Author Topic: Recommend any books?  (Read 6353 times)

Offline Mikempty

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend any books?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 04:22:32 am »
Totally new to the forums but I have quite a few books to list. I am a very avid reader of Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

For starters, let's go fantasy.

Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Some of the absolute best fantasy written.
The Dragoncrown Cycle by Michael Stackpole(Start with the prequel to the trilogy called Dark War I believe). Very good series of books, couldn't put them down till I finished it.

David Gemmell's Drenai Saga. Another really good set of fantasy.

Any, and all of Neil Gaimans writing. Be it Sandman to Anasi Boys.(Though Good? Omens, I think that was the name was a really good book.)

And onto Sci-Fi.

Greg Bear - Moving Mars, Excellent read along with Eon. Both written by him.
The four books that make up the Enders series along with the four Shadow books that tie the universe together(I loved all eight, but I think I enjoyed the Shadow books a lot more than the other ones).
Asimov - How anyone can mention this man without the foundation series boggles me. Foundation is absolutely brilliant writing. It's a shame Asimov died, the series feels unfinished, but be that as it may it's a wonderful series of books and a truly great read.

It's one of those books that's sort of life changing(In my opinion) because of how great it's written.

Of course, the Dune series(Original series). He sort of went off the deep end in the later books though, and the ones his done are doing just aren't up to the par of the original IMHO.

Anyway, i'll quit rambling, but there's my list.

Oh! I forgot. Snowcrash. Go read it definately another life changing type book. And ok, so I babble. Masters of Doom is another good read. It doesn't fall into either category but it really is a good read.
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Offline Derk

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • My TEEF!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 08:35:25 pm »
I recomend Alien Chronicals It's written by Lucasfilm and is about a galactic imperial lizard empire who enslaves other alien races, and is saposed to be the literature dumping grond of the alien designs that didn't make it into any of the star wars movies.
Four Feet Good, Two Feet Bad!

Offline Anti45

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 03:56:30 am »
Gileads Blood by Dan Abbett

Set in the warhammer world, It takes place with our main charecter Gilead (an elf who's family came to the Old World during the sundering) We join the story at the end of Gileads 10 year quest to kill his the man who's soldiers killed his twin brother.

I wont ruin the story but well worth a read. 

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 08:58:51 am »
Yes Man by Danny Wallace was hilarious. It's basically about this guy who, when asked a yes or no question, has to answer yes. This can be anything from "Do you have change for a twenty?" to "Do you want a punch in the face?" It's really funny, he goes on all kinds of weird adventures.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe