Author Topic: Creatures without thumbs  (Read 11578 times)

Offline spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My website
Creatures without thumbs
« on: December 01, 2006, 04:16:10 pm »
I have seen some intresting creatures in most of the spore videos (E3) etc. I had a interesting thought, some of the creatures I have seen dont have any hands, some have Clubs with spikes for hands, My thought was How can the build anything, TV's. weapons, or space ships. would'nt it be relistic to limit tech level to the ability of a race to build things that can manipulate there enviroment. Just a thought.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:59:41 pm by spore »

Offline Snake

• Choplifter Captain
  • Bow down.
    • View Profile
Re: Monsters who can build TV's
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 04:22:59 pm »
There are sea-born vehicles. And you might use two clubs to manipulate things, or your claws to clamp down on an object, etc.
Please look at the Miala and their Wiki on the page.

Quote from: Gungnir
Blarg chicka blarg-blarg

Offline spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 04:29:48 pm »
I did a quick search through the fourm, the vehicles editor has a section for water based ones so thats that question answered I think.

If you did use hands/clubs to make things then they could not be too complex. There would be a limit to what you could build.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 05:53:24 pm by spore »

gec05

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 09:12:01 pm »
Then the game won't be fun anyore. Where there's a will, there's a way. If you can't reach something, use a stool. If you can't fly, build something that can. Will Wright wants players to control nearly every aspect of the game so your creatures ability to make tools won't be limited. As far as surviving in the creature stage, that is different. If your creature has no eyes, it will take longer to advance. Either way, they can make up for in technology and ingenuity.

Offline Snake

• Choplifter Captain
  • Bow down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 11:19:27 pm »
Correction: Instead of where there is a will, there is a way. Lets all say " Where there is Will Wright, there is a way"
Please look at the Miala and their Wiki on the page.

Quote from: Gungnir
Blarg chicka blarg-blarg

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 11:23:57 pm »
I seem to recall reading that in the Creature Editor that your choice of hands helps determine your Social rating. It might be that very primitive hands will make it impossible to continue onto the Tribal phase-- after all without a social dynamic, how can your creature be in a tribe?

I think the answer also lies in whether or not creatures can grab  and manipulate things with their mouths. I believe they can at least drag food along with their mouths while feeding, though that's just a simple mixing of verbs (eating + moving) and it might be that mouths =are not= programmed to perform the same tasks as manipulators. If they aren't, then advancing to the Tribal stage where tool use becomes important would be impossible without proper manipulators.

Weapons like spikes, clubs, etc certainly aren't going to be programmed to grab spears, so there's no question about limiting technology or not. There can't be technology without some limb that's able to manipulate things, but I think technology for a given species will be an on/off switch not 'tiers' limited by manipulator capacity, because until you unlock some sort of genetic engineering there's no way to go back and change it. It'd shut off a lot of the content for your species that you've already invested at least several hours into, so I just don't think it's a viable game design decision.. but that's just my opinion.

Offline crazyMLC20

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • "I'm Will Wright, Bitch!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 11:29:27 pm »
Correction: Instead of where there is a will, there is a way. Lets all say " Where there is Will Wright, there is a way"
never, cuz then when Will dies, we wont have a way :( (or a Will ( :( )) (or a Will Wright ( :( ))
why are you reading this.

are you insane?
hehehehehehadhjsghjklhfjkhkj

Offline thorjarle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Between the lines
    • View Profile
    • thorjarle.com - mellom linjene
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 12:02:28 am »
I seem to recall reading that in the Creature Editor that your choice of hands helps determine your Social rating. It might be that very primitive hands will make it impossible to continue onto the Tribal phase-- after all without a social dynamic, how can your creature be in a tribe?

I have thought of this myself and what you say here makes perfectly sense! I really hope it is like this. Good post :)

Offline spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 02:54:16 am »
Thanks all, you all made some intresting points.
for example if your creature had hands it could make missile weapons like a bow arrow/spear. If your creature did not hands they would not be hold tools or weapons. Even if your creature was very effective at combat without them, being able to hold a weapon will probbly be more effective.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 04:25:08 am »
Could you change the subject title to Creatures without thumbs, or something along those lines? When someone else has a similiar thought in a few months, even if they search for the topic, they won't find it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 04:45:19 am by Slartibartfast »

Offline jonnypuko

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Im gonna sign your pity on the runny kine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 07:00:56 am »
I think it's great to allow species with "simple hands" such as spikes, clubs, etc...  The whole point of the game is to allow you to do whatever you want.  It's completely realistic to assume that a species without fingers and thumbs (and everything else we take for granted) could create complex tools and devices.  An extremely social organism might work with other members of its species to manipulate its environment.  A few creatures with no hands could cooperate using mouths or tails or whatever to do the same thing a hand might do. You just have to think outside the box.

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 07:49:11 am »
its kinda unrealistic that a armles thing could make anything but games doesnt always have to be realistic to be fun...you al got your ideas of how to make your creatures and vechicles etc. but if you cant because you dont want to have your creature have hands or something that would be just lame

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 11:20:57 am »
I believe if that happens you'll probably have a hard time getting past the creature stage and then there's the tribal phase, i doubt you'd get past it with that sort of creature, so if your creature is good enough to do that with no hands, well then he deserves to have anything he wants.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 01:09:15 pm »
Land creatures can make boats and crap. It was in a video, the GDC '05 video I believe. When he's first in the spaceship, you can see amphibious vehicles in the water/ land.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 01:27:19 pm »
Land creatures can make boats and crap. It was in a video, the GDC '05 video I believe. When he's first in the spaceship, you can see amphibious vehicles in the water/ land.

I'm not sure if that was the question :-\