Author Topic: Procedural Sounds?  (Read 11388 times)

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Procedural Sounds?
« on: June 22, 2005, 04:18:02 pm »
I was wondering, are the sounds going to be procedurally generated too?

All of the creatures are unique so it would only be appropriate for them to sound unique. I'm not just talking about the screaches either, I also mean the radio chatter you hear.

Another thing that would be good would be if the music was procedural too, but I've never seen something like that before.

Offline Flayum

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Indoles Est Meus Mucro
    • View Profile
Re: Procedural Sounds?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 04:59:36 pm »
That would be fantastic! Could this even extend to a language- a modfied verbal tones, like something from The Sims? I don't know how they could program that in time for the release, it sound complex- maybe an expansion ( :P )?
Indoles Est Meus Mucro

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 05:31:30 pm »
Is it even possible to have procedurally generated sounds?

Offline Sparr

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 06:09:11 pm »
That 'radio chatter' is a common sound effect. The part about Will saying it was an 'alien language' was just mumbo jumbo.

I doubt they'll have procedural sounds. They'll just have a list of voices for you animal that you can use, I bet.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 06:32:45 pm »

yes, it's possible to have ANYTHING procedural, it's just a matter of programming it.

For example, there are basic text-to-speech synthesisers that have the computer read a string of text and have the speaker reproduce the sounds according to rules in the computer. Different voices can be created by modifying speed, pitch, accents, noise vs harmony, and so on.

Now, there are simple programs that will create text languages based on a series of rules: no more than two consonants in a row, and every word must contain a vowel. And it will create a bunch of words that look authentic but don't mean anything.

So, mix those two, throwin some randomness to the procedure, and you have a realistic-sounding alien speaker.

Remove the vowels and put in more k,c,x, and t sounds and you have an insect-like speech.

Lower the pitch, extend the length that vowels are pronounced and have them echo, and you have a guttural type of lion or bear sounding language.

Speed up the talking, reverse the speech by flipping the rules on how letters are pronounced and you get what sounds like a Chipmunks record being played backwards...

The possibilities are endless, and it's just a matter of incorporating technology that's already been out there for a while.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 07:30:35 pm »

Definitely.  In my attempts at coding it, I've mixed slightly modified sine waves, or modified and mixed together some pre-recorded samples, or a combination.  I had a rough time getting it to sound decent, but I bet someone who knew what they were doing wouldn't have as much trouble.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 10:58:31 pm »
what they can do is have large 'bank' of real animal sounds, and you get to mix and match them and then they become unique.

That's how they made the dinosaur sounds for the jurassic park movies, they took a lions roar and mixed it with a hawk screech or something like that. So if you took an actual sound of a chipmunk and mixed it with the sound a moose makes, you would have an original sound. So they just need a mixing/editing program put in, I don't think it would be that difficult.

I REALLY HOPE they put something like that in. It's not going to be cool if all the creatures sound similar.
I imagine they'll have like 5 different lizard sounds, 5 different mammal sounds, 5 different bird sounds, and 5 different 'fish' sounds (which maybe just be the other sounds with an 'underwater' gurgle effect.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 09:33:15 am »
There is procedural music, where the computer looks at a tree and changes the rotation, length, width, position and color of each limb into the pitch, tone, duration, volume, timing and instrument of a musical note - creating a procedural song.

THEN.... take those text-to-speech bits. Save each word or group of words as an individual sample. Using the powers of the Demo's friend, a MOD tracker, take the melody from the procedural song. Apply those recorded alien words/phrases to the notes to play at different pitches and speeds, and you now have...

Procedural singing... A choir of your critters rallying their troops into battle with song or mourning the death of their leader in a vocal dirge.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 12:21:44 pm »
I can't think of any way they could do the sounds well, unless they do it procedurally. It seems to me that procedural sounds are a must. My guess is that the music (do they need music?) will be done that way too.

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 01:47:55 pm »
Yeah the music could really give a sense of relaxation. I love the music in the gdc demo.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 05:00:23 pm »
I hope you will be able to change them though. Nothing worse than
"Hey I just made this REALLY cool creature."
"Kawaaweraakkhhhpppb"
"....that has an annoying call...and it won't shutup... great back to the drawing board"
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 11:28:51 pm »
I would assume that this would have to be looked at eventually... I mean sure you can look at stock sounds... but that would just bring the overall value of the game down and from everything I've read and heard, it seems that that's the last thing they'd want to be doing. I am assuming they are planning or working in languages of sorts. If you look at the language humans speak, they are all almost interconnected except for four or five. This is because no matter how complex you get... you never really lose the basics and alot of the basics, atleast in speech, are transcultural. English is based off of primarily Latin, Greek, Roman, German, and Anglo-Saxon with words taken from French, Spanish, and ect. You look at say... British English and Chinese... at first they seem to have no similarities at all... but if you take the time to look you can notice that certain patterns get repeated even if the grammar and words are completely different. Language (atleast on earth) follows a particular pattern, save for a few exceptions.

So if you take into account you can have your own procedural sounds and voices then each world could either follow a completely different or a somewhat similar type of sound even the words are completely jumbled and switched. I mean how many languages does the Earth have? It has probably 3 times as many as it currently has countries if not more... if you factor in dialects and the merger of cultures... you have a near infinite amount of possiblities on our planet. So even if you scale it down to it's simplest form for the game, you should atleast have anywhere from ten to fifteen thousand different procedural vocabularies in the galaxy (if you galaxy has that many intelligent species, chances are it'll only have say a thousand or so, so the mix can vary greatly). If you think about the power of the procedural system and the power of modern computers.. it is possible (if we can ever determine the exact or near-exact perimeters) to simulate life and the evolution of life on this planet. All the way from Homo erectus to Homo neandertal (our distant cousin who dropped off the evolutionary chart) and Homo cro-magnon (early human ancestors) to Homo sapien-sapiens (our current species name) and past that.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 06:14:39 am »
I mean how many languages does the Earth have?

The number is well ocer a thousand. Papau New Guinea alone has over 750 seperate languages.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 08:03:31 am »
Quite... I believe the count was at about 1800 or so.. about 2 to 3 thousand if you include dead/dying languages and localized (ie Jungle Tribes) languages.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2005, 09:28:02 am »
Procedural sound would be horrible.  Like Steve said (I think he said this) people will be complaining that their creatures don't wask the way their supposed to; so what's stopping them from hating Spore because their monster doesn't sound like it's supposed too?  Imagine you create a deadly ninja dragon and it meows like a cat.  It would upset people.  It would be better to have a 2 sets of sounds...For allies and for enemies.  This could also help distinguish between allies.  For example, once you break the language barrier, you will begin to "understand" your allies.