Author Topic: Will the PSP make a comeback?  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Will the PSP make a comeback?
« on: November 27, 2006, 10:27:23 am »
I know there's a long thread about PSP death but I think it's coming back or, at least, its hanging in there.

How do I know?  I work at a retail store that sells video games although not many.  We're all out of DSes and parents are coming in specifically looking for GBAs because they think the DS is a little too complicated for small kids--and I agree but thats besides the point.  While I see lots of people coming in for Nintendo product, I'm noticing a spike in PSP purchases for both the system and games themselves.  While smaller kids and grown ups seem to prefer Nintendo hand-helds, teens and tweens are more interested in the PSP since it has the "mature" games and, although no one has mentioned it, I suspect that some of the older crowd is interested in the PSP homebrew scene.

So even though the DS seems more popular overall, there are more than a few people who prefer the PSP.

"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
Re: Will the PSP make a comeback?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:40:01 am »
I still use my PSP pretty much every day to check RSS and also read this forum.
Really, I think it just depends on what you want to do.
If I'm heading somewhere that has internet access and can only bring one system, the PSP is going to get the nod since it allows for more than just games.
Not to mention, it's nice to be able to watch videos with friends when there's down time.

Also, keep an eye out for the PSP camera and gps unit.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:38:15 am »
I concur. The PSP really has a lot of great games now, and the fact that it's price has fallen quite a bit since it's release really helps.

Edit: Seems like we are right, so far.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 03:11:52 am by Cool AN »

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 09:39:27 am »
I concur. The PSP really has a lot of great games now, and the fact that it's price has fallen quite a bit since it's release really helps.

Wow. The sales are up on the biggest shopping day of the year. what a shocker.
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 09:45:24 am »

Wow. The sales are up on the biggest shopping day of the year. what a shocker.

That is why I said so far. Higher sales mean that more people have them so word of mouth spreads more.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 09:59:30 am »
There is already far more sold DSes so im afraid your "word of mouth" power is feeble compared to the already all powerful DS.
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 10:19:42 am »
There are far more DS's then PSP's, in Japan. In the US and Europe the sales are much closer.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 10:32:37 am »
There are far more DS's then PSP's, in Japan. In the US and Europe the sales are much closer.

Out of curiosity, how are you counting the PSP's sales? Sony only counts shipped units.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 11:34:26 am »

Wow. The sales are up on the second biggest shopping day of the year. what a shocker.

Fixed.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 12:34:52 pm »

Out of curiosity, how are you counting the PSP's sales? Sony only counts shipped units.

Mostly general statements from Sony and Nintendo. And some sales numbers.

Though thinking about it I probably should retract that statement, since I don't have all that much to based it on. Besides some sales numbers but I can't remember where I read that so that really doesn't help.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 02:05:34 pm »

Though thinking about it I probably should retract that statement, since I don't have all that much to based it on. Besides some sales numbers but I can't remember where I read that so that really doesn't help.

When you get numbers from Sony, that's the number of PSPs they've sent out to market to supply stores and whatnot with. When Nintendo says, "We've moved 28 million DSs," that's how many they've sold. Last I checked, Nintendo had sold more DSs than Sony had shipped PSPs, though admittedly that was a while back. The way Sony counts things has been an issue of debate for a while now. For example, it's still readily debatable how many units of the PS1 and PS2 they actually sold. Don't get me wrong: I'm not questioning that either of those systems sold tons, megatons even, but the methodology they use for keeping track of their numbers is deceptive and makes any real comparison very difficult. I would estimate that the DS has sold almost 10 million more units than the PSP worldwide. What am I basing that on? Conjecture, some sales charts, etc. But I'd be shocked if the real numbers aren't somewhat close to that.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 02:39:30 pm »

When you get numbers from Sony, that's the number of PSPs they've sent out to market to supply stores and whatnot with. When Nintendo says, "We've moved 28 million DSs," that's how many they've sold. Last I checked, Nintendo had sold more DSs than Sony had shipped PSPs, though admittedly that was a while back. The way Sony counts things has been an issue of debate for a while now. For example, it's still readily debatable how many units of the PS1 and PS2 they actually sold. Don't get me wrong: I'm not questioning that either of those systems sold tons, megatons even, but the methodology they use for keeping track of their numbers is deceptive and makes any real comparison very difficult. I would estimate that the DS has sold almost 10 million more units than the PSP worldwide. What am I basing that on? Conjecture, some sales charts, etc. But I'd be shocked if the real numbers aren't somewhat close to that.

Yeah I know Sony only show shipped numbers, however I do remember reading some reports that said the number of PSP's they have sold but it has been a while since I read them so I may be mistaken.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 02:58:37 pm »
Yeah I know Sony only show shipped numbers, however I do remember reading some reports that said the number of PSP's they have sold but it has been a while since I read them so I may be mistaken.

That's cool. Just checking. :) I'll say this much though: You want a clear indication of a game system's profitability? Look at what the 3rd parties are saying. EA has announced they're directing all future handheld development to the DS; others are claiming that Sony needs to pay more attention to the PSP or they'll jump ship as well. The latter isn't likely since Sony never advertises the PSP as a gaming machine. Nearly all its commercials for the system are featuring its multimedia functions rather than its status as a gaming platform. The reason, IMO, is that Sony is redirecting its focus with the system away from gaming since they don't feel it's able to take the DS on; they're beginning to market it as something else, hoping it has more success in that regard. It's unlikely that they'll provide it much software support since they're throwing all their cash behind the PS3's success. As you heard, it had a troubled launch. Sony cannot afford for the PS3 to fail; they have to back it with everything they've got. 

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 12:51:15 am »
I don't think it's going to make a comback.  It's been selling pretty well, and will probably continue doing so, but I don't ever see it catching up to the DS.

I'm generally someone who enjoys more "mature" games over the Nintendo "kiddy" style, but even now there are very little games I would be interested in buying for the PSP.  It seems to be selling simply because it's the Playstation rather than anything else, and the 13 year olds that think it's cool.  Frankly, I can play Playstation games on my Playstation, why should I pay more for stripped down ports of them instead?

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 07:12:13 am »
Not to mention you need a PlayStation 3 to get PlayStation games onto your PSP.

Offline FoxSpirit

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 10:15:41 am »
Well, PSX games on PSP would seriously rock... since they would be precise ports unlike PS2 stuff. But needing a PS3 for that?? Naw  :-[

DS currently simply has the far superior software library... while on PSP I'd think of... 4 games or so. And three of them are ports.
Cellphone ringtones, the Chinese water-torture of our time.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 12:24:03 pm »
Maybe you should look at more PSP games then?

Anyways, I have heard a rumor that Sony is gonna make PS1 games available on the PSP's browser in the future. Though it was just a rumor.

Offline FoxSpirit

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 07:48:54 am »
Maybe I'm an RPG person?  ;)
Cellphone ringtones, the Chinese water-torture of our time.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 08:09:33 am »
Be gone foul heretic!

Anyway, then there really aren't that many PSP games for you. It really isn't a problem for me since I don't really like RPG's. Except Bioware's. Of course.

Offline uber fragger

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2006, 11:33:09 pm »
I suppose that may be because of the release of devhook so people up to 2.71 can run homebrew :D  But besides that, the PSP has games like Killzone and GTA or SOCOM that are appealing but it needs a price drop badly.  Although a "core" model was released, it still hasn't had a "real" price drop and can't compete as a media device coming with a 1GB card.  I have a 4GB card and I still want more, but I have a ton of homebrew on my 1.5 PSP....

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 06:21:35 am »
I think Sony should make the Giga Pack the standard pack from now on (though I don't think you need the little stand for the PSP) and drop the price to 200 or under.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 11:02:17 am »
Well, PSX games on PSP would seriously rock...

The best thing about Sony's new, high-powered handheld would be the fact that you can play ten-year old games on it?

Sorry: the fact that you can pay your money again to play ten-year old games that you've already played with no improvements at all on it?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 12:11:02 pm »
You could say the same about the Wii's virtual console, or Xbox Live. It is a big factor for a lot of people who want to have all their old games on a newer platform so they don't have to dig out their old systems.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 12:51:59 pm »
You could say the same about the Wii's virtual console, or Xbox Live. It is a big factor for a lot of people who want to have all their old games on a newer platform so they don't have to dig out their old systems.

Actually, I think it's less useful. A PS2 can already do BC well enough to play all the PSX games, and I haven't heard of any major shifts towards the older games. Most people seem more interested in the new stuff, which I think is part of the PlayStation marketing model. The idea of next-gen graphics, fresh, young, hip. The thing with the Nintendo systems is that not a single one has been backwards compatible till the Wii. So the nostalgia level works a little differently on the Wii as opposed to a PlayStation.