Poll

ab

a
b

Author Topic: The Agnoculus (and other Creatures of Epun)  (Read 25223 times)

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
Re: New Creature: the Agnoculus
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 02:20:47 pm »
Here's some more stuff: (I got to get my poor ikkle creature to the space age, seems like all the fun to be had is over there... ;D)

Tribes and the Formation of Agnoculus Society

The very beginnings of Agnoculus sentiency are believed to have emerged during the tribal age, an age during which families began banding together into small groups, and the first tools were invented and used in these tightly-bound tribes.

One of the main reasons that the Agnoculus began banding together in small tribes was the frailty of their young. As was mentioned before, Agnoculus young are born very weak: their large eye is already fully formed and their thick neck is very heavy for their frail limbs to carry. Here's a picture:

This means that the parents have to be especially careful and protective, always on the watch for predators such as the deadly Morvlox (which I'll post pictures of and stuff later) , a quick and crafty creature of the plains. As the Morvlox and other predators started hunting in bands, the Agnoculus had to quickly develop a better way of defending themselves and their young. Communities soon sprang up, and with the combined strength and intelligence of the many individuals that made up each group, these tribes developped quickly. Some examples of new innovations and developments in the tribal setting include:

* Communication: The Agnoculi needed a way to communicate more efficiently amongst each other if this arrangement was to work, and this is where the clicking and snapping language that the agnoculus still use today originated, although at this point it was still quite primitive and simple.
    * Discoveries and Construction: The discovery of fire was quick to come, and the agnoculus soon began building huts to protect and warm their young during the long and irregular winter seasons. They used a kind of bamboo-reed that grew near the sea to consolidate simple huts made of local plants such as the long Grayweed and strong Bristle-Grass. A hole at the top of the construction let steam and smoke rise out when the fires were built.
    * Transportation: The Agnoculi also started experimenting with all the possible uses of lesser creatures as motors to draw sleds (the wheel had not yet been invented.) such as the strong armored Gravlor (which I'm probably going to describe in the same post I describe the Morvlox in...maeh, lots of stuff to do...), which they promptly started domesticating and breeding for this purpose.
    * Agriculture: Possibly one of the most important discoveries of the early tribal age was the discovery of cultivatable plants. Soon, agriculuture became one of the main sources of food in these tribal settings, as the Agnoculus had never really been effective hunters in their native plains and had mostly been fruit and berry-pickers, occasionally scavenging the meat that they needed. Once again using the Gravlor to plow the fields and sow seeds, growing food became so effective that it stayed the most important factor for Agnoculus growth for several ages to come. Rock vesicles were soon deveolopped for storage of seeds and crops with the help of argilous mud and thid evolved into what would eventually become modern pottery.
    * Other developments: To defend themselves from predators, the Agnoculi started designing weapons, such as the bamboo-spear, which evolved into the most decorative and traditional weapon of the species. Walls and fences were used to fend off smaller, weaker predators. In the long run, though, these developments only helped enhance each tribe's sense of territoriality, and this would all eventually lead to the tribal wars, which I will probably discuss in the next post, not sure yet though.
here is one of the tribal huts I talked about above:

Hope you like it!  ;).
EDIT: Oops forgot to post the pictures.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 02:24:34 pm by aligon »

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 12:47:29 am »
Nice job, I love the hut.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 08:20:08 am »
coool
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 12:36:25 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys!  ;D

MORVLOX
The morvlox is a very quick and feared predator on the plains of Epun. Thanks to its four serated "facial claws", it truly is a carnivore to watch out for!
(I have two images, one coloured normally with coloured pencils, and one that I colored using paint, tell me which you like best...I haven't had time to take a look at GIMP yet, so I'm gona keep drawing and scanning and maybe doing a little paint here and there) (EDIT: I took the big fat picture away, it was kind of annoying me.)

* Classification: In common nomenclature, "Morvlox" stands for "quick bite". This animal is classified in phylum Quadrum of the Agnoculus taxonomic system (because it's a quadruped). It's full scientific name is Quadrum Preda Morsus
    * Size: Adults range from 1 to 1.5 meters long. Facial claws range from 20 to 60 centimers long.
    * Lifespan: Most live only 10 to 15 years, very similar to a terran horse's lifespan.
    * Anatomy:
          o senses:
               1. They see using the characteristic single eye that many creatures use on Epun
               2. The morvlox use two nostrils located inside their mouths and protected by two skin flaps (if it is eating, it dosen't want food getting up its "nose"!) to smell their environment. Their sense of smell is therefore quite keen.
               3. They have no ears, and no true sense of hearing, but they often use their lower two facial claws to sense vibrations along the ground. This is a very useful hunting strategy as they can drag them along the ground to detect burrowing creatures, which they can promptly dig out with these same facial claws.
               4. Finally, their mouths are partially lined with taste-receptors, which aid them in tasting food.
          o Skeleton: They have a normal endoskeleton structure, except for their facial claws, which are covered with a strong bone-like substance and are lined with sharp teeth.
          o Limbs:
               1. They use four strong legs to propel themselves along the grasslands and quickly snatch prey up in their serated facial claws.
               2. The four facial claws are the most characteristic part of the Morvlox's anatomy. the bottom claws serve to sense vibrations in the ground and dig up burrowing prey quickly and efficiently, while the top claws are designed to clamp down on land-bound prey and mobilize it. The claws also serve a decorative and mating purpose, described bellow in the reproduction section.
          o Metabolism: They have a typical metabolic system: They eat through their mouths (positioned between their facial claws), digest the meat in a single stomach, and excrete waste through their anus (located on their underside). They breathe normally with two lungs, but they also have a smaller, more compact compartment called an air-bladder which helps them conserve breath while running long distances or chasing down prey.
    * Habitat These creatures are plentiful on the open plains of Irenses, the largest and most fertile continent on planet Epun. There they hunt down herbivores and other, smaller, carnivores with their superior speed and agility, and of course their deadly overbite!
    * Reproduction: They reproduce sexually in a normal fashion, but have a mating ritual similar to that of terran mountain rams: They show their strength by bashing together their facial claws until one male backs down. The "winner" gets mating privileges.

ok that's that. Next up is the Gravlor.
As always, feedback is encouraged  ;)

EDIT: Oh yea and tell me if my posting format is kind of weird, because I'm just writing my articles on Wikipedia and then posting them directly here...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:22:07 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 09:06:59 pm »
Ok I'll just write a quick article about the Gravlor, a creature which is to the Agnoculus the equivalent of what our horse is to us (humans, that is).
I need to keep plowing on towards the modern galactic age. I just noticed that "Grand Union of Races" thread, and it looks pretty interesting (if they decide to invite other races I would be especially curious) ... ;). Well, here we go:

The Gravlor
A stocky and large creature, the Gravlor has the rich personality of a cow and the strength of an elephant. A herbivore, it evolved a very strong shield against carnivorous predators: It's back is covered in a kind of turtle shell, which itself is studded with sharp spines. If an enemy comes too close, it can swing its strong tail and try to bash it away, or simply wait until it leaps and impale it on its viciously sharp shell-spikes. It feeds on Greyweed, bristtle grass, and other indigenous plants of the plains of Irenses (the main continent on Epun). Using it's dozens of mouth-tentacles, it feels along the ground for for food and simply rolls it into its mouth when it finds it. These creatures are docile and seem totally uninterested in anything that might happen around them, going about their business and ignoring everything else, which is one of the main reasons that the Agnoculi found them so easy to tame and make into their own pack-mules. Another reason they became such helpful "pets" was their mode of locomotion: they use 6 incredibly strong legs to plow along the ground, and so can pull incredibly large loads for the Anoculi.

As usual, any comments/requests/constructive criticism is encouraged  8)

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 06:02:19 am »
I really like their religion. It would be hard to impose on others.  ;D The general physiology of the planet is cool as well.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 03:06:54 pm »
Sorry I haven't been able to update, I'm really busy with schoolwork during the week, but I should have a decently long update tomorrow if I can get my scanner to work...
In the meantime, I updated The Agnoculus and the Gillra on the front page with the new C.A.S classification system (courtesy of Eligecos ;D).

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 09:17:49 pm »
OK, once again, sorry i didn't update yesterday like I said I would, but my scanner was still acting up. It miraculously got better today without me actually doing anything (hmmm, suspicious...), so here is an update  ;D :

THE TRIBAL WARS!

As mentioned above, the separate Agnoculus tribes were slowly becoming more and more aggressive and territorial as new inventions were being made. New stone walls, weapons, and agricultural ideas were constantly being developped, and these all contributed to this new sense of separation between all the tribal groups. Soon, mild aggression escalated to full-scale battle between adjacent tribes, and within months of the very first skirmish, the whole continent was thrown into war. Alliances formed and broke at incredible rates. Backstabbing, double-crossing, sneak attacks, and all other kinds of war-time strategies were used in all parts of the country.
All in all, not many details are known about this incredibly large-scale civil war, as the destruction that ensued would barely leave any traces of what society was like at the time. Nevertheless, it is known that many advancements in technology (although this technology was designed exclusively to cause destruction) were made in this period, and the species did advance in sentiency and intelligence.

Here are a few illustrations and explanations for some of the inventions used during this time:

Above is the most revolutionary weapon of the wars, the first catapult: Built like a giant sling, it used the flexibility and strength of the natural bamboo-like plants of the swamps to send payloads of rocks or explosives (see below) into enemy lines and villages.

This is the very first explosive device developped by the Agnoculus. It is simply a bag filled with separate layers of substances. At the bottom is a heavy mixture of small rocks and metal shavings, serving the double purpose of keeping the explosive straight as it descends onto enemies (it was designed to be launched from the catapult), and also of making a spark once the explosive hits the ground/building/soldier/etc. Second is a layer of wood-shavings and other flammable substances that will easy burn once the spark is generated from the bottom layer. Finally, the top layer of the bag is an animal bladder containing a highly flammable oil that finally catches on fire and causes great damage to enemy structures and soldiers.

This is simply the next generation of buildings that the Agnoculus lived in. It still has the typical converging-towards-the-roof hut shape, but it is now made of sturdy stones and covered in a wooden roof (a chimney is also used to channel smoke out of the building). It was designed to better withstand attacks by fire like those from the projectiles described above.

OK that's all for now... soooo...
COMMENT PEOPLE COMMENT!

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 12:12:49 am »
COMMENT PEOPLE COMMENT!

Ok I will if you comment on Sagan 4 :P

I like the building style but why is the chimney so far up? Also in the explosive, what is the explosive liquid? Also for the catapult how is it suppose to launch rocks? Its seems like the bamboo would be too weak to even pick them up let along throw them. And even if they could hows the rope suppose to hold them down. your creatures must be super strong to pull down the bamboo that would be able to throw rocks. In which case why do they need catapults in the first place if they are so strong, they could just toss them with their amazing strength. In short i suggest some pulleys on that thing so you can pull large amounts of weight with very little effort.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 06:35:43 pm »
COMMENT PEOPLE COMMENT!

Ok I will if you comment on Sagan 4 :P

I like the building style but why is the chimney so far up? Also in the explosive, what is the explosive liquid? Also for the catapult how is it suppose to launch rocks? Its seems like the bamboo would be too weak to even pick them up let along throw them. And even if they could hows the rope suppose to hold them down. your creatures must be super strong to pull down the bamboo that would be able to throw rocks. In which case why do they need catapults in the first place if they are so strong, they could just toss them with their amazing strength. In short i suggest some pulleys on that thing so you can pull large amounts of weight with very little effort.

Thanks for the comment, hehe  ;D. I guess I'll go take a look at the Sagan 4 thread...
As for your questions:
-Yes actually, now that I look at it, the chimney is kind of messed up. I should probably just have made it a hole in the wall: why would they ever think of building a whole chimney if they can just make use of a small hole that the smoke gets funneled into by a fireplace thing on the inside? My bad.
-As for the liquid and the strength of the bamboo, I think I'm going to talk about that in a future Flora article I'm thinking of posting (I've got a few ideas, but not enough to post yet, and anyways, I want to keep advancing the Agnoculus through the ages!)
-Finally, for the Catapult, I was expecting it to be manned by multiple Agnoculi, like four or five (Oh and the bamboo I drew looks really thin in one part, and that's just because I messed up  :P). Also, they could use one of the Gravlor to pull the bamboo back while the sled is fixed in place, and then maybe cut the string, instead of using the two random strings I drew in there... Tell me if that makes sense, or if I should revise the idea/drawing a bit...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:26:04 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 06:47:35 pm »
I think you should revise the idea/drawing a bit.  ;D

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 10:20:23 pm »
Here goes: I made a new picture of the catapult. It might be kind of hard to see, I couldn't really get the angle right  :-\, but there are two wheels with a rope attached to each. These ropes in turn tie to the ends of the "bamboo" sticks.
How it works is: two Agnoculi post themselves on each side and slowly wind up the ropes, pulling back the "bamboo" until it is completely taught. A third Agnoculus would then place the explosive bag or a boulder into the little square formed by the crossing "bamboo", and then I guess they would all just let go and jump back as the rope unwinds violently.

Is that any better? (It's a simple fix, but it works pretty well...)
Coming up next: My first complete map of the Agnoculus home planet, Epun.  ;D
(I'm going to try using GIMP to make it, so it might take me a while, as I have yet to figure out all the controls)

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 10:50:05 pm »
Yay! Mucho better!!  :D ;D :D ;D

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 09:14:12 pm »
Here is what I am going to use as an empty template for my Epun map:

Also, I've been playing around a bit with the GIMP 2 tools, and here are some results I've gotten: (I'm not sure I like it though...)
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3678/epunupgwl8.jpg
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:15:44 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2006, 11:48:32 pm »
Looks like you are having fun with GIMP in that last picture.