Author Topic: Arcology  (Read 4807 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Arcology
« on: June 19, 2005, 12:47:21 am »
If you guys rember back to SimEarth and SimCity 2000 there was a building called an "Arcology". Basiclly it was a huge building that could hold a population the size of a whole city. In SimEarth you could do an "Exodus" and all your population on the planet would leave and move of into some other planet in space and leave the planet to the native life and let eveolution take its course again. Also if you had enough of them in SimCity 2000 i belive they would all take off and the land where they were were open to build on again.

My question is do you think you should be able do that to Spore planets? Meaning if you rule the whole planet you can just pack up your city to your UFO and use those resurces to plop a dome city like was mentioned in Will's speech. This would be no addtional cost than what was sucked up into the spaceship of course.

This way if a planet is is a perfect spot for life to grow up you could set it back to a nice little evolutionary nursery. And see what grows on your planet again. I personally loved the whole concept of an"Arcology".

What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 01:11:48 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcology
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 01:05:26 am »
Heh. I never saw that in SimCity2000, really. But I was younger back then and since then I'd lost the disc. Still, the whole thing seems cool. I'd love to have a relocation. What I'd do is first I'd use my UFO to create a planet made exactly to the specifications of my race. Afterwards, I'd take all of the cities and slide them all off of the outlands into Baator or something. Seriously, I'd love to have a chance to abandon a planet, preferrably after I've infliced unrepairably painful damage on the enviroment. Like my ancestors did in the old days. When the Turks would invade, they'd poison the wells, burn the crops, and run for the hills.

Yeah. Awesome.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 06:46:31 am »
I remember those in SimCity 2000... wound up building a bunch of those, and having to place police stations all around it.

I suppose the domed cities would be something similar to that...

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Spore - It's whatever you want it to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 12:26:42 pm »
Man i loved the arcologys in sim city 2000, they were so rediculously expensive, and not even that big, but could fit a whole cities worth of stuff in em, Stupid alien attacks always ruined em though!

Offline LobsterMobster

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Fear the devestation of the crustacean.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 02:00:00 pm »
I don't recall them ever taking off, but yeah, I built tons of those. :)

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 02:08:09 pm »
Haha, I totally forgot about arcs! Those things were lots of fun to waste money on. Then you unleash earthquakes!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 04:06:07 pm »
I don't recall them ever taking off, but yeah, I built tons of those.

Here we go i knew it was true. In the old "SimCity 2000: Stategies and Secrets (Special Edtion)" book it says, " if you have the Windows version and you have 350 of the Lauch Arcos (the one shown in the picture) they will take off"! :)

Thank ya Maxis for such a cool Easteregg!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 04:08:11 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 05:13:32 pm »
I don't recall them ever taking off, but yeah, I built tons of those.

Here we go i knew it was true. In the old "SimCity 2000: Stategies and Secrets (Special Edtion)" book it says, " if you have the Windows version and you have 350 of the Lauch Arcos (the one shown in the picture) they will take off"! :)

Thank ya Maxis for such a cool Easteregg!

Yeah, the only problem was they launched one at a time, really annoying hearing the bulldoze sound over and over and over...

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 08:41:50 pm »
*cough*BattlestarGalactica*cough*
"You can only see as far as you think."

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 12:07:26 pm »
So will Spore have "spin-dizzy" technology ala the Okie Cities?

See "Cities in Flight" saga by James Blish
They Shall Have Stars
A Life For The Stars
Earthman, Come Home
The Triumph Of Time

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 08:21:41 pm »
Lol. I have all those in a single volume. Probably the biggest book I have!

Crazy series though.

Arcologies (ys?) would be a great idea. Civilised cultures (all of them that we know about ;D) tend to mess up their planets' ecology...so while the thing heals, or destroys, itself pack everyone up into a box, or Arcology, and leave the planet to it.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 04:58:22 pm »
I don't know how big a single city can grow, but I bet with a little time, effort and creativity, you can make an archology in the building editor. My favorite were the "Dargo" archologies that stood on 3 legs. The in-game description states that "nobody knows why they don't fall over, and people are reported lost for weeks in it's caverious interior." (that was a rough paraphrase.)
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 07:22:46 pm »
Well, If u can't build out, build up.

I remember those in SimCity 2000.

Anyways the problem with em was if they got destroyed then u lost the whole thing.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 10:48:27 pm »
Those things were awesome. Although I assume that it's very possible that they are very similar to your Dome Cities (as mentioned above).

What's interesting is how close modern technology is allowing us to create massive cities in small areas. I don't know how many people pay attention to it but there were plans to use self-replicating/repairing Nano-Carbon Microtubes. They are not nano machines but simple molecules that are REALLY strong about 10+ times the strength of steel on just a microscopic level that just gets higher. It's a project City Planners from Japan have designed. They hope to create several large cities right next to Tokyo in this, for lack of a better word, Arcology. The hopes is to releive tension on Tokyo and other major cities by allowing people a place to live to commute (via High Speed Mag-Trams) to work.

How such a thing would work in spore..... well I assume with enough time and effort it is possible to make large building with multiple uses that is similar to an Arcology.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 03:27:23 am »
I think i might make a building like this for my city. Like the main one Will clicked on in the movie.