Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto 4  (Read 8719 times)

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
Re: Grand Theft Auto 4
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 06:04:37 am »
GTA should be put to rest.  Seriously, after GTA 3 what did they really do with the new games?  The basic gameplay is the same, they just changed the maps and added some customobility.  Its like Madden.  Why do you need to keep coming out with a totally new game every year?  Why not team expansion packs?  Guess its just me, I know it will still sell like hot cakes just because its GTA.

Did you ever see a sequel to a game that DID make huge changes?  Rockstar found a formula that works and their sticking with it.  Franchises usually change very litte, for example: We Love Katamari, Metal Gear Solid 2, Sly Cooper 2, Every Pokemon game, etc, etc.

And as far as I'm concerned the game has change ALOT since GTA3.  I mean I don't remember any of these things in GTA3:
  • jets
  • girlfriends
  • gambling
  • hovercrafts
  • triathlons
  • gang system
  • gang wars
  • customizable cars
  • bikes
  • motorcycles
  • monster trucks
  • stadium games
  • shooting range
  • assets
  • customizeable character

Did I miss anything?

It just bothers me that companies do this.  I know it makes good buisness sence since people keep buing them.  The trouble is that when people keep buying the same thing over and over again we get the death of innovation.  Companies no longer make origonal titels because they have a sure thing with another rehash.  We are now starting to see this with GTA, but the same thing has happened in other genres.  This is the whole problem with the current game industry.  Most games I barely glance at because they are all remakes.  A good example is Empire Earth II.  I got bored even before I finished the tutorials.  I had seen ALL of it before, not one origonal idea.  Even the graphics were bland.  I played a ton of GTA 3, some of VC (not nearly as much), and I am going to check out SA, but I doubt I will find it very interesting.  Everything you listed is just frosting.  Oh... look... I can give my character tatoos.  None of them add anything that I really want to stick around for.  I'll go play some Total Annihilation now.

Offline Gil

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 10:38:20 am »
As an European, I hope they go to europe, base on of the cities on amsterdam, with canals etc. One of the cities on Paris, and maybe a london or berlin, or one of the southern cities

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 11:01:12 am »
It just bothers me that companies do this.  I know it makes good buisness sence since people keep buing them.  The trouble is that when people keep buying the same thing over and over again we get the death of innovation.  Companies no longer make origonal titels because they have a sure thing with another rehash.  We are now starting to see this with GTA, but the same thing has happened in other genres.  This is the whole problem with the current game industry.  Most games I barely glance at because they are all remakes.  A good example is Empire Earth II.  I got bored even before I finished the tutorials.  I had seen ALL of it before, not one origonal idea.  Even the graphics were bland.  I played a ton of GTA 3, some of VC (not nearly as much), and I am going to check out SA, but I doubt I will find it very interesting.  Everything you listed is just frosting.  Oh... look... I can give my character tatoos.  None of them add anything that I really want to stick around for.  I'll go play some Total Annihilation now.
  I understand where you're coming from on this one but, to me I can see why people buy sequels to games.  Some people are content with a game and simply want more of it with the proverbial frosting.  I had a good analogy to go here but, I've been up for like 35hrs and now I'm going to bed.

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 09:27:34 pm »
The next GTA is GTA 6, not 4. There was GTA, GTA 2, GTA 3 (Liberty City), GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas. I liked all but #2, which was in the future so nothing was realistic. I foresee the following additions to GTA 6:

Skateboards
Razor Scooters
Roller Blades/Skates
Pogo Sticks
Segways
Stilts
Submarines
Hang Gliders
Jetskis
Skis
Snowboards
Snowmobiles

They will continue to add every possible vehicle you can use in REAL LIFE (I hope). That means more recognizable cars, like VW Bugs, Jeep Grand Cherokees, and Escalades, the kinds of cars you'd see in real life, instead of a bunch of repeatedly generic models.

There really is a unlimited amount of realism they can add onto this game, which is what they have been trying (and failing miserably) with EATING, EXERCISING, AND DATING (I hate all three, in real life AND in a game).

What I personally hope for is more destructable environments, for example in GTA 3 some chainlink fences could not be destroyed, but they fixed that in Vice City. In San A., you can drive a hummer 100 MPH straight into the side of a building, and suddenly stop. That I think they will fix next, so that you can crash thru some walls. I'd also like to see bullet holes that actually destroy the wall, as well as rocket launchers that do damage to buildings. Starting fires with gasoline should be implemented. picking up any object and using that as a weapon would be nice, for example breaking a bottle and stabbing someone with it. Also different ways to kill people, like slicing their throat, choking them with your bare hands or with a wire, or whatever else you can think of.

One very important improvement they should add is realistic bullet damage on people, so that if you shoot someone in the leg, you can see blood start pouring out of their leg and they fall to the ground and start crawling away, realistic things like that. Or if you use a shotgun, it actually rips off body parts, and is more gory than other guns. MORE GORE is very important I think.

I imagine for GTA 6 they will make the map three times as large again, maybe even do the united states on a smaller scale, so they have everything, all the monuments everywhere, seattle and the space needle and trees, california beaches and the hollywood sign, the las vegas strip, newyorks sky scrapers, washington DCs monuments (assassinate the president inside the white house), Yellowstone and everything else they can squeeze into a map three times the size of San Andreas. That would be AWESOME.

I look forward to better AI response too, so that people really act like people. You should be able to flip anyone off at any time, whip it out and start pissing (like is Postal 2), grabbing people and whatever else that you can imagine, and have people scream in disgust and run and hide and start cursing at you or whatever else. That is the whole point of the GTA series, building a universe in which you can do everything imaginable. I hope they continue doing this in the most controversial and insulting way possible. They have to keep pushing the limits of what you can do in a video game, otherwise they won't stay as popular.

Oh and they totally need Superman Mode, where you can pick up cars and people and throw them and ANYTHING YOU WANT, Crash through buildings, collapse sky scrapers like 9/11 (though that will never happen because of maximum profitability BS).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 11:38:40 pm by deeplee »

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 10:33:50 am »
Actually, it will be number 7 (8 if you count GTA:London).  Liberty City Stories should be out around October 15th
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 10:37:43 am by danzik »

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 12:48:53 pm »
GTA London was a mission expansion pack for GTA so I don't think it counts...  But Liberty City Stories definitely counts, so yeah GTA 7.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2005, 01:12:21 am »
Actully I hope for a smaller map I dislike the huge map of San Andreas I'd much rather the game was just the size of say LS and LV not including country by the time you start to learn a map you had to move on and never really visted many parts of different cities GTA Vice city you visit nearly every part of the city at some point in the game there are huge parts of SF I never even needed to go near and basically LV is just driving up and down the strip to do most of the missions. Then you ad the Desert and country sections where you have whole towns that you never visit are just pass through with out stopping simply because they offer no actual reason to stop there. The country was a good idea but they only needed only country or only desert not both.

I say Smaller city that utilizises the entire map for various things instead of huge areas that just there for the simple fact of making traveliing in anything other than a plane a nightmare. and even then it takes for ever to get anywhere.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2005, 06:42:09 am »
GTA should be put to rest.  Seriously, after GTA 3 what did they really do with the new games?  The basic gameplay is the same, they just changed the maps and added some customobility.  Its like Madden.  Why do you need to keep coming out with a totally new game every year?  Why not team expansion packs?  Guess its just me, I know it will still sell like hot cakes just because its GTA.

Did you ever see a sequel to a game that DID make huge changes?  Rockstar found a formula that works and their sticking with it.  Franchises usually change very litte, for example: We Love Katamari, Metal Gear Solid 2, Sly Cooper 2, Every Pokemon game, etc, etc.

And as far as I'm concerned the game has change ALOT since GTA3.  I mean I don't remember any of these things in GTA3:
  • jets
  • girlfriends
  • gambling
  • hovercrafts
  • triathlons
  • gang system
  • gang wars
  • customizable cars
  • bikes
  • motorcycles
  • monster trucks
  • stadium games
  • shooting range
  • assets
  • customizeable character

Did I miss anything?
Yes, swimmming.
 :D
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2005, 08:57:54 am »
I fell to my knees with happynes when I hard about swimming....

my tought s on Gta4:
Fully modeled city inside and out, fully modeled flowing water imagine lakes, rivers, and streams; flowing down into a bay and out to sea.

as for location: Seattle, Chicago or Boston, New Orleans/ Memphis/ pick a southern city

I want a large spread out city as well as a vertical city

as for new forms of transport, "skates".... why, you ask?   

imagine diving down a narrow steep street a car goes through a cross streat. You jump up just in time, in a rush you don't see the car at the next intersection.... Bam! you hit with a sick bone crunch and flip over the car, arms and legs flailing and land with a skidding stop in the lobby of a swank downtown hotel.

the parachute is my favorite  thing other than swimming and i think skates would add a new way to get around.
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2005, 03:50:40 pm »
I think of GTA3, VC, and SA as more of a trilogy than sequels to each other. They both used the same engine and they also had character and storyline ties to each other. So it may very well be GTA4. The main thing I want in the next GTA is physics and AI (take a hint from Oblivion). Also, I want more choice, not just to do with misc. character animations, but with the actual story, like in the Gothic series where you could choose a faction. Just like that they should add choices. Say at different points in the game you choose a street gang, later an organized crime syndicate, and eventually make have your own.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2005, 06:06:04 pm »
if gta had rad doll physics applied to every object...... just imagine

imagine running down a crowded sidewalk with your car

pedestrian 1: is thrown over the car's top
pedestrian 2: hits the bumper, is pushed forward and under the car
pedestrian 3: jumps out of the way
pedestrian 4: tries to jump out of the way, waist and legs are crushed under the car
pedestrian 5: hits the bumper and is thrown over the hood.

imagine you are snipering from a high building
cops gather and try to shoot you down

you sight cop 1, you aim for a head shot but you hit his shoulder, he goes down and crawls away clutching his arm.
cop 2 shoots at your hiding spot and misses, his shots carve chunks out of the wall.
you sight cop 2, first shot hits him dead in the stomach nocking him back into a squad car behind him making it rock on its springs
cop 3 helps cop 2 up and they continue to fire at you.
you pull out a automatic and tear into their cover, cop 2 pops up and you rip him in half across the chest.
 you nail cop 3 with a head shot he topples over
a police sniper takes aim from a block away, his shot takes you behind the jaw and you topple over the railing. tumbling
to the ground...... Wasted!

I've thought out a new must have for gta4... locked doors
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2005, 06:31:16 pm »
if gta had rad doll physics applied to every object...... just imagine

imagine running down a crowded sidewalk with your car

pedestrian 1: is thrown over the car's top
pedestrian 2: hits the bumper, is pushed forward and under the car
pedestrian 3: jumps out of the way
pedestrian 4: tries to jump out of the way, waist and legs are crushed under the car
pedestrian 5: hits the bumper and is thrown over the hood.

imagine you are snipering from a high building
cops gather and try to shoot you down

you sight cop 1, you aim for a head shot but you hit his shoulder, he goes down and crawls away clutching his arm.
cop 2 shoots at your hiding spot and misses, his shots carve chunks out of the wall.
you sight cop 2, first shot hits him dead in the stomach nocking him back into a squad car behind him making it rock on its springs
cop 3 helps cop 2 up and they continue to fire at you.
you pull out a automatic and tear into their cover, cop 2 pops up and you rip him in half across the chest.
 you nail cop 3 with a head shot he topples over
a police sniper takes aim from a block away, his shot takes you behind the jaw and you topple over the railing. tumbling
to the ground...... Wasted!

I've thought out a new must have for gta4... locked doors
There is a problem however. The game itself is huge already, with tons and tons of music and image files all over. Right now, it's probably physically impossible to fit all that content with a full blown dragdoll physics engine onto 1 DVD disk. Also, current generation of gaming consoles aren't able to support that kind of graphics, due to crappy GPU's and little RAM. It is possible, however, to make that into the PC version of GTA, but the main focus of Rockstar games is making those console versions of GTA, in which the gaming experience is much better with a controller.
Your dream might come true when the PS3 comes out, but if Rockstar makes the game initially on the PS3 with Blue-Ray (which can support over 20gb on one disk), then it'll be very hard to port that onto an Xbox version. Although it's possible that you can compress files and decompress them, taking advantage of the PPC triple-core processor, it'll take a huge chunk of processing power off, and thus falling behind the cell. On the GPU side, however, both GPU's in both consoles seems pretty close in comparison of processing power, so there is no doubt that games that come out for both consoles will be looking great. But GTA on Xbox? I'd still have to see what RockStar decides to do.
And that's all for now   :)
I'm on a highway to hell.