Poll

How long did it take you to notice that the poll changed? (11-26-2012)

I noticed fairly quickly.
It took me a while...
There's a poll in this topic? Since when!?

Author Topic: The off topic... topic  (Read 2192339 times)

Offline Spooky Tesla

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • Big style.
    • View Profile
Re: The off topic... topic
« Reply #33330 on: March 14, 2010, 06:30:58 pm »
I think maybe one of the firefighters coulda gone in, woulda been a nice compromise.
I'll kiss anything that moves.

Offline Pixxel

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • Pop Tart Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33331 on: March 14, 2010, 06:46:43 pm »
5 word reviews of 100+ games xD
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/games-summed-up-in-5-words/a-20100311112531629010

I like the ones about FFX and Pac-man
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #33332 on: March 14, 2010, 06:51:01 pm »
Bahahahaha! That's awesome, Pixxel! :D

Offline Ultramarine

• Super Mario Bro.
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33333 on: March 14, 2010, 09:17:32 pm »
Quote from:  article
Final Fantasy VII: Sephiroth kills Aerith; everybody cry.

This made me giggle quite a bit since I actually know people who wept like babies at that scene  :D
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Gorman Conall

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #33334 on: March 14, 2010, 09:18:15 pm »
I disagree with you, you're right. The firefighters didn't want to get sued if the man got hurt or died. Their responsibility is to protect human life first and foremost. However wrong it may sound, the human is worth more than the cat.

That's not the question, human life is more important then a cats no doubt but its not up to government services to tell a person when and where they can risk their own life. It was not  firefighters house, the fire fighters cats, or the fire fighters life and they had no business stopping a man from risking his OWN life to enter his OWN house and rescue his OWN cats. Their responsibility is to save human life, but not  if that life doesn't want to be saved, in the same way a doctor can't save a patient with certain produces if the patient says no.

Whether its a smart move or not is irrelevant, the question is did the fire fighter have a right to stop him. And I don't believe he did. Would the firefighter still be right had it been a child or wife instead of a cat?

Offline Ultramarine

• Super Mario Bro.
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33335 on: March 14, 2010, 09:25:49 pm »

That's not the question, human life is more important then a cats no doubt but its not up to government services to tell a person when and where they can risk their own life. It was not  firefighters house, the fire fighters cats, or the fire fighters life and they had no business stopping a man from risking his OWN life to enter his OWN house and rescue his OWN cats. Their responsibility is to save human life, but not  if that life doesn't want to be saved, in the same way a doctor can't save a patient with certain produces if the patient says no.

Whether its a smart move or not is irrelevant, the question is did the fire fighter have a right to stop him. And I don't believe he did. Would the firefighter still be right had it been a child or wife instead of a cat?

If I may interject.

While the fire fighters didn't have much say in the matter, they did what seemed to be right at the time. Surely you don't want to cause more casualties by letting the man go in alone into a burning building? (whether it be an animals life or a persons) I can see where you're coming from but it is a part of their job to rescue people, animals, put out fires etc. If you're not trained for said job then you shouldn't go gung ho and attempt to save lives or possessions from your home. Let the pros do what they have to do.

But hey it's my opinion on the matter.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Gorman Conall

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #33336 on: March 14, 2010, 09:32:09 pm »
Like I said it may not have been wise to go in a burning house after animals when you are an untrained civilian. Perhaps If It was me or you with something dear to us inside we may see it differently, but he still had the right to do it. Whether or not its a smart move is irrelevant.

I guess I am just not a fan of being told what I can and can't do in a situation that only involves me. If you know me you'll know I have a big problem with society in America on many fronts, and its nothing to do with the current administration. Just felt like speaking my mind on something that frustrated me.

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33337 on: March 14, 2010, 09:44:43 pm »
The fact that suicide is illegal says a lot.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #33338 on: March 14, 2010, 09:49:32 pm »
The fact that suicide is illegal says a lot.

Suicide is understandable because many people that would kill or purposely injury themselves have some sort of psychological or mental problems. People that get arrested for suicide don't go to jail, they get taken to a mental hospital. You aren't allowed to drink and drive or do drugs because you could harm others while under the influence. You can sit in your own home and drink yourself to oblivion however.

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33339 on: March 14, 2010, 09:55:48 pm »
Its not up to that guy to understand the risks of fire. The firemen acted in good conscience to stop him endangering himself. That's why we employ firefighters instead of dealing with our own fires when they happen.
People act irrationally in a crisis unless they have training to fall back on.

Also, making all your ow decisions regardless of the circumstances and your state of mind is all well and good if you consider everyone as an unconnected individual. But what about this guy's friends and relatives? If the firemen had let him run into the house and he had got injured or killed in a fire, how would they explain it to those people. "Oh gee, maybe we should have held him back but he seemed pretty damn concerned about those cats"

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #33340 on: March 14, 2010, 10:15:35 pm »
Its not up to the firemen to explain the risks of the fire to the man unless asked. Likewise its not up to the guys family ether. He became a full grown decision making adult at age 18. How do they explain to a soldiers family that their beloved son got blown up in Iraq? The soldier made his own decision to join the military, Of course that's okay because then your only going in to danger when the government tells you too . Regardless of whether or not you agree with what your are being told to fight for  ::). But you aren't allowed to risk your life for the things that are important to you.

You tell the family, it was his house, his cats/kid/wife and his decision. We tried to tell him not to but he went in anyway. But they don't really have any business physically holding him back. At least in my opinion.

Its true we employ firefighters to deal with fires, but we also can buy fire extinguishers to take care of the situation ourselves as we are there at the time, before the firefighters ever arrive.

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33341 on: March 15, 2010, 08:09:23 am »
You're missing the point.

People can make their own decisions when they're in a rational state of mind.
When people sign up for the army they shouldn't be scared, drunk, directly motivated by bereavement, etc.

Would you let a friend go swimming in the ocean (and I don't mean the nice calm, warm kind of ocean) after he'd had five beers, and brush it off as 'its his decision, he can do what he wants'.

Humans end up in situations where the sensible part of the brain which makes properly thought out decisions just gets turned off for whatever reason. Your house burning down in front of you is one of them.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline martyk

• Arrgh, Me Be A Pirate!
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #33342 on: March 15, 2010, 08:23:01 am »
Under normal circumstances I'd certainly say save the pets.  I know in my case if that was my dog in there, I would do whatever I had to to ensure their safety.  However, he has 8 cats.  That's about 7 cats too many and I'm sure he can make do without a few.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Cobra

• Dune II Spice Harvester
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33343 on: March 15, 2010, 08:28:40 am »
A recent Spoony video has enabled me to get the Final Fantasy X 5 word review.

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #33344 on: March 15, 2010, 09:54:38 am »
I want to watch that review but I've gotta play the game first. :(