Author Topic: Small Arms Now on Xbox Live Arcade  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Small Arms Now on Xbox Live Arcade
« on: November 22, 2006, 12:50:45 pm »
One of the most highly anticipated Xbox Live Arcade titles has just been released. It's a 43 MB download and costs 800 points ($10).

I've played the trial version, and it is very fun. Yes, it is obviously derived from Smash Bros., but the game actually plays much differently than Smash Bros. For one, you will not be relying on Melee attacks, and will most likely use them only as a last resort. Your guns are going to be your primary weapons. A very good article describing the game was written over at 360 Fanboy:

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/11/22/small-arms-impressions-its-real-splodey/

I'm going to be buying the full version, so feel free to send me an invite if you want to play some online! :)

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: Small Arms Now on Xbox Live Arcade
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 05:56:53 pm »
I had been excited about this game, and I tried the demo, first time I booted up my 360 sense I got my Wii, and I thought it was only alright. Could be I need to try online, could be that I can only handle so many new games at one time. I don't know it just not there for me.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 08:37:14 pm »
I've been looking forward to this for a while too but sadly I don't think it's worth the full 800 points. I liked the characters and jumping and movement are handled well. However, the combat doesn't work all that well (you need to use the right analogue stick AND the face buttons), the camera is a bit unhelpful when the characters are far apart and that forced-scrolling train was the final nail in the coffin. I don't like being stuck off the screen, thanks.
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 09:47:19 pm »
However, the combat doesn't work all that well (you need to use the right analogue stick AND the face buttons)

I found the combat to work out quite well. Remember, Jumping is also mapped to the bumpers.The only face buttons you'll need are Dash and Punch, neither of which you will use very often. In the rare cases that you must use either of these, it doesn't hamper the game to take your thumb off the right stick for a couple seconds, especially because you don't need to aim your weapon to do either of these moves.

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 09:56:02 pm »
I found the combat to work out quite well. Remember, Jumping is also mapped to the bumpers.The only face buttons you'll need are Dash and Punch, neither of which you will use very often. In the rare cases that you must use either of these, it doesn't hamper the game to take your thumb off the right stick for a couple seconds, especially because you don't need to aim your weapon to do either of these moves.

!

I did not know that. Hmm, I may need to have another go and re-evaluate. Thanks, kind and learned Mr Pilot.
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 10:41:58 am »
I'm reserving this space for a longer review later
but, while it has a few things that could be improved on, Small Arms is, price per play, a pretty good deal.

In short, Small Arms=much fun.