Author Topic: So, I almost died, again (Now with pics)  (Read 9672 times)

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
  • The "I'm Not a ____, but..." King
    • View Profile
So, I almost died, again (Now with pics)
« on: June 20, 2005, 04:51:54 pm »
It is a miracle that I am able to type this message to all of you. Yesterday I was driving my 2005 Scion tC back from San Antonio Texas when a truck in front of me swerved to miss a large dog was was in the road. He kicked the dog back into my car and as I swerved to miss it I ran it over and started fish-tailing out of control across the highway. I exited the road way and ran directly into 3 pine trees head first at 65mph. All I remember is seeing the trees and then kicking my door open so I could get away from the car. While I was in the ambulance the Sheriff came by and was asking where the body was....It is very unsettling to hear someone refer to you as dead. When he walked in and I asked him, " How's it goin' Sheriff?" He turned extremely white and said that he couldn't imagine anyone walking away from that crash. I was fully aware of everything that was going on and was able to answer their questions. I stayed in the hospital for 6 hours until I was released. My right hand was burned in a few small places from the airbag and of course I am stiff and sore, but otherwise I am fine. My car however, is completely totaled. The rear axle snapped like a twig from the front impact. My radiator bent like a U and from the front wheel wells up is ripped off of the car. I only had the car for 5 months. It was a gift to myself for surviving a long deployment to the Middle East. I just hope you all send whatever positive energy that you can in my direction. One of the scariest things about the crash is that the seatbelt snapped but it held long enough for the airbags to keep me safe. If I wasn't wearing my seatbelt I would've been decorating three tall pine trees like some gristly Christmas ornament. Also when I hit the trees, somehow I ended up about 20 feet away from them with my car facing th opposite direction. My battery flew across the highway and landed in the ditch on the opposite side of the road.... Please be safe out there everyone, please.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 09:54:25 am by Madchat18 »

This space for sale.

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: So, I almost died, again
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 05:16:23 pm »
Wowzas man, you either have alot of bad luck for getting in the accident or alot of good luck for surviving it. Good to hear you're ok, just keep safe out there.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 05:33:51 pm »
Well man, I survived a four-wheeler accident seven years ago. Ran into a barbed-wire fence while sitting on the very front of the ATV doing about 60mph. I lived, but my arteries came within a hair's breadth of being sliced in half, while I shattered the bone in my right leg. I lost my left foot, and now have a Below-the-Knee prosthetic leg. I spent three months in the hospital (My entire third grade summer vacation) to relearn how to walk and recover from my injuries. People survive tough stuff all the time, so just realize that you really are very lucky to be writing to us now. From one survivor to another, good to have you back.
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 05:58:06 pm »
OMG... :o I'm so glad your ok... that's sounds like quite a crash. Big points for the Scion for keeping you safe. The car can be replaced but there's only one you. Always remember too.. as much as we hate to do it, hold the steering wheel and hit the dog. Too many accidents caused by trying to miss animals. Your a suvivor man and you got all my well wishes coming your way. ;)

Tal - my heart goes out to you too.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 06:31:54 pm »
I'm glad to hear (or read) your okay. Vehicle accidents are probably on of the scariest thing  to experiance. Although I've never been in one, I know how frightening they can be.

(The closest I've ever come is when I was riding my bike really fast and I ran into my sister, who stopped suddenly. I flew over the handle bars and rolled for about 20 ft on our dirt driveway. Good thing I always where a helmet. There was a big hole on my shirt's shoulder where it scraped against the ground. I also had various scrapes on places where my skin was expossed. I limped back up the driveway with my bike, witch now had a bent wheel. Luckily I had no broken bones. Never have.)

Again, glad your okay, thank goodness you wore your seatbelt.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 07:17:26 pm »
Holy crap... you are either really unlucky for nearly twice, or really lucky for living twice...

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 11:49:59 pm »
Do you know what this means?  You're invincible!

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 12:04:37 am »
HAHAHA. I don't know if it's the 3:00am in my head or the fact that I'm sort of thirsty but that was golden, s0lidmetal.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 03:28:38 am »
Again? What higher power did you piss of?

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 04:51:12 am »
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really not sure what higher power I pissed off or which one I pleased. I'm having thoughts that hopefully I can share with everyone here without being made fun of...

When I crashed I didn't feel anything at all. I just saw the trees and then opened my eyes and got out of the car. Ever since the accident I feel as if I am detached from reality. Things that should matter to me don't affect me at all. I'm not too sure that I am still alive. What if everything I am experiancing now is just in my mind or maybe the wreck caused some type of other dimension where I am alive in this one with very minor injuries but I am dead in the first one? I remember my head hurting and feeling blood running down my neck from when my head hit the steering wheel/airbag but I have no bruising or cuts at all on my head. It is really depressing me that I am having these feelings and I can't sleep at all. Has anyone else experianced anything like this?
This space for sale.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 05:15:23 am »
No I haven't, but I'm pretty sure that it will go away in time. The feeling could be when the airbag wrapped arond your head and neck. And if you are still writing you must still be in the same life, because I know I haven't changed.

Hope you feel better soon.

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 05:27:49 am »
Yah, those airbags are a bitch arn't they.  I got in an accident a year ago and the airbag did more damage than the actual collision.  Good to here the Ct kept you safe at 65mph, my co worker just got one.  Toyotas a good car company, the best in my book.  The fact that you escaped with so little damage is the really amazing part.  Hey, the insurance should pay for a new Ct (worked out for me, with the amount I got from totaling the car, $3000, I was able to put a down payment on a Sienna).

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 06:09:25 am »
If your seatbelt snapped in a collision on a five month old car, you might want to bring that to the attention of your insurance company. They don't really care too much about the cost of the they are more concerned about the costs of health care for accidents. If the belt broke in a straight on collision then they should be looked in to, especially in something and light as a Scion. While it won't help you this time, it might help someone else down the road if they find something wrong.

Glad to hear you're OK.

-Lego

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 08:43:44 am »
The seatbelt snapped because they are made to release after the airbags deploy so I wasn't trapped in the car. my insurace agent just e-mailed me pics of the damage and said it was definatly a total loss.
This space for sale.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 09:34:53 am »
Instead of bad luck - i'd say it's good luck that he survived.  Sounds like a pretty nasty crash.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 09:44:37 am »
Can you show the pics to us?

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 09:48:50 am »
Here are some of the pics... :'(

This space for sale.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 09:55:14 am »
Holy monkeys!  :( There's barely any of the front end left! I'm surprised at how little the outside of the rest of the car was affected. If you cropped the 4th picture (to exclude the front and the rear axle) it would look almost undamaged. Man, that front end took a lot of damage. Glad your OK.

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Re: So, I almost died, again (Now with pics)
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 10:00:56 am »
Yeah, I hit the trees dead center so the front just absorbed all of the impact. I am really lucky.
This space for sale.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2005, 12:31:32 pm »
Wow! The front is really trashed. I think those motors are suppose to fall on impact so it doesn't get pushed into the interior which might be what happened. The interior except for the airbags didn't look too bad.. no steering wheel in your gut. It looks like it worked like it was suppose to. I think what your feeling might be some shock at what happened. Almost a detachment from yourself. You'll probably feel more normal as time goes on. If not, talk to a doctor about it.  Again, so glad your ok and I would consider it lucky angels with you. Wasn't your time.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2005, 12:50:48 pm »
You know Madchat, those feelings of detachment are probably common for people who have suffered a near-death experience like you did, especially if you suffered two. I'm not saying you're crazy, but I would reccomend seeing a psychologist once or twice to help sort things out in your head. I did once and it was very helpful in all aspects of my life. In fact, I think everybody should go see a psychologist at least once in their lives. It's really a good experience.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2005, 12:54:57 pm »
I did once and it was very helpful in all aspects of my life. In fact, I think everybody should go see a psychologist at least once in their lives. It's really a good experience.

It's also a really expensive experience.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2005, 01:00:42 pm »
Well... yeah... unless you can get insurance to pay for it somehow.

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2005, 01:38:17 pm »
I am in the military so I could probably get help for free... I've had so many people in my Squadron call me and ask about my mental and emotional state moreso than my physical well-being. I am going to talk to a Chaplain about what happened and hopefully everything will work out. I just feel so strange, kinda like I don't deserve to be alive... I feel bad that people have been hurt or even killed in less serious accidents, I mean, I'm nothing great. Why did I get to stay around when so many others have passed on? Ahh damn, I'm getting all emotional now... It's crazy when a forum can make you tear up huh?
This space for sale.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 01:45:50 pm »
That's pretty amazing.  It's good to see you made it out ok.  Thank god for crumple zones, airbags and seatbelts.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 01:53:58 pm »
I'm sure there was a good reason you lived, Madcat. You can't really tell what's going on until far down the road, after all. Who knows, maybe if you hadn't had the accident and continued as usual something even worse would have happened that day.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 02:12:27 pm »
wow. amazing... i'm happy you're alive, let alone almost physically uninjured. when was the first time you were almost killed? during your deployment?
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2005, 02:14:34 pm »
Actually it was earlier this month:

http://gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=665.0

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2005, 02:47:43 pm »
Play the lottery!

Indum

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2005, 03:07:02 pm »
Wow, you're lucky you lived. All comes down to chance, really.
I've had a similar lucky break-when I was a baby, my parents car was hit in the side. Though neither was hurt, luckily I was at home with my aunt. If they had taken me, they would have put me in my seat which was on the side that got hit by the other car.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2005, 03:26:23 pm »
I am in the military so I could probably get help for free... I've had so many people in my Squadron call me and ask about my mental and emotional state moreso than my physical well-being. I am going to talk to a Chaplain about what happened and hopefully everything will work out. I just feel so strange, kinda like I don't deserve to be alive... I feel bad that people have been hurt or even killed in less serious accidents, I mean, I'm nothing great. Why did I get to stay around when so many others have passed on? Ahh damn, I'm getting all emotional now... It's crazy when a forum can make you tear up huh?

I think thats a good idea, talk to the Chaplain and maybe to a counsler while its all still fresh in your head. You've been through a lot. It might be even worse since you are Military and have already been overseas. Maybe you are here because there is something you still have to do with your life. Don't question it.. just embrace it. You do deserve to be alive.  ;) Every day now is a new beginning.

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2005, 08:43:57 am »
Hope you don't mind Madchat18, but I used some of your pictures to recomend a tC to a guy in another forum who is looking for a new car.  Told him it was very safe, even in a head on collision at 65 mph.

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2005, 06:45:00 am »
Zaphod, I don't mind at all if you post my pics elsewhere. I have good news, insurance paid everything off so now I'm not stressed out about that!
This space for sale.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2005, 10:40:02 am »
Insurance is like Christmas.

Well... sometimes...

::)

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2005, 07:23:55 pm »
Insurance is how our family got our first computer with Windows. 133mhz of raw power. I was definitely the cool kid on the block, and when your block is about 10 square miles in size, that's saying something. (Yes we lived in the middle of nowhere.)