Author Topic: Elder Scroll IV Oblivion  (Read 2176 times)

Offline musik_hi

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Elder Scroll IV Oblivion
« on: November 26, 2006, 08:23:38 pm »
Hello, I will be getting a new computer very soon. The Core 2 Duo iMac, 17 inch. I wanted to know if I can play Oblivion on the iMac if I use Bootcamp. Oh, its gonna be the one with the ATI X1600 video card. Also, how good is that video card? I dont know much about computer hardware  :-\. Thanks!

Offline DarkAngel

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Sherrif of the south pacific
    • View Profile
    • My PC
Re: Elder Scroll IV Oblivion
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 08:44:10 pm »
I see you registered just to ask this question... A lot of ppl are probably going to yell at you, because one of the forum rules is to not start new topics without searching to see if it exists already. A quick search for "obliviion" on this board will give you 15 pages of results...

I dont know much about boot camp, but I don't see why it shouldn't work...

The X1600 should be fine for playing oblivion. Exactly how fine depends on whether it is the "pro" or "xt" version of the card... (XT is better). X1600 review thanks to google.com

Offline musik_hi

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 09:05:15 pm »
Thanks!  ;D, but I didn't register just to post my question. I registered because I have been listening to Gaming Steve for a long time and figured "why not register for the forums?". I didn't pay attention to that part of the rules lol I hope I don't get deleted x_x (But 15 pages! I certainly would not go through all that just to find my question :P)

Offline DarkAngel

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Sherrif of the south pacific
    • View Profile
    • My PC
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 09:12:18 pm »
Thanks!  ;D, but I didn't register just to post my question. I registered because I have been listening to Gaming Steve for a long time and figured "why not register for the forums?". I didn't pay attention to that part of the rules lol I hope I don't get deleted x_x
Well, welcome anyway! I'm a bit of a newbie here too, but some people wont hesitate to burn you at the stake for practising heresy, um, I mean not following the rules  :D

(But 15 pages! I certainly would not go through all that just to find my question :P)
Yeah but you could find another oblivion thread with the search, and just add your question to the end of that thread.

Offline musik_hi

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 09:19:53 pm »

Yeah but you could find another oblivion thread with the search, and just add your question to the end of that thread.

Yep, very true... but I can't wait till I get rid of this piece of junk aka my computer. I cant play ANYTHING on here >_<
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 09:23:36 pm by musik_hi »

Offline The Dead Herring

• Dragster Diehard
  • Mmmmm grunge...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 10:19:24 am »
Congrats on getting a mac!! I am getting a Mac Book Pro with I think the exact same specs. I can't wait to get in on the pc gaming community with boot camp. That makes you the third mac user on this board I think.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 10:22:02 am by The Dead Herring »

Offline Belial0166

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 01:27:07 pm »
I am familiar with boot camp, and think it will probably work fine... but i have a couple of words of warning for ppl buying mac to use as pcs.

Firstly bootcamp is still a beta product (it wont be complete untill the launch of leapard) ans so it is not supported.....by anyone.... not apple, not ati(for the drivers) not microsoft(for windows) and not bethesda(for the game) so if you have problems you are on your own  :(

and secondly bootcamp is currently an xp boot system and thats all... that means that you wont be able to load vista on your mac. Apple havn't officailly said one way or the other if the full version (or future versions) will support other os's. This is very important for gamers as it means they wont have access to DirectX10 support.

I am a mac user.... but i wouldn't dream of using a mac to run pc games, because lets face it, some of them have a hard enough time running properly on a pc, let alone trying to use a mac pretending to be a pc ;)

Offline musik_hi

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 10:36:37 pm »
Wow the third user on here with a Mac lol thats awesome. Well I know I wont get support and all. I don't really plan to use my Mac as a PC gaming machine, its just that I tried the game at my cousins house and I liked it a lot. I do get to finally play World of Warcraft though ^_^ I know that game is available on the Mac thing.

Offline The Dead Herring

• Dragster Diehard
  • Mmmmm grunge...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 07:54:43 am »
I am familiar with boot camp, and think it will probably work fine... but i have a couple of words of warning for ppl buying mac to use as pcs.

Firstly bootcamp is still a beta product (it wont be complete untill the launch of leapard) ans so it is not supported.....by anyone.... not apple, not ati(for the drivers) not microsoft(for windows) and not bethesda(for the game) so if you have problems you are on your own  :(

and secondly bootcamp is currently an xp boot system and thats all... that means that you wont be able to load vista on your mac. Apple havn't officailly said one way or the other if the full version (or future versions) will support other os's. This is very important for gamers as it means they wont have access to DirectX10 support.

I am a mac user.... but i wouldn't dream of using a mac to run pc games, because lets face it, some of them have a hard enough time running properly on a pc, let alone trying to use a mac pretending to be a pc ;)

I am pretty sure I saw a news item about somebody managing to boot the beta of Vista on an intel mac. Also, although the officials may not 'support' it, Windows XP works just as well on a mac than it does on a PC. In fact, it runs better, when boot camp was first released, some benchmarks were taken between a Mac Book Pro running XP and an equally specced PC, the Mac Book Pro actually performed better in the test than its competitor.

Offline musik_hi

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 06:38:44 pm »
I am pretty sure I saw a news item about somebody managing to boot the beta of Vista on an intel mac. Also, although the officials may not 'support' it, Windows XP works just as well on a mac than it does on a PC. In fact, it runs better, when boot camp was first released, some benchmarks were taken between a Mac Book Pro running XP and an equally specced PC, the Mac Book Pro actually performed better in the test than its competitor.

Ha! take that PCs lol

Offline OrdoSanguis

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Ahoy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 07:07:18 pm »
Yeah, at least we have two mouse buttons.
WHAT NOW?!??!  :D

Offline musik_hi

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 07:58:39 pm »
so do we... only it looks more stylish and tricks people into thinking its one

Offline OrdoSanguis

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Ahoy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 09:44:30 pm »
I will not go so low as to have a Mac vs. PC debate.
Must... resist... temptation...

Offline musik_hi

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 09:50:21 pm »
lol, eh me neither. They're both the same in my eyes. O_O