Author Topic: Bit Bot's Math Voyage  (Read 13325 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Bit Bot's Math Voyage
« on: November 23, 2006, 03:28:19 pm »
Does anyone else remember this game? I used to love it as a kid, but all I can find online is just old reviews by educational sites. Does anyone have it that could email it to me? Or know where I can download it? If not, then use this topic to just discuss the game.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Yankeefan

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Bit Bot's Math Voyage
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 08:56:22 pm »
Somehow it sounds very familiar. I'l check my archives...
Yankees rule, Red Sox drool!

www.poweruser.tv     I'm Joel

Get

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:07:11 am »
Any results from your archive check, man?

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 10:49:43 am »
A google search showed this thread as the third result. Clearly we are the most important site on the internet. I couldn't find much info besides that; it must be quite obscure.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:07:12 am »
Finding and playing this game should be our new mission. Everyone begin looking!

*thread is inactive for five more years*

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 12:50:23 pm »
Apparently in 2004, someone hid a copy of this game, along with several other CD-roms and various items, in an ammo box in an area of hills called the Wittenham Clumps, south of the village of Little Wittenham in the U.K. as part of a Geocaching expedition, seen here.

Then, in 2005, this post appeared in the logged visits section for the area. It appears to imply that the specific CD was taken by a family with a six-year son named Billy. (Other items, such as a copy of The Jungle Book, were left in its stead, as is the norm for geocaching) Assumably, Billy is now 10 or 11 and may very well have given up playing said CD since his younger days. If you could find some way of tracking down and contacting the family, they may be willing to part with the software (assuming they still have it) relatively cheaply. Possibly even for free.

Alternatively, the Math CD they were referring taking to may be different from the one originally left in there, and Bit Bot's Math Voyage could still be sitting in that Ammo Box. In that case, you (or a friend) would need to go to that area of U.K. and search for the box. It would require airfare, and some kind of GPS, probably, along with money for lodging or meals depending on where you stay. This is a list of potential hotels in the general area of Little Wittenham. It will no doubt come in handy. Also, be sure to leave a object of relatively equal value in the box as a courtesy to future Geocachers.

Also, you could just email this guy:
http://www.dysonpro.com/portfolio/resu.html
He apparently was a producer/programmer on the game. He might have an old version sitting around somewhere he'd be willing to copy for you or send to you via mail.

Fly to the U.K., go on a treasure hunt, email a guy...
All of these are things you could do I suppose.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:28:07 pm by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 05:51:24 pm »

I didn't understand a single bit of that. And who's Roysworld? :|

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 06:46:39 pm »
Sorry for the confusion.

Geocaching:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching
It's basically the closest thing the internet age has to treasure hunts. People hide containers filled with various items, give GPS coordinates, clues and whatnot, and other people try to find said containers. It's a hobby that's been around for roughly ten years now. It's not something I'm too familiar with to be honest, but it's always sounded cool to me. (First time I ever heard of it was in an episode of the 2002 version of The Twilight Zone. The UPN version. That should have raised some red flags for me from the start.)

In 2004, someone put a copy of the game that 762 was looking for in one of these containers and hid it in an area of hills in the U.K.
After reading this thread, I went looking around on various search engines for any remaining copies of the game, and came across that bit of information.

I was basically trying to suggest that, if he wanted to, 762 had the option of flying to a foreign country and going on a treasure hunt in search of a copy of a discontinued computer game from the mid-90s. I wasn't being serious. It just sounded like the best, most amazing way to get your hands on a copy of an old video game ever. The fact that the potential for something like that to happen actually existed, even if it was a long-shot, felt like something worth sharing. Again, I was mostly joking in suggesting 762 actually do that.

I also said he could just email someone from the original production staff. That was meant to be my serious suggestion.
Again, sorry for the confusion. Please let me know whether or not this clears up my original post, or whether the whole thing was an incoherent mess beyond redemption. (I'd like to hope it was just an issue of my using an obscure term, but if I really wasn't making any sense that kind of terrifies me. Please do let me know. English majors aren't supposed to be incomprehensible until they get to grad school.)

Also, I have no idea who Roysworld is. The guy who originally hid the Ammo Box, I think.
I Keep trying to say his name out loud, and my only other guess is that he's Rysworld's Australian doppleganger.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:21:42 pm by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 10:11:08 pm »
Ah! Okay.

Thanks for that! :)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 04:06:55 am »
The Wittenham clumps? Are you kidding?

I lived right by those! I've been up and down them a ton of times. Gooood times.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:10:46 am »
The land from which you hail sounds like a magical place, Sam.

Offline Nups

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 12:57:21 am »
https://rapidshare.com/files/1574659668/BITBOT.zip

Cheese! :)
Uploaded it just for you guys! Pass on the link and let the new generation learn from it too!

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 03:09:26 am »
REJOICE

Finally I can learn math

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 07:17:29 am »
Make copies. Make torrents. Let it live on!

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 07:29:13 am »
I gotta say, I love how the PC Games section keeps getting these random helpful strangers that are knowledgable regarding abandonware.
They are some of my favorite kinds of people.
Edit: also, someone should probably get in contact with 762 and let him know.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:42:28 am by sgore »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 10:26:56 am »
He is now informed.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 10:39:08 am »
Wow thanks a lot guys! I'd completely forgotten that I asked for it. It amazes me how tight this community still is. Even after five years people still tried to find it, and it eventually turned up! Sorry about not coming by as much lately (and by that I mean not at all) but I've slowly lost interest in video game news and picked up a lot of extra projects, along with being a full time student. Anyway, thanks a lot for finding this! I can't imagine that any other online community would put forth the effort for someone who hasn't shown up in a few years. :-*

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 01:26:53 pm »
*hug*

Don't worry! We're pretty much a social club now. Video games are the hobby they are supposed to be. :D

Offline brushpicks11

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 08:11:04 pm »
https://rapidshare.com/files/1574659668/BITBOT.zip

Cheese! :)
Uploaded it just for you guys! Pass on the link and let the new generation learn from it too!

Hey man this game seems to have disappeared and you are the only one on the internet who posted a link. Unfortunately that link is down do you still have the zip/can you please reupload? It would be very much appreciated

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 10:23:09 pm »
 :o

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 10:39:49 pm »
Interesting.

Did anyone download it?

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 04:06:43 am »
I did! At least, I assume it is, since it's got the same name. I forgot why I downloaded it though.
Download is HERE.