalak, Degkanause, Degkacaknau, Degkaxaase, and Degkaseklu, respectively, with Degka- meaning "tribe of-"
Young Naukal recieve these tattooes apon returning from their first venture on land at about 6 yul or Years of age. Which brings us to Naukal time...

Dul=day=sunset to sunset
Tul=tide=new moon to new moon=27 days
Sul=season=3 tides
Yul=year=one revolution around the sun=3 seasons
Trul=triad=3 years
Lul=lifetime=27 years=adverage Naukal lifespan
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 09:48:17 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 09:46:16 pm »
cool Idea...although wouldn't they wash off In the water?

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 10:24:52 pm »
cool Idea...although wouldn't they wash off In the water?
No, the skin is permanently dyed that color by the ink because they actually inject it into the thin membrane between the support rays. The membrane is used as a tertiary oxygen gathering system (with gills being primary and the air sacks being secondary) and is filled with blood vessles to absorb oxygen directly from the enviroment, like frogs. The blueish color of the membrane comes from the copper-based blood that flows within. While less efficient than iron-based blood, Naujek's high oxygen levels compensate for this. And, yes, there is such a thing as copper based blood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemocyanin

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 11:38:34 pm »

New picture I just finished, a Naukal Stargazer. Also shows the bioluminecence more vividly.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 11:42:58 pm »
woah sclool!

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 02:26:25 am »
Cool species! you have realy thougth them out through! Nice pics too

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 10:05:19 am »
Nice Creature! I like the dreadlock tentacles.  If they ever get past the tribal stage, I think they might be allies with my Gockets.
Probably not a Goat, either.