Author Topic: Rainbow Mars  (Read 2103 times)

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
Rainbow Mars
« on: December 16, 2006, 10:15:17 pm »
Finished reading this book a week or 2 ago...took me about 4 nights only cos I read a little bit a night...oh actually make that 2 weeks cos I read It one night then put It down and didn't read It again for a week or so.

It was ok but It was kinda annoying cos every swear word that exists has basically been replaced by 'Futz' and that pis...I mean Futz's me off :D

Anyway has anyone else read It?

oh and PS It's by Larry Niven

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Rainbow Mars
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 12:48:12 am »
Yes I have, and I enjoyed it. Not his best set of stories ever, but they are an entertaining read. I think it was Larry Niven experimenting with comedy in his Sci-Fi.

IIRC, the major story, involving Mars, had homages to all the famous Martians in Sci-Fi, Like H.G. Wells' and Robert Heinlein's. It was entertaining to read Niven's spin on all of them.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 12:53:14 am »
yeah I realized that...also whenever they went back In time they went Into alternate reality's and ended up with things like moby dick Instead of a proper whale :D It was good but not the best.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 02:14:23 am »
That was the whole idea. Their time machine went back into time, but they ended up in other stories and not Earths history. Although there are a one or two of his short stories that break this rule, but most of the ones that lead up to Rainbow Mars did this. And only Larry Niven could have paid homage to so many authors with his stories. He was kinda famous for involving other authors in his stories. For example, in his book A Gift from Earth,the two spacecraft that lead the first offworld colonization were the Robert Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke.

Offline TheMagicHobo

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Schrodinger's Cat is out for Revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 07:43:00 am »
Wait, is this supposed to be a parody of the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson or something? I came here thinking you'd be talking about the series, to wish good luck to whomever was trying to read all three books, as the name of the books are Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars, so yeah...
Schrodinger will kill you like a cat in a box. Maybe.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection.

Televison - A medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well-done.

Keep an open mind. Just make sure it's not so open your brain falls out.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 03:46:00 pm »
No, it's not.

FYI, the Mars Trilogy thread is here:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2428.0