Author Topic: Map of the galaxy  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
Map of the galaxy
« on: November 27, 2006, 01:31:34 pm »
hey, I just had the idea of a map for the galaxy of the fanfic universe...so we can see, who our neighbours are.
Of course we can also name some regions in this map to make RPing (especially wars) easier and more visuable.

So, everyone can put his or her species into this pic. ( :D Now, I forgot to put the Snepres on it, but I will make it....maybe tomorrow.)

As always, when I'm making a new thread, I used the search button to be sure, that there wasn't a thread like this. ^^

There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline chaosandwalls

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Opening a new can of spam
    • View Profile
Re: Map of the galaxy
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 01:38:15 pm »
We've been through this idea before and decided against it
There are 10 types of people in the world.

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 01:45:39 pm »
No, this is the fourth time someone's brought this up. No maps.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 02:27:31 pm »
And may I know the reason?

Btw: I think I should keep this thread, because I used the search button and I didn't found a thread like this...so when someone has the idea...again, AND he or she is using the search button he/she will see this.  :)
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 02:30:50 pm »
Because people always want to make their "Empires" strech half the galaxy.

Idea: We make a map, where we only plot our "Main" star system not our entire region! I think that could work.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 02:34:13 pm »
Erm...this was my idea...everyone puts his or her star system into the map...

And maybe some regions, which were really important (for example battlefields or Beyon City and stuff like that).

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 02:59:11 pm »
Possibility A: The galaxy is seeded by a few people and everyone proceeds to put their home system around these seeds to set up alliances etc.
The rest of the galaxy is empty. Battlefields and landmarks can for the most part be chosen by plotting a point with two random numbers or picking a spot between two stars.

Possibility B: People pick random spots in the galaxy. It becomes cluttered with labels. Battlefields and landmarks are still mostly arbitrary, but now everything else is too.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline nuclearchinchila

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 03:23:11 pm »
Possibility A: The galaxy is seeded by a few people and everyone proceeds to put their home system around these seeds to set up alliances etc.
The rest of the galaxy is empty. Battlefields and landmarks can for the most part be chosen by plotting a point with two random numbers or picking a spot between two stars.

Possibility B: People pick random spots in the galaxy. It becomes cluttered with labels. Battlefields and landmarks are still mostly arbitrary, but now everything else is too.

Possibility C: We completely ignore the idea of different distances between different systems and the possiblities of actually plotting our spots in the galaxy.  Resulting in battles and RP things to continue to make little sense and resulting in all ETAs to planets and such completely randomly generated numbers with no basis in fact.

--Ok so I know that sounded kinda dumb but still, what could it hurt if we TRY to plot our systems?  If it ends up being more trouble then it's worth we'll just trash the idea or maybe tweak it to try and make more sense.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 03:44:19 pm »
what could it hurt if we TRY to plot our systems?

See above:

Because people always want to make their "Empires" stretch half the galaxy.

It makes absolutely no sense to try to map things, since everyone will claim to own several hundred thousand star systems (and this number will progressively get larger because of e-penis wavery) and we'll run out of planets very quickly.

EDIT:
Here's the link to the last threads - they weren't hard to find. You search for "map" in the CC section.
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=3629.0
"empire map" or "territory" or something like that throws this one up:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=3029.0

EDIT2:
Interestingly enough, there was another thread which was deleted, I believe. :-\
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 03:54:46 pm by Daxx »

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 03:54:48 pm »

See above:

It makes absolutely no sense to try to map things, since everyone will claim to own several hundred thousand star systems (and this number will progressively get larger because of e-penis wavery) and we'll run out of planets very quickly.

EDIT:
Here's the link to the last threads - they weren't hard to find. You search for "map" in the CC section.
"empire map"
"galaxy map"
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=3892.0

Thats eksactly my point... We only alow a species to chart their Main system and that way we avoid the "My empire is bigger than yours" problem, this could work  :)

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 04:32:45 pm »

See above:

EDIT:
"empire map"
"galaxy map"
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=3892.0

Thats eksactly my point... We only alow a species to chart their Main system and that way we avoid the "My empire is bigger than yours" problem, this could work  :)
I love the idea of a map, and yes, I agree, if we only plot our main system, no one will become all-powerful and take up half the galaxy. (not that that would be a problem for me: my creatures are probably going to invent the wheel some time this weekend...)

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 05:24:29 pm »
Not a problem for me. All I need is my home planet. If I wasn't modest I'd demand that my creature's real home planet was also put in and maybe the future ring of life, but a limit of one per creature should suffice. Plus we can put other planets like Beyon (mentioned before, I know), Arcadia, that one black market, and other things. It could work rather well.

Plus, this style map lets the less tech advanced nations have their say in it, by allowing only home planet's in. It could also serve as a great reference point for RPs.

Verdict: thumbs up.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 05:51:30 pm »
Well if you do the Nauceans where somewhere neat the delta quadrant.

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 05:53:36 pm »
yeah... a grid, or coordinate system would be nice

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 04:10:04 am »
I shall undertake the creation of a Grid! And by that, I mean I'll get a friend to help me with it and take alll the credit. Heh heh, just kidding.

He'll do all the work.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.