Author Topic: 360 owners offer me aid!  (Read 13759 times)

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
360 owners offer me aid!
« on: November 19, 2006, 10:44:20 pm »
If someone does not get me a 360 for christmas ill buy it myself..i want opinions from you guys on some games..But i do not want lists..every now and then ill find one that intrests me come here and ask about it..so this topic may fade for weeks then ill revive it

First off im VERY intrested in oblivion..i never liked any first person games outside shooters..this looks fun howver..I Nearly bought morrowind for the openess and classis etc but i heard the combat was shallow and changed my mind

Tell me about it in detail once you guys begin ill start throwing out some quiestions

EDIT: VERY IMPORTANT...is it even worth getting a 360 if i do not have and cannot afford a HD TV?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 10:51:50 pm by Urb »

Big Bang Theory: In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. Into something...yeah that makes sense :/

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: 360 owners offer me aid!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 11:03:25 pm »
I have played about 150+ hours on four different avatars. It's veary open ended, you get a ton of choices on how you want to paly the game and it's great fun. I like the combat, in it. You have to decide when to attack and when to block, run away a little bit so you can heal, there's a lot more too it then it apears. If the combat is too easy or hard you can change the difficulty any time you want. This is a great game and you can't go wrong with it. Also some of the extra content is nice.

Here's an exapmle on how good the game is: I had put about 100 hours into the game when i finally got tired of it. Time passed. I stopped buying any new games so i can save up for Gears and a Wii. I decied to play Oblivion again because I knew it would keep me busy. I put another 50 hours into the game and I still want to start over and try to make a pure mage, but that will have to wait untill the next time there is a slump in new games. Get the game you'll be doing yourself a favor.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 11:29:21 pm »
I have played about 150+ hours on four different avatars. It's veary open ended, you get a ton of choices on how you want to paly the game and it's great fun. I like the combat, in it. You have to decide when to attack and when to block, run away a little bit so you can heal, there's a lot more too it then it apears. If the combat is too easy or hard you can change the difficulty any time you want. This is a great game and you can't go wrong with it. Also some of the extra content is nice.

Here's an exapmle on how good the game is: I had put about 100 hours into the game when i finally got tired of it. Time passed. I stopped buying any new games so i can save up for Gears and a Wii. I decied to play Oblivion again because I knew it would keep me busy. I put another 50 hours into the game and I still want to start over and try to make a pure mage, but that will have to wait untill the next time there is a slump in new games. Get the game you'll be doing yourself a favor.

Ive been watching some videos..is there any strategy to the combat? or is it just mash the attack button? I know you mentione blocking and what not too but still

EDIT: Also noticed in the videos lack of any cross bows or spears..are they in?

EDIT AGAIN: Can you get NPC partners? I mean ones you can take everywhere and everywhere not just in one or two quests..i like the company..dunno why but i always have in games
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 11:47:38 pm by Urb »
Big Bang Theory: In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. Into something...yeah that makes sense :/

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 12:42:24 am »
Oblivion has stamina. This means if you just stand there and mash the attack button you're likely to run out of stamina and you'll be standing there doing weak pointless hits and not gaining any stamina back. There's also ranged attacks n stuff so there's a fair bit of dodging and whatnot. Blocking's in there too but if you carry potions and scrolls you'll be juggling your ranged spells with your stamina potions, shields, and whatever else you determine is necessary.

No spears and no cross bows. If you're on PC there's mods for that but not in the 360 version.

You can certainly have mercenaries and followers, particularly if you're the head of an organisation. For example, I'm the arch mage so I can ask anyone at the mage's guild to follow me and they will untill they die or I tell them to stop. Same for the thieves guild and a bunch others.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 10:54:06 pm »
Oblivion has stamina. This means if you just stand there and mash the attack button you're likely to run out of stamina and you'll be standing there doing weak pointless hits and not gaining any stamina back. There's also ranged attacks n stuff so there's a fair bit of dodging and whatnot. Blocking's in there too but if you carry potions and scrolls you'll be juggling your ranged spells with your stamina potions, shields, and whatever else you determine is necessary.

No spears and no cross bows. If you're on PC there's mods for that but not in the 360 version.

You can certainly have mercenaries and followers, particularly if you're the head of an organisation. For example, I'm the arch mage so I can ask anyone at the mage's guild to follow me and they will untill they die or I tell them to stop. Same for the thieves guild and a bunch others.

This is sounding more and more appealing to me :D Though lack of bows bug me :(

Is thier a good selection of weapons then?

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:34:14 pm »

You mean cross bows, right? Regular ones are in the game.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 11:42:21 pm »

You mean cross bows, right? Regular ones are in the game.

lol i did say cross bows huh? sorry about that i did mean bows not cross bows :D

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 02:18:16 am »
Archery is cool as like your back up attack even if you dont have it as a major skill My morrowind character has it has the main weapon it kicks arse.

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 08:49:33 am »
knights of the nine is out for 360 today.  ;D

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 10:05:19 am »
Knights of nine??  Never heard of it..ill take a gander at some vids

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 01:49:38 pm »
Sure, Oblivion is a great game, no doubt I love it, but there are some cons too. First and foremost, character development is nil to none; even though the game boasts 1000+ "unique" NPCs, they're pretty much all the same except for some of the ones attatched to bigger quests. Also, the game boasts hundreds of "unique" dungeons scattered across the huge realm of Cyrodil, however they all start to blend together if you explore too long. Dungeons branch off into four groups; caves, elven ruins, mines, and forts. It's really just if you've seen one then you've seen 'em all. As for weapons; For melee, there are broadswords, swords, short swords, daggers, battleaxes, small axes, maces, and giant hammers. It sure sounds like a lot, but after playing for a while, they as well start to blend together. Daggers and short swords are swung faster, so they are ideal for thieves and the like, while broadswords and hammers are heavy and designed for the warrior. Other than that, there are no discernible differences between the weapons other than aesthetics. But I have to admit that I have never seen archery implemented better than in this game, as it is very realistic and fun to use. Then there is magic. Destruction magic (big fireballs and lightning bolts) and Restoration magic are very handy in this game, and a character designed around these two attributes can succeed just as well as a warrior. Conjuration is pretty handy. Alchemy is great as you can design a wide number of potions that help you or poison your enemies, with ingrediants found all across the world. However, some of the sneakier magics like illusion (invisibility, mind control, enraging your enemies so that they attack your opponents) are extremley short changed IMO, and feel tacked on and ignored by the devs. I'm not a big fan of the crime system either, as one time I lured a guard out into the wilderness to murder him and take his armor, and somehow a guard halfway across the world knew about it... And as I said, character development was ignored, which also meant that most of the different plot lines found across the game aren't that great.

Anyways, those are just some of my complaints. It is a great game, and I played it for about 150 hours despite all this. I'll probably pick it up again soon.

Oh yeah, GoW is a must have, and Kameo is worth a rent. Check out Viva Pinata too.

Offline God

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Come chat with me!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 01:57:25 pm »
Don't forget, if you choose Illusion as a main skill, it is actually possible to create a non combat mage. You will still have to kill in the main quest, but the emergent portion of the game is very accepting of a non combat character.
Please, lets not bring religion into this...
yayyyaaa yaayaaaa yaayaaaa yaayyayy yyayyyyy yayyayay yaayaaaa yaayyyay

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 02:00:42 pm »
An illusion mage makes a great sneak thief, you learn chamelean spells that make you mostly invisible. You forgot alteration, hizzah. That's really useful for a sneak theif too because you can learn spells to unlock chests and doors without bothering to build up your security skills.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 02:24:37 pm »
An illusion mage makes a great sneak thief, you learn chamelean spells that make you mostly invisible. You forgot alteration, hizzah. That's really useful for a sneak theif too because you can learn spells to unlock chests and doors without bothering to build up your security skills.

Sorry, I was rushed. Yeah chameleon is nice, but my main problems with illusion were the spells like 'enrage' or 'calm'. All of these spells sound really interesting.
Imagine your a theif, sneaking thru a dungeon and happen to spy two goblins walking around a small fire. Instead of openly engaging them with the sword or an arrow, you cast an enrage spell, forcing brother against goblin brorther. As the victor cries out, you emerge from the shadows, an arrow notched in your bow and a glint in your eyes, ready to crush your weakened foe.
This was what I was hoping I could do when I read previews and such. Instead, you can only affect foes up to level 30 (I believe that's the level). And I never seemed to be at a high enough level to use one of these spells on an enemy when the oppurtunity did arise, as he or she or it was always two or three levels too high.

Anyways, with regards to playing a non-violent character: What's the point? Oblivion is a game based solely around its combat. Any aspect of playing a non-combat character are, sadly, not in Oblivion. Admit it, speechcraft sucks. You don't need it as a major skill. There's not enough plot or NPC character interaction, usually the kind of non-violent fun present in games such as these, to make it worth doing. Simply put, Oblivion is not an RPG in that respect.

But I don't want to stray too far off topic by making this an OB discussion thread...just makin' some points.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 02:47:54 pm by Hizzah »

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 03:59:01 pm »
I'm pretty sure thats what spell making is for you make the spell you want more powerful and then can use it to much more easily cast on enemies.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 05:20:43 pm »
Well, see, you can't make these powerful spells you speak of.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 05:25:14 pm »
Sub just buy the game :P
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 06:46:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure u can make spells once u get into the university.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 06:47:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure u can make spells once u get into the university.

You can. its so fun! :D
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 06:59:50 pm »
Can't you just increase the level of the spell as high as you like?

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 07:06:48 pm »

What do you mean? As far as I know, as long as you have a spell like the one you want to create(you need a lightning spell to create new lightning spells) you can make whatever you want as long as you have enough money and mp.
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 07:49:55 pm »

What do you mean? As far as I know, as long as you have a spell like the one you want to create(you need a lightning spell to create new lightning spells) you can make whatever you want as long as you have enough money and mp.

Yes, this is correct. The only problem then is that the duration and strength determines how much mana and experience it needs so you might end up with a spell thats too powerful for you. You could also enchant an item to have these effects.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 08:08:12 pm »
If you grind that ability you can get it pretty high so you can get what you need. Then just enchant items to that boost you mana points and buff the skill the magic type is assciated with as well.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 05:25:18 am »
I'm sorry, but what I meant were that certain illusion spells can't be created to effect a level higher than say 30. That's all. Anyways, probably should just get the game.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 10:09:12 pm »
Well i lost my internet for awhile but i am now back..and urgently need a reply..

I very well might be getting my 360 tomrrow..if not then next week..been look at oblvion info and vids.. am psyched

But now i am beginning to wonder if i should even get it at all...

Do games look crappy on standard def tvs?..cannot afford HD

I also heard oblivion will not run correctly on some tvs..dunno anything about this stuff..lil help please :(

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 10:10:49 pm »
Oblivion has run very well on my crappy SD TV.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2007, 10:16:11 pm »
Oblivion has run very well on my crappy SD TV.

What i heard was a tv has to be 60mhz or something like that (the hell if i know..*trys to find source of that info*)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 10:17:13 pm »
I need to get into Arcane...

And yeah 360 games look fine on standard-definition TV's. As long as your TV is pretty decent, is should look fine.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 10:26:50 pm »
I need to get into Arcane...

And yeah 360 games look fine on standard-definition TV's. As long as your TV is pretty decent, is should look fine.

Thats great news..its not like my tv is some old timer televison.I should be fine then

back on topic i heard enough about oblvion thats the first game on my list

Only thing that bothers me..is i do not see many games that intrest me yet..i hope that changes as i am now rooting against the other consoles (because im not rich and cant afford more then 1 right now)

However theses current and upcoming games all intrest me

Oblvion duh

Gears of war for the co-op and online

viva pinata no idea why...

Saints row

lost planet (seen a video of this in wal-mart..it was then that i wanted a 360)

Some others but i cannot rember

OH nearly forgot..is it difficult to transfer a current xbox live  subscription over to the 360?

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 10:29:19 pm »
Oblivion is great.
Viva Pinata is like CRACK in a videogame.
Gears of War is great.
I didn't like Saint's Row much.
Lost Planet looks cool.

I also recommend Dead Rising. 'sawesome.

You can ask 762 about the subscription thing.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 11:10:21 pm »
Oblivion, Viva Pinata, and Gears' are all great choices (I didn't care much for 'Gears, but a lot of people did).

I'd say don't get Saints Row and wait for Grand Theft Auto IV in October instead.

Mass Effect, Bioshock, Forza 2, and Assassin's Creed are all great games coming this year.

And also, look at some of the bargain deals. There are some pretty good (from what I've heard) early 360 games that are being offered at a pretty good price. I know that a couple of days ago GameStop had a used copy of Condemned on sale for $18 (online).

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 11:30:30 pm »
Oblivion, Viva Pinata, and Gears' are all great choices (I didn't care much for 'Gears, but a lot of people did).

I'd say don't get Saints Row and wait for Grand Theft Auto IV in October instead.

Mass Effect, Bioshock, Forza 2, and Assassin's Creed are all great games coming this year.

And also, look at some of the bargain deals. There are some pretty good (from what I've heard) early 360 games that are being offered at a pretty good price. I know that a couple of days ago GameStop had a used copy of Condemned on sale for $18 (online).

Im not much into GTA but the others intrest me particurly assassins creed

eck..i need to ask 762 about xbox live...but i cant send messages yet...(thinks of posts to raise post count to fifty)

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 12:25:03 am »
Besides the size of the world you can explore and having less vehicles, I'd say Saints Row was a far better game than GTA.  The story and characters were a lot more interesting, even if they were a little cliché at times and the gameplay itself was just a lot simpler and more enjoyable.  They got the fighting and targeting system perfect, while GTA is still struggling with it's lock on system.  While there's not as many vehicles, there's a much better variation and all of them are modelled after real cars.  Having something that quite clearly looks like an Enzo is a lot more fun than just driving another generic sports car.

The missions themselves were a lot more fun too, and never became frustrating like the later levels of GTA, and even though the game ended in a cliff hanger, it didn't just seem like a cheap attempt to set up for a sequel, it was very shocking and raises a lot of questions about what was actually going on in the game.  Things weren't quite as simple as they may have seen.   ;)

Even for being a clone, a bigger and better version of Saints Row could easily dethrown te GTA series.  Either way, it'll be interesting to see just how many elements GTA IV takes from Saints Row after so many people just labeled Saints Row as a clone.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 01:30:33 am »
Oblivion and what will most likely most games in the future will only run in PAL 60. If you live in North America then you have NTSC and you don't need to worry as PAL 60 is NTSC. PAL 50 from what I understand was less lines on screen but shows more frames a second than PAL 60. Anyway most TV's in PAL regions are compatible with PAL 60.

As for transfering it shouldn't be hard I'm pretty sure you can do it over the phone. My friend transfered his just make sure you got all details and I think you also have to make sure you have the credit card your live account is associated with on hand I think that caught my friend up as it was his dads card and his dad wasn't home when he 1st tried.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 12:55:53 pm »
Oblivion and what will most likely most games in the future will only run in PAL 60. If you live in North America then you have NTSC and you don't need to worry as PAL 60 is NTSC. PAL 50 from what I understand was less lines on screen but shows more frames a second than PAL 60. Anyway most TV's in PAL regions are compatible with PAL 60.

As for transfering it shouldn't be hard I'm pretty sure you can do it over the phone. My friend transfered his just make sure you got all details and I think you also have to make sure you have the credit card your live account is associated with on hand I think that caught my friend up as it was his dads card and his dad wasn't home when he 1st tried.

That would make sense. i read the tv thing from a post on gamefaqs it just sorta worried me

Anyways i went to gamestop today and found out they do not have any used 360s with a harddrive (DAMN) so..if i want a hard drive with it..gotta get it new at 399$ ......crap..i can afford that next week but is the harddrive even worth it??

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 01:30:39 pm »
yes get a hard drive or you can't download some of the demos. Plus you will still have to put down $40 dollars for a memory card, that doesn't even hold a gig of memory so you might as well put down the other $60 for the hard drive.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 01:40:52 pm »
yes get a hard drive or you can't download some of the demos. Plus you will still have to put down $40 dollars for a memory card, that doesn't even hold a gig of memory so you might as well put down the other $60 for the hard drive.

So with the harddrive i can save on it like the first xbox? So i wouldent need a memory card?

Well...guess ill wait till next friday and get the brand spankin new 360 ...i can feel my wallet getting lighter already...

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 01:55:03 pm »
Back to Oblivion

I have been reading on the games offical forum that you cannot actually get any NPCs to follow and fight with you excludeing a few main or side quests :( :( :(

Just to confirm you can actually hire mercs, take guild members, and summon allys right? (wait..i thought i saw a horse help fight too!)

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2007, 03:26:20 pm »
Back to Oblivion

I have been reading on the games offical forum that you cannot actually get any NPCs to follow and fight with you excludeing a few main or side quests :( :( :(

Just to confirm you can actually hire mercs, take guild members, and summon allys right? (wait..i thought i saw a horse help fight too!)

There are no mercs. I believe when you finish some of the guild quest-lines you can take fellow adventuring with you(I could be wrong on this one). you can summon creatures. Your horse will attack if attacked, but will not come to your aid other wise. Other then summoning creatures most NPCs just get in your way and aren't needed.

The hard drive works just like it did on the first xbox but it's removable.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2007, 04:42:36 pm »
Some missions have people following you around they serve to get in the way of your attacks really but don't worry about that. using you conjuration skill you can summon demons to fight along side you for a while. I'm not sure if wood elves still have beast tounge which is an ability that allows you to turn wild animals into allies for a while.

Also when you become guild leader you can get lower level people in the guild to help you but like I said it isn't worth it by that tim you are a powerhouse even with the game leveling it's self up you should be decked out with enough equipment to make eveything really easy and allies just get in your way.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2007, 06:06:02 pm »
Some missions have people following you around they serve to get in the way of your attacks really but don't worry about that. using you conjuration skill you can summon demons to fight along side you for a while. I'm not sure if wood elves still have beast tounge which is an ability that allows you to turn wild animals into allies for a while.

Also when you become guild leader you can get lower level people in the guild to help you but like I said it isn't worth it by that tim you are a powerhouse even with the game leveling it's self up you should be decked out with enough equipment to make eveything really easy and allies just get in your way.

Regardless i like the company..and people said the same about some other games..i always manage to make use of the NPCs none the less...i had my ass saved enough times in games to just not worry about it  lol

Mind you i played Morrowwind..not for long though..i could not stand the combat..based on my stats dictated whether a blow landed or not. even if it was dead on????  Thats appears to be fixed and the combat looks like a great deal of fun (ive watched at least 50 videos now..) had the combat been good morrowind would have likely been my favorite game so far

Yeah the little time i played morrowind i was a wood elf for beast tongue..only affected monsters level 5 and under though

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 07:31:25 pm »
Oblivion does have spells like command animal, dominate humanoid, and turn undead if that's what your looking for.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2007, 07:53:24 pm »
Yeah i should have made the point that u can have other more powerful spells for further in the game to also have others become allis for you. Anyway my oblvion character has Conjuartion if you want others to fight with you take that skill. You wont need it againt enemies all the time but sometimes it can turn the tide just to be able to outnumber an oponent or at least prevent you from being overwhelmed sometimes. Best thing is summened creatures even if you stuff it up and they turn on you you can kill them get the XP for fighting them and then recast and get a new one.

Although onc again in the heat of battle you might find you will just cast when charging in and once you lose what ever you brought in you don't really have the opertunity to bring them back if you lose them. and there is little point walking throught the game constantly summoning for starters town guards don't like it when yu have a summoned Skelaton warrior in town.

Still when you are in a cave and you get attacked by a bandit or anyhting else a summon spell can be a great help.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2007, 10:39:48 am »
Hey! i found this  in the text thing beside a video on youtube

(So i caved after hearing Gaming Steves Podcast. He claimed anyone with a 360 who abstained from oblivion wasn't a true gamer. )

whitch podcast? and how do i listen?

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2007, 01:33:23 pm »
Probably Episode 40 and Episode 41, that's where he previews the game. He does it in two parts; Part 1 is just the starting dungeon, and Part 2 is about his time outside of the dungeon. (don't worry Steve dosen't give away any spoilers).

For future reference you can find all of Steve's podcasts here: http://www.gamingsteve.com/archives/podcast/index.php
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2007, 11:39:25 am »
Oh sod it! learned something new about the 360 that burns me..The market place points..most of the original xboxs downloadable content was free...now i have to transfer money to points to buy extra content. What a load of bull!

But of course..ill do it because i wont be getting all i can out of my games unless i do

HOWEVER i will tell microsoft to stick the 360 where the sun don't shine if they go through with this from the offical site

What Else Can I Get With Points?
Points can get you more than just maps and other multiplayer-focused features. For example, odds are very good that some role-playing games will offer individual pieces of equipment, weapons, and other goodies that you can redeem Points for in the Xbox Live Marketplace, even though it may be an offline, single-player game

Are you kidding me do gamers not spend enough money on your Consoles, Games, Live, That we might have to pay for in games items like armor!?!?!?

Im sorry but im not some super rich guy. Im a 18 year old with a crappy job trying to move up the corprate ladder to make money to pay for you know..bills, food, cloths, the things you need to live!..college, car insurance!...>_<

Okay im done ranting :D

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2007, 11:28:07 pm »
There is still some free stuff on live. Although most ad extras for games will cost money. Things like patches will be free so thats cool. Still game trailers and stuff can be free although they can't be added to games or anything still it's something.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2007, 01:06:12 am »
I don't see the problem with downloadable content.  You pay the developers so they can make some extra little things you can download for the game.  If you don't want it, you're not missing out on anything.

Of course, there's things like Oblivions horse armour that was clearly held back from development so they could release it later, I am completely against that sort of thing, and unfortunately, it's going to keep happening.  But there's still plenty of other great content out there you can buy, all the other content for Oblivion for example, Knights of the Nine, the Wizards Tower, etc, are all great little additions and don't cost very much.

If the developers get money for continuing to work on the game, it means they can continue to release things like this to extend the replay value of our games.  The content for Morrowind was completely free, but they never released anything particulary fantastic, and they stopped releasing anything alltogether after just a few months.  Oblivion has already seen more content than Morrowind ever did.

But again, if you don't want it, you don't need it, they're only extras.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2007, 02:02:10 am »
Horse armor was just a test to see what people felt was right. It showed people wanted a bit more for there money so the next few items were more than just some armor.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2007, 10:24:12 am »
Thats not how i see it. I see it as just another way to suck money out of people

BUT there is one thing that might change my mind..How many points do you get for 10 US dollers (as an example) and whats the average cost of some features in oblivion?

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2007, 01:48:50 pm »
$10 USD =  800 points. If memory serves me right most stuff is around 100-150 points, some of the bigger missions are more.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2007, 08:24:38 pm »
It's not nessicary to buy the extra's I havent bought the extras although keep in mind I dont have my 360 online although even if I did I may not get the Oblivion extras. I'll take along time before I finish with the basics of the game. Also the horse armor wasn't just a test for Bethesda it was a test for game developers everywhere it was the 1st of micro transactions online with consoles the gaming world all stood up to find out how it would go and it showed people wanted far more for the price that was offered.

I'm waiting on Guitar Hero 2 for 360 because I'm sure Digital distribution will play a big part with new songs if there are some good tracks put up or at least some tracjs fromt he 1st game seeing I dont have it I may look into getting my 360 online to pick them up.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2007, 08:31:28 pm »
$10 USD =  800 points. If memory serves me right most stuff is around 100-150 points, some of the bigger missions are more.

Thats not TO bad i guess..might toss an extra 25$ in for points now and then..since knights of nine is an actuall expansion how is it?

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2007, 09:51:20 pm »
Oh it would be a waste to get dead rising if you have to read anything...i guess without an HDTV the subtitles are so small they are unreadable

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2007, 10:03:44 pm »
Oh it would be a waste to get dead rising if you have to read anything...i guess without an HDTV the subtitles are so small they are unreadable

It's a step above unreadable. But yeah, HD would is amazingly better.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2007, 10:13:36 pm »
There was the same problem in the Lost Planet demo's, but Capcom fixed it for the final game.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2007, 10:15:22 pm »
Guess my perfect vision will pay off :/

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2007, 08:29:55 pm »
4 more days T_T..might not seem long cept ive been waiting ages

Sadly i wont be able to actully buy a game with it..or a second controller..ill have to rent at my local family video..oblivion better be there or a rampage will ensure >:)

Oh that reminds me..Me and my woman love co-op games. What co-op 360 games are currently out or coming out this year?

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2007, 08:39:03 pm »
it's Multiplatform bu Marvel Ultimate Alliance is Co-op, Perfect Dark Zero is also Co-op. Halo 3 is ment to be out 2007 i understand which is also Co-op. I'm sure there are others.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2007, 10:38:33 pm »
WHOA i was checking out  oblivions offical site for its downloadable content..its actully quite cool i just hate to dish out extra money :(

I have my eye on knights of nine, magic tomes, and wizards tower

Nether magic tomes or wizards tower cost much at all...

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2007, 03:23:56 am »

Sadly i wont be able to actully buy a game with it..or a second controller..ill have to rent at my local family video..oblivion better be there or a rampage will ensure >:)

Oh that reminds me..Me and my woman love co-op games. What co-op 360 games are currently out or coming out this year?

Gears is Co-op, I thought Rainbow Six Vegas was but I could be wrong, Crackdown has co-op but i'm pretty sure that's for online only, and I'm sure that doesn't help you...
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2007, 09:54:58 am »

Gears is Co-op, I thought Rainbow Six Vegas was but I could be wrong, Crackdown has co-op but i'm pretty sure that's for online only, and I'm sure that doesn't help you...

Well im glad to see thiers few already. Honestly though that crackdown looks like complete garbage >_> IMO

Army of two looks awesome though

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2007, 11:07:28 pm »
This may sound silly but i cant actually find my answer....i just found out about the controllers and headsets being wireless..so what kind of batteries do i need? like AA or AAA?

EDIT: WHOA this might be hopeful thinking but i saw the HD cable thingy..and rembered something my parents bought me this tv for my birthday..its quite new..but! on the front are a yellow and white video port..brand new tv but if i plug my first xbox cords in it..it wont work at all..nothing zip..

I have to plug my xboxs cord into a dvd player and the dvd player into the back of my tv..could this mean those ports in the front are for HD cables

I realize i may of just made myself look stupid..but i know nothing about HD or that stuff

EDIT: Found out for myself. Feel like an idiot >_<
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:22:12 pm by Urb »

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2007, 05:48:43 am »
Well if you still need info about batteries the controller takes two AA, and the headset just plugs info the controller. I highly recommend getting a battery pack (about $9.99 USD) and the little charger stand thing, it can charge two batteries at once and comes with a battery pack (about $29.99 USD). I don't recommend the charge and play kit ($19.99 USD) messing with the cord is annoying and because it has to be plugged into the 360 to be charged, even if the 360 is off you can still here the fans going when it's charging. It's not that big of deal but being completely wireless is so much nicer.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2007, 11:32:03 am »
Well if you still need info about batteries the controller takes two AA, and the headset just plugs info the controller. I highly recommend getting a battery pack (about $9.99 USD) and the little charger stand thing, it can charge two batteries at once and comes with a battery pack (about $29.99 USD). I don't recommend the charge and play kit ($19.99 USD) messing with the cord is annoying and because it has to be plugged into the 360 to be charged, even if the 360 is off you can still here the fans going when it's charging. It's not that big of deal but being completely wireless is so much nicer.

I wont have the money for that this week but ill get it when i do

Because personally i would rather have a wired controller come with it so i did not have to buy a huge pack of battries every week but ill get the charger

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2007, 01:18:33 pm »
Okay im looking for picture comparisions of HD to Standard Def and i am having trouble finding them myself. I would be grateful if you guys could lend me a hand or two >_> 6 if your hindu <_<

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2007, 02:34:44 pm »
I currently have a decent cache of AA batteries but when they run out I'm buying more recharable ones if you dont have a recharger it's worth investing in really if you had a game boy back in the day you really couldn't live with out a recharger.

Anyway get a recharger abd a handful of rechargeable batteries. rechargeable batteries will cost slightly more but the fact is you can get alot of charges out of them even if they dont last as long as stanard ones in a wireless controller they still last a while and if you put charged ones in then take the flat ones out and stick them in the charger you will find you will never be with out batteries.

Don't bother with the offcial xbox 360 batterypack and charger thing those can be used in any thing that requires AA's my MP3 player the Wii-mote if you still run around with a Discman (Although Discman drain rechargables like you won't believe but anyway).

Moral of the story get some rechargeable AA batteries and a charger it is so worth it.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2007, 03:19:46 pm »
Im on the fence now ive heard from alot of sources its not even worth getting a 360 unless you have an HDTV. I dunno about you guys but 400$ is alot of money to me i do not feel like flushing it down a toliet

Aside from it not looking good ive also heard this about standard def

Lost Planet looks really bad

Cant read text on dead rising

Cant read text on viva piniata

Hard time getting headshots on gears of war

Rainbow six vegas looks horrid

Opinions please :(

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2007, 06:12:53 pm »
I started off with standard D when I got my 360, HD does look better, but i never found it a problem where I didn't have fun. The dead rising thing was kinda lame but I still had fun with the game. The lost planet Demo still looked good on SD to me. I wouldn't worry about it really. Once you get a 360 you'll have more reasons to finally upgrade to HD  ;)
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2007, 06:21:22 pm »
You dont need HD I dont have HD on my 360 dead rising it doesn't spoil the game text is only there subtitleing voice so u can hear whats being said anyway. Viva pinata the colors for the text in shops are little hard to read but its not too bad and there is minimal text anyway things like various alerts are still pretty easy to read.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2007, 06:44:43 pm »
I started off with standard D when I got my 360, HD does look better, but i never found it a problem where I didn't have fun. The dead rising thing was kinda lame but I still had fun with the game. The lost planet Demo still looked good on SD to me. I wouldn't worry about it really. Once you get a 360 you'll have more reasons to finally upgrade to HD  ;)

Its just that its taking me ages and ages to be able to afford the 360 (bills and what not eat my checks)
The 360 is 400$. a good HDTV is 800$ and thats low quailty great ones are 2000+
I cant even think about getting HD untill 6 or 8 months from now

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2007, 07:29:55 pm »
I just thought of something..this again might be stupid but if i am right my worries are gone

If i watch  a show like xplay on my standard def tv and they review oblivion on an HDTV. And show footage of it wouldent it still be to my eyes SD since my tv is not HD

What i am saying is my tv cannot produce the higher resoultion or more pixels as an HDTV so even if the footage was from an HDTV would i be viewing it in SD?

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2007, 08:26:35 pm »
lol, yes...you cannot view HD on an SD tv, even if it's a picture of HD it will turn out SD.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2007, 08:33:06 pm »
lol, yes...you cannot view HD on an SD tv, even if it's a picture of HD it will turn out SD.

So basicly what i saw on xplay is what ill get right? if so AWESOME!

That would also explain why Fall of man looked better in EGM then it did on tv..lol

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2007, 09:01:39 pm »
Because...the pictures are in high-def...?

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2007, 09:05:26 pm »
Because...the pictures are in high-def...?

Yeah the screenshots would be of the game running in HD. Then watching the preview on xplay on my SDTV they looked less good. Not graphicly but the lighting and such things

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2007, 02:05:24 am »
You know hd tv's are getting cheaper, A friend of mine said he got a 26'' tv for $600. It's still a lot but if you just want a gaming tv it's not bad.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2007, 02:09:30 am »
I know I have looked into getting a HV tv although right now I got other expenses coming my way right (stupid car needing fixing) Still I can get a half decent one cheapish I might at some point but right now I'll leave with what I got.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2007, 09:49:21 pm »
Back to oblivion!

Im bored and love stat based games so using this site http://oblivion.ufrealms.net/races.php and the short expreince i had in morrowwind to decide what character to make :D

I want your guys opinions on it :)

Im going to have a battlemage type char

Only thing i cannot decide on is race >_<

Sign: The warrior (i thought the added endurance might help)

Major Skills

Block, Blade, Marksman, Conjuration, Alchemy, Illusion, Acrobatics,

I plan to use LightArmor types only..thats the way i am in games...i picture what i would do if it were real life and im a light armor kinda guy :P

What do you guys think?

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2007, 09:51:00 pm »
I think you need to take off either Block or Marksman and add in Destruction.

I always figured battlemages run in and kill you with magic until they run out, then whip out a sword and stab some more people.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2007, 09:59:28 pm »
I think you need to take off either Block or Marksman and add in Destruction.

I always figured battlemages run in and kill you with magic until they run out, then whip out a sword and stab some more people.

When i say battlemage all i mean is someone who fights with both weapons and magic and is about evenly skilled in both

Also any suggestions regarding race?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 10:02:11 pm by Urb »

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2007, 10:57:27 pm »
Also  what the heck is *clearing your cache*???

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2007, 02:57:10 am »
Actully I'd be tempted to say take acrobatics out you can take say Argonian or Wood elf i think they get bonuses for that so you will have half decent skills for that replace it with either security or mercintile. With Conjuration you don't really need Destruction that badly although if you have to take it get rid of Marksmen you don't need both types ranged attacks.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2007, 03:07:55 am »
Also  what the heck is *clearing your cache*???

You hold A while the game is loading up to clear the cache, otherwise it keeps a lot of useless data and eventually gets pretty bogged down and causes the game to crash quite frequently.  I believe the latest patch made the game do this automatically though, but I could be wrong.

And definetely do not take the security skill, once you hit level 10 it's worthless.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2007, 01:56:14 pm »
:( An unexpected bill came up so i cannot get it yet :(

Hopefully wensday..

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2007, 07:44:31 am »
WOOHOO i just got to go get it later and its mine >_> all mine!! <_< *evil laugh*

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2007, 10:32:25 am »
welcome to the club
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2007, 09:59:57 pm »
Yeah welcome here's you bumper sticker for driving in the car pool lane here's your wallet that tells doctors not to rob when when the operate on you and don't bother with 911 anymore now you call 912.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2007, 12:00:39 am »
FINNALY got it and bought oblivion with it..love it but a bit overwhelmed. I cant really decide what to do in oblivion

Migrateing my account was a breeze and i think the whole gamer profile ,rep, and achievements are awesome

I was also pleasently surprised to find that the demos were free. I downloaded dead rising its pretty fun. I can read the text but i have near perfect eyesight

I do not have any online games right now but feel free to add me. UrbanAnger

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2007, 02:28:31 pm »
After starting ovef three time i explored a bit, Quested a bit, leveled up once

I was hiking in the mountains and got attacked by an invisible creature! and it deft was not leveled to my own killed me very quickly!

Ive also found a few rare things..so its not impossible at a low level..just RARE