Author Topic: Recommend any books?  (Read 6222 times)

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
Recommend any books?
« on: June 18, 2005, 09:41:58 pm »
Well to put it basiclly I would like to read a new book.  I have no idea what to read next.  I would like to go to another sci fi book since I just finished reading the 5 Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (I bought then all in one book collection called The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy).

If you all would be kind enough to recommend a book I am looking somewere along the lines of a sci fi genre.  I would like it to be long, around over 800 pages or a series of a handfull of books.  I would also like it if it were funny since I just got off the Hitchhikers Guide series.

"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline IscariotJ

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend any books?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 08:15:38 am »
Definately check out Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea Time Of The Soul, and to certain extent The Salmon Of Doubt, which contains the manuscript for Dirk Gently book 3, and other stuff.

Most of the Tom Holt books are amusing, too.

J

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 02:06:07 pm »
Lois Mcmaster Bujould's Vorkosigan saga starting with Shards of Honour is an amazing scifi series and I'd recommend them to just about anyone.  Really fun and really intriguing.  -leeman

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 06:20:39 am »
Starship Troopers - R Hienlien (the movie had almost nothing to do with the book)
Rogue Warrior - Richard Marchinko (the building of the conuter-terrorist Navy Seals) ignore the rest of the series though only the first has any basis in fact.

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 02:05:29 pm »
War of Honor
Eon
Red/green/blue mars
Man-Kzin Wars
Any Battletach book
Ender's game series

Lots of good fantasy books, but you only wanted scifi, so I'll leave themout ;)
"Whatever Febreeze can't fix, a gun will"

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 07:01:28 pm »
If you like books in the line of Heinlein, check out the Jupiter Novels, they use a similar writing style. John Ringo is also good, when it comes to fighting off the hordes of space aliens that seem to want our chunk of earth for whatever inexplicable reason. Read is "Gust Front", you won't regret it. If you REALLY like military sci-fi, the Robert Fortschen (sp?) lost regiment novels are quite good, if somewhat bloody.

Offline 5pectre

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Eurocorp Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 04:34:56 pm »
Starship Troopers - R Hienlien (the movie had almost nothing to do with the book)
Rogue Warrior - Richard Marchinko (the building of the conuter-terrorist Navy Seals) ignore the rest of the series though only the first has any basis in fact.

I loved Starship Troopers - that book is a masterpiece. Pretty much all of Heinlein's works were awesome - also consider checking out Philip K Dick and (obviously) William Gibson, Bruce Sterling and Neal Stephenson.
"Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 09:34:03 pm »
my personal favorite this year is Accelerando by Charles Stross
and the best part it's free online but It's better in print.

It's a collection of his stories that are part of a single naritive
If you read "Lobsters" you'd remember it ;)

also "Gaudeamus " or "Finity" by John Barnes

just read "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi
Great for fans of Military SciFi
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 04:15:33 pm by Golgrig »
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 09:42:25 pm »
The Sci Fi Crash Course:

Ray Bradbury (The Illustrated Man, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Fahrenheit 451), Larry Niven (Ringworld, The Ringworld Engineers, Tales of Known Space), Arthur C. Clarke (2001: A Space Odyssey, => 3001: The Final Odyssey) Isaac Asimov(Bicentenial Man; I, Robot) Robert A. Heinlein (Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land, Red Planet) Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game)

But you want something funny? Then I reccomend Larry Niven's Rainbow Mars which is actually a collection of short stories, but you shouldn't put quantity over quality. Rainbow Mars is not as funny as the Hitchhiker books, but it is a lot less serious than Niven's other books. ( SPOILER Teaser:One example of the comedy in Rainbow Mars is the main character will travel back in time, accidentally making Henry T. Ford competiting power source win out, steam power. When he returns to his own timeline, he cant hardly breathe because humans had by that time evolved to require carbon dioxide in the air!)

Offline otaku62

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 07:06:19 am »
"Road To Mars" by Eric Idle (of Monty Python fame).
About two standup comedians and their robot. They are on tour throughout the universe, and their robot Carlton is studying humour and comedy and trying zo understand it.
Just as great and hilarious as the Douglas Adams books!!!

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 12:49:39 pm »
If you like World of Warcraft I advise the War of the Ancients by Richard A. Knaak. It is a trilogy but it is really good.

Twiggs

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 11:12:03 pm »
Sundiver, Startide Rising, The Uplift War(David Brin)

Battlefield Earth(L. Ron Hubbard)

Dig or The Dig, I forget.(No idea)

That's actually all I've read in Sci-fi so far.

Brightness reef is next I think.  Whatever is next in the uplift series. I also have the illustrated guide for kicks.(David Brin)

Offline IscariotJ

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 11:33:37 am »
I know someone's already mentioned him, but Neal Stephenson is certainly worth a read.  Start with Snow Crash; with the exception of Zodiac - not scifi, though - I don't think his earlier stuff is that funny.  I also found HeadCrash by Bruce Bethke, amusing.

Offline Philmein

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 09:36:42 pm »
The Sci Fi Crash Course:

Isaac Asimov(Bicentenial Man; I, Robot)

How could you not mention The Foundation Trilogy? Those books are right up there with Starship Troopers, Ender's Game, and Dune as my favorite Sci-fi books of all time.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 07:10:19 am »
The Sci Fi Crash Course:

Isaac Asimov(Bicentenial Man; I, Robot)

How could you not mention The Foundation Trilogy? Those books are right up there with Starship Troopers, Ender's Game, and Dune as my favorite Sci-fi books of all time.
Your mileage may vary. ;D I only listed examples of works, I was more interested in mentioning the authors, rather than the works.