Author Topic: Dragon Quest IX for the DS!  (Read 15852 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest IX for the DS!
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 11:40:50 pm »
I'm surprised enough that the DS can produce visuals that impressive, but all of this will also fit onto one DS cart! Pretty amazing considering the last installment came on a DVD.

Don't ever doubt the DS. Did you really think the DS had bad graphics. Can't look as impressive as PSP graphics, but DS games are a LOT more fun. PSP has a couple good games. But there are a lot of great DS games.

Hey: I have owned the DS since its launch in November 2004, and I've been a huge supporter of the platform from the get-go. I don't need to be told how amazing the system is. ;)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2006, 07:28:41 am »
I'm surprised enough that the DS can produce visuals that impressive, but all of this will also fit onto one DS cart! Pretty amazing considering the last installment came on a DVD.

Don't ever doubt the DS. Did you really think the DS had bad graphics. Can't look as impressive as PSP graphics, but DS games are a LOT more fun. PSP has a couple good games. But there are a lot of great DS games.

Hey: I have owned the DS since its launch in November 2004, and I've been a huge supporter of the platform from the get-go. I don't need to be told how amazing the system is. ;)

Know what, Pilot: We've been getting along too well lately, so for old times' sake, I'm going to disagree with you here and say that you've never really understood how amazing it is. Not till the DQ IX video at least. Which is gorgeous and definitely puts the final nail in the PSP's coffin. <-- baiting Cool AN

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2006, 09:14:52 am »

Know what, Pilot: We've been getting along too well lately, so for old times' sake, I'm going to disagree with you here and say that you've never really understood how amazing it is. Not till the DQ IX video at least. Which is gorgeous and definitely puts the final nail in the PSP's coffin. <-- baiting Cool AN

PHI: This is a big one, sonny get the net.

While the video is quite nice, it is still nothing compared to most of the things the PSP can do, from a graphical standpoint.

And like I said before I can't see this making that big of an impact on the DS's sales. In my mind, most people in Japan who are gamers probably already own a DS or are gonna buy one in the very near future. All the same, the DQ series has never really that big of an impact in the west. I can't remember if it was Steve who said it, but Dragon Quest didn't sell that well in the US, and I can't imagine it doing much better in Europe.

Of course this is just me talking. I could and probably am wrong, but that is some thing time will show.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2006, 11:29:44 am »
While the video is quite nice, it is still nothing compared to most of the things the PSP can do, from a graphical standpoint.

You're right.

And like I said before I can't see this making that big of an impact on the DS's sales. In my mind, most people in Japan who are gamers probably already own a DS or are gonna buy one in the very near future. All the same, the DQ series has never really that big of an impact in the west. I can't remember if it was Steve who said it, but Dragon Quest didn't sell that well in the US, and I can't imagine it doing much better in Europe.

Of course this is just me talking. I could and probably am wrong, but that is some thing time will show.

You are still not seeing why this is important. That's fine. It has little to nothing to do with the game itself; it has to do with the message it sends other Japanese developers. You don't put the biggest game in Japan on a handheld without every single game executive hearing about it and wondering whether it's a clear notice for them to put more of their games on the system too.

I'm still trying to figure out how anything sells 300,000 units in a week in Japan. Jesus, the DS is huge there.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 11:52:58 am by PHI-1618 »

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2006, 12:24:13 pm »
We will have to wait and see.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2006, 06:05:48 pm »

Pssshh...I have always fully understood the DS' capabilities and I have always known all along exactly what the machine is capable of. ;D

Really though; you can't not say 'wow' to an amazing looking game, regardless of the platform.

We will have to wait and see.

Oh quit being such a republican and suck it up!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2006, 08:33:32 pm »
Oh quit being such a republican and suck it up!

So you have a problem with Republicans, do you, you hippy twit?

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2006, 12:29:42 am »
It's republican, not Republican.

Oh and hippies are cool.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2006, 03:07:48 am »
I can't predict the future you know. I only said that, because it is my opinion and I have little to back it up with.

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2007, 11:47:28 pm »
Whoa...very nice!

I know it's kind of late to say this, but didn't someone say that they could start using the GBA slot, too, to be able to add more things to some games? 

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2007, 07:20:46 am »
Whoa...very nice!

I know it's kind of late to say this, but didn't someone say that they could start using the GBA slot, too, to be able to add more things to some games? 

There have been rumors of using something similar to the Memory Pack that was used for the N64, something that would fit into the GBA slot in the DS and enhance its on-board memory. Personally, I doubt we'll see a device like that brought out before this game hits, if there are any plans to bring one out at all. Most indications seem to place DQ IX as having a 1st or 2nd quarter release in Japan.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2010, 09:12:43 am »
Oh how silly and wrong all of you were! Memory packs? What are you doing, Celdur? GBA slot? HAH!

Erm...

GameTrailers Review! Can't wait to get my hands on this game! :D