Author Topic: Anti-Hero  (Read 11520 times)

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
Anti-Hero
« on: November 21, 2006, 12:13:48 pm »
Recently, I have been sick of reading the "Great White Hero Saves the World with Great Glory and Hubub and Proves that Good is indeed Good and Bad is Indeed Bad" stories, and so have been thinking of all the great Anti hero Stories I have read, and realized that I haven't read that many.

I have enjoyed Elric and his sword Stormbringer, though I felt they were a bit simple, they were still good reading nevertheless. Apparently they were famous enough that some music band, I don't know their names (Blue Clams?) made a song named Stormbringer.

My favorite Anti Hero is Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, as his stories by Stephen R. Donaldson are very good from my subjective perspective.

The story that lead me to create this thread was a duology by Jacqueline Carey called "the Sundering", and is a story that mimics the LOTR stories (In that there is a Gandalf figure, a Frodo (bearer) figure, and various other counter parts), but is told as a tragedy, from the POV of the "dark" side.

If you have any recommendations of other anti hero stories, please share them.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 12:17:57 pm by Mr. Wizard »

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Hero
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 02:35:17 pm »
I have enjoyed Elric and his sword Stormbringer, though I felt they were a bit simple, they were still good reading nevertheless. Apparently they were famous enough that some music band, I don't know their names (Blue Clams?) made a song named Stormbringer.
Michael Moorcock  Blue Öyster Cult

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 09:46:10 pm »
George RR Martin's Songs of Ice and Fire series:

There's the good guys that you start off expecting to win for what is good, right and proper but noone is sacred in this series. Anyone can be taken out with a stray arrow and when the dark forces are ammassing around the good king's city, no army will come unlooked for to save the day, everyone will be slaughtered If someone is standing over someone with a noose or a sword it's a pretty sure thing that person is going to be hung or stabbed. Before long you've seen all the bad guy's perspective and marveled at their cunning and you find you're glad the 'good guys' are losing. It's quite an involved read and the series isn't finished yet but it is by far my favourite series and I've never heard of anyone reading it and disliking it.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 06:49:07 am »
I can't leave this thread without recommending:
A Clockwork Orange
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 05:30:07 pm »

I think it was deep purple..What was that one part from the song.. "Gotta get ready. Stormbringer's coming. You got nothing you need. He's gonna make you bleed." and the some part they said "stormbringer's coming. Time to die!"

Offline Dragon_Reborn

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
    • AxI Studios
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 07:12:41 pm »
Well, one of the only good Star Wars books I read was about Darth Maul, it didn't have him as the main character but right at the end *spolier* after the main character has survived everything, all his friends are dead and hes the only survivor, Darth Maul walks into the Hospital and kills him.... You really never see it coming *end spolier*

Also a good seiries is the Wheel of Time, the main hero starts out as the good guy but I am at the 11th book in it and he has definetly done some things wrong in his time.
Luke Smith of 1up Yours: "The road the Fanatsy land is paved in virgin's blood."

JOIN AXISTUDIO'S FORUMS!

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 11:23:34 pm »
Also a good seiries is the Wheel of Time, the main hero starts out as the good guy but I am at the 11th book in it and he has definetly done some things wrong in his time.

I have to disagree with the good series part...The first 4 books or so of the wheel of time series is pretty darn good. After that, things they used to do in one chaper start taking whole books and nothing much happens. Robert Jordan also has a nasty habit of proclaiming a prophecy and then the characters go out of their way to fullfill that prophecy simply because the prophecy was made.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 02:38:24 pm »
Yeah, i read the first few (7) books, and then..it just slowed down AMAZINGLY. There musta been a whole book on them trying to get something out of a city...

i can't remember now, it was a few years ago.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 10:55:33 am »
Yeah, i read the first few (7) books, and then..it just slowed down AMAZINGLY. There musta been a whole book on them trying to get something out of a city...

i can't remember now, it was a few years ago.
The Rahad in Ebou Dar? That irritated me.

Oh look, Mats having sex with Queen someone. It's saucy (for Jordan), but really, who cares?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »
Yeah. It was that extremely anti-male city..

Jordan is apparently a femi-fascist, or truly believes that men are brash and headstrong and cruel, whereas only women are "real" human beings with a kind soul..

Offline Snake Plissken

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Resident Evil 5 coming in March 13, '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 01:54:50 pm »
Would you consider Spawn as an anti hero? ???

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »
Hmm, I know a few names.

Punisher from Marvel.

Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel are definetly Anti-Heros.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 02:23:43 pm »
I love the stories where the "good guys" are not always who you think.

One of the webcomics I read that illustrates this is Goblins, which tells the story of a dnd campaign from the view of the goblins.  Ever find yourself in an RPG or an RTS wiping out goblin cities or dark castles with no provocation from their part?
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 07:20:27 pm »
Hmm, I know a few names.

Punisher from Marvel.

Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel are definetly Anti-Heros.

I've only seen the Punisher movie, but isn't he a good guy getting revenge on the bad guys?
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 08:29:52 am »
I mean the comic punisher. That version blew a whole building full of people to get a bad guy dead.