Author Topic: Deathworld  (Read 4844 times)

Offline spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My website
Deathworld
« on: December 03, 2006, 06:17:01 pm »
Will Spore give a  the opertunity to play on a very difficult panet ( Iceworld, valcano world) with the added evolution points as a reward for the players creature. Will there be worlds where the chances of survival are very low, and alterntly very peaseful with a very high cance of surviuval, i.e. Dasiy world..

Offline Com

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Wandering the wastes with a jackhammer
    • View Profile
Re: Deathworld
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 06:52:18 pm »
Will did say that the world would adjust itself to your style of play and your competence level. How drastic these changes can get remains to be seen, ex: would a local mountain erupt into a volcano (or other natural disasters happen), would deadly predators start to migrate into your little corner of the world or would your main food source emigrate out (carnivore) or die off (herbivore), etc... There is alot of possibilities on what could happen since a planet is rather dynamic.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 08:44:19 pm »
I'm not sure if they changes could really be so drastic, because that could really affect someone's game quite negatively. Imagine, your main food source dies out but you manage to survive one generation more. In the next generation you can't survive and must go back to the last generation, but since all of your food source died out, you can't do anything about it!
EDIT: Neve rmind! I just realised that this would actually be quite cool, because you could back to the editor and simply change your creature's mouth-part for example to enabel it to eat other things, enhancing the sense that you are evolving to fit your environment...

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 02:41:35 am »
I think your getting the point now, How challanging is spore going to be?

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 02:54:06 am »
I think your getting the point now, How challanging is spore going to be?
The first time around? Probably only as challenging as you can handle.

Heres to hoping Spore has something similar to the Sims series "scenario" mode, you know, where they had different neighborhoods/households/families to contend with, with varying objectives. If something like that gets put in, then you may get something like "Deathworld". Its strange really. On one hand it would be nice to decide a number of things before you start out in the cell-phase, so your gaming experience starts out on what you would consider the right foot, but potentially give yourself an odd first run-through of the game, or the game itself could work it out for you and better ensure a good learning curve. Think of Simcity4000, you could terraform the zones of land before you actually started the game, meaning there was no cost, and then start on the zone you created. That was great if you had a specific vision of a city to build, but if you were a beginner (or even an intermediate player), you would often terraform a lot of unforseen inconveniences, such as the land in one place is too steep for water-pipes, or there isnt enough space in a certain area for what you wanted. Spore may turn out similar, with an overzealous player adding too many aggressive carnivores and struggling for ages, until they finally get bored and restart, or someone looking for an easy ride, removing all potential predators, giving themselves an easy ride to the "100% complete" state of the game, then saying "That was boring, too easy".

Hope Maxis gets it right, we're pretty hard to please, arent we? :3

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 03:05:30 am »
I think we've heard from Will that everything can change. The planet, space, anything, can be altered to increase the difficulty. I think a more difficult, turbulent world would be a lot of fun really, while the soft savannah grass is for everyone who needs to take it easy.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 03:52:47 am »
I think your all making good points, there is a book series called 'Deathworld' by Harry Harrison, worth reading some interesting points in it. The point of the book was some human colonists landed on a planet, which was very hostile to humans, it had a high gravity, and deadly plants. The entire colonists (after a couple of generations) become superhuman. Then along comes this character who is normal and lands on the planet and a five year old kid can survive better than he can.

Here is a review of the book check it out:-

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue340/classic.html

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 09:14:30 am »
spore, that sounds like a cool book! ;) interesting... i will look for it, but i doubt i'll ever find it... :-\
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 01:50:56 pm »
Google it!

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 02:23:31 pm »
If I remember rightly there's a similar concept in Warhammer 40,000 called Death Worlds which are incredibly hostile to human life for whatever reason, so very elite regiments of Imperial Guard are trained there. Regardless, I like the concept. Tough life makes tough critters, so what you propose is basically big challenge for bigger rewards - I like that.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 02:42:30 pm »
The Space Wolves do simmilar training before they are given thier power armour. Theyre dropped on a extremely hostile planet (I think it might be Fenris its self) with no supplies and they have to survive in the wilderness.

Offline spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 02:45:56 pm »
Thats what I mean, reward player for starting on more hostile worlds.

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 03:22:24 pm »
I like your thinking. This is one of the right questions to be asked unlike the release date question.
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 04:07:58 pm »
Think of being on a world where your a tiny creature and everything else is huge.

Offline alxian

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 04:33:26 pm »
Think of being on a world where your a tiny creature and everything else is huge.

Huge not being a word to use for any creatures we've seen so far.. given that no food chains or such have been taken seriously. or resources and their collection reduction/refinement and redistribution..