Author Topic: 360 owners offer me aid!  (Read 13765 times)

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
360 owners offer me aid!
« on: November 19, 2006, 10:44:20 pm »
If someone does not get me a 360 for christmas ill buy it myself..i want opinions from you guys on some games..But i do not want lists..every now and then ill find one that intrests me come here and ask about it..so this topic may fade for weeks then ill revive it

First off im VERY intrested in oblivion..i never liked any first person games outside shooters..this looks fun howver..I Nearly bought morrowind for the openess and classis etc but i heard the combat was shallow and changed my mind

Tell me about it in detail once you guys begin ill start throwing out some quiestions

EDIT: VERY IMPORTANT...is it even worth getting a 360 if i do not have and cannot afford a HD TV?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 10:51:50 pm by Urb »

Big Bang Theory: In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. Into something...yeah that makes sense :/

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: 360 owners offer me aid!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 11:03:25 pm »
I have played about 150+ hours on four different avatars. It's veary open ended, you get a ton of choices on how you want to paly the game and it's great fun. I like the combat, in it. You have to decide when to attack and when to block, run away a little bit so you can heal, there's a lot more too it then it apears. If the combat is too easy or hard you can change the difficulty any time you want. This is a great game and you can't go wrong with it. Also some of the extra content is nice.

Here's an exapmle on how good the game is: I had put about 100 hours into the game when i finally got tired of it. Time passed. I stopped buying any new games so i can save up for Gears and a Wii. I decied to play Oblivion again because I knew it would keep me busy. I put another 50 hours into the game and I still want to start over and try to make a pure mage, but that will have to wait untill the next time there is a slump in new games. Get the game you'll be doing yourself a favor.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 11:29:21 pm »
I have played about 150+ hours on four different avatars. It's veary open ended, you get a ton of choices on how you want to paly the game and it's great fun. I like the combat, in it. You have to decide when to attack and when to block, run away a little bit so you can heal, there's a lot more too it then it apears. If the combat is too easy or hard you can change the difficulty any time you want. This is a great game and you can't go wrong with it. Also some of the extra content is nice.

Here's an exapmle on how good the game is: I had put about 100 hours into the game when i finally got tired of it. Time passed. I stopped buying any new games so i can save up for Gears and a Wii. I decied to play Oblivion again because I knew it would keep me busy. I put another 50 hours into the game and I still want to start over and try to make a pure mage, but that will have to wait untill the next time there is a slump in new games. Get the game you'll be doing yourself a favor.

Ive been watching some videos..is there any strategy to the combat? or is it just mash the attack button? I know you mentione blocking and what not too but still

EDIT: Also noticed in the videos lack of any cross bows or spears..are they in?

EDIT AGAIN: Can you get NPC partners? I mean ones you can take everywhere and everywhere not just in one or two quests..i like the company..dunno why but i always have in games
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 11:47:38 pm by Urb »
Big Bang Theory: In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. Into something...yeah that makes sense :/

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 12:42:24 am »
Oblivion has stamina. This means if you just stand there and mash the attack button you're likely to run out of stamina and you'll be standing there doing weak pointless hits and not gaining any stamina back. There's also ranged attacks n stuff so there's a fair bit of dodging and whatnot. Blocking's in there too but if you carry potions and scrolls you'll be juggling your ranged spells with your stamina potions, shields, and whatever else you determine is necessary.

No spears and no cross bows. If you're on PC there's mods for that but not in the 360 version.

You can certainly have mercenaries and followers, particularly if you're the head of an organisation. For example, I'm the arch mage so I can ask anyone at the mage's guild to follow me and they will untill they die or I tell them to stop. Same for the thieves guild and a bunch others.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 10:54:06 pm »
Oblivion has stamina. This means if you just stand there and mash the attack button you're likely to run out of stamina and you'll be standing there doing weak pointless hits and not gaining any stamina back. There's also ranged attacks n stuff so there's a fair bit of dodging and whatnot. Blocking's in there too but if you carry potions and scrolls you'll be juggling your ranged spells with your stamina potions, shields, and whatever else you determine is necessary.

No spears and no cross bows. If you're on PC there's mods for that but not in the 360 version.

You can certainly have mercenaries and followers, particularly if you're the head of an organisation. For example, I'm the arch mage so I can ask anyone at the mage's guild to follow me and they will untill they die or I tell them to stop. Same for the thieves guild and a bunch others.

This is sounding more and more appealing to me :D Though lack of bows bug me :(

Is thier a good selection of weapons then?

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:34:14 pm »

You mean cross bows, right? Regular ones are in the game.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 11:42:21 pm »

You mean cross bows, right? Regular ones are in the game.

lol i did say cross bows huh? sorry about that i did mean bows not cross bows :D

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 02:18:16 am »
Archery is cool as like your back up attack even if you dont have it as a major skill My morrowind character has it has the main weapon it kicks arse.

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 08:49:33 am »
knights of the nine is out for 360 today.  ;D

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 10:05:19 am »
Knights of nine??  Never heard of it..ill take a gander at some vids

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 01:49:38 pm »
Sure, Oblivion is a great game, no doubt I love it, but there are some cons too. First and foremost, character development is nil to none; even though the game boasts 1000+ "unique" NPCs, they're pretty much all the same except for some of the ones attatched to bigger quests. Also, the game boasts hundreds of "unique" dungeons scattered across the huge realm of Cyrodil, however they all start to blend together if you explore too long. Dungeons branch off into four groups; caves, elven ruins, mines, and forts. It's really just if you've seen one then you've seen 'em all. As for weapons; For melee, there are broadswords, swords, short swords, daggers, battleaxes, small axes, maces, and giant hammers. It sure sounds like a lot, but after playing for a while, they as well start to blend together. Daggers and short swords are swung faster, so they are ideal for thieves and the like, while broadswords and hammers are heavy and designed for the warrior. Other than that, there are no discernible differences between the weapons other than aesthetics. But I have to admit that I have never seen archery implemented better than in this game, as it is very realistic and fun to use. Then there is magic. Destruction magic (big fireballs and lightning bolts) and Restoration magic are very handy in this game, and a character designed around these two attributes can succeed just as well as a warrior. Conjuration is pretty handy. Alchemy is great as you can design a wide number of potions that help you or poison your enemies, with ingrediants found all across the world. However, some of the sneakier magics like illusion (invisibility, mind control, enraging your enemies so that they attack your opponents) are extremley short changed IMO, and feel tacked on and ignored by the devs. I'm not a big fan of the crime system either, as one time I lured a guard out into the wilderness to murder him and take his armor, and somehow a guard halfway across the world knew about it... And as I said, character development was ignored, which also meant that most of the different plot lines found across the game aren't that great.

Anyways, those are just some of my complaints. It is a great game, and I played it for about 150 hours despite all this. I'll probably pick it up again soon.

Oh yeah, GoW is a must have, and Kameo is worth a rent. Check out Viva Pinata too.

Offline God

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Come chat with me!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 01:57:25 pm »
Don't forget, if you choose Illusion as a main skill, it is actually possible to create a non combat mage. You will still have to kill in the main quest, but the emergent portion of the game is very accepting of a non combat character.
Please, lets not bring religion into this...
yayyyaaa yaayaaaa yaayaaaa yaayyayy yyayyyyy yayyayay yaayaaaa yaayyyay

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 02:00:42 pm »
An illusion mage makes a great sneak thief, you learn chamelean spells that make you mostly invisible. You forgot alteration, hizzah. That's really useful for a sneak theif too because you can learn spells to unlock chests and doors without bothering to build up your security skills.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 02:24:37 pm »
An illusion mage makes a great sneak thief, you learn chamelean spells that make you mostly invisible. You forgot alteration, hizzah. That's really useful for a sneak theif too because you can learn spells to unlock chests and doors without bothering to build up your security skills.

Sorry, I was rushed. Yeah chameleon is nice, but my main problems with illusion were the spells like 'enrage' or 'calm'. All of these spells sound really interesting.
Imagine your a theif, sneaking thru a dungeon and happen to spy two goblins walking around a small fire. Instead of openly engaging them with the sword or an arrow, you cast an enrage spell, forcing brother against goblin brorther. As the victor cries out, you emerge from the shadows, an arrow notched in your bow and a glint in your eyes, ready to crush your weakened foe.
This was what I was hoping I could do when I read previews and such. Instead, you can only affect foes up to level 30 (I believe that's the level). And I never seemed to be at a high enough level to use one of these spells on an enemy when the oppurtunity did arise, as he or she or it was always two or three levels too high.

Anyways, with regards to playing a non-violent character: What's the point? Oblivion is a game based solely around its combat. Any aspect of playing a non-combat character are, sadly, not in Oblivion. Admit it, speechcraft sucks. You don't need it as a major skill. There's not enough plot or NPC character interaction, usually the kind of non-violent fun present in games such as these, to make it worth doing. Simply put, Oblivion is not an RPG in that respect.

But I don't want to stray too far off topic by making this an OB discussion thread...just makin' some points.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 02:47:54 pm by Hizzah »

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 03:59:01 pm »
I'm pretty sure thats what spell making is for you make the spell you want more powerful and then can use it to much more easily cast on enemies.