Poll

ab

a
b

Author Topic: The Agnoculus (and other Creatures of Epun)  (Read 25231 times)

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
The Agnoculus (and other Creatures of Epun)
« on: November 15, 2006, 04:15:35 pm »
Hey everyone, just thought I'd introduce a creature I thought of a few days ago...
I found out about spore about a week ago while reading the New Yorker (there was an article in there about Will Wright and his new Evolution Game).
I was instantly captivated by the idea and quickly checked it out on my computer. I watched gameplay videos for a few days and finally stumbled upon SporeWiki, and decided I would make a creature.
so...If you guys have any advice or anything, please tell me, I'm all new to the forums and to the Spore community and would gladly accept it.
Without further ado, Here is my Agnoculus!
I posted a few things on SporeWiki, cuz that's where I started out, so here is the link to the Agnoculus page: http://www.sporewiki.com/Agnoculus
So far I have all the basic information done and the page also links off to the Agnoculi's home planet, so you can look at that too.
Finally, I also made the Agnoculi's ancestor, the "Oculus", and that's over there too...
So yea, hope you all like it.

C.A.S Classifications:

Here are some pictures:
First of all, the actual modern Agnoculus:

And here is a pic of its primitive ancestor, the Oculus:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:18:07 pm by aligon »

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
Re: New Creature: the Agnoculus
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 04:24:59 pm »
cool :)
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 04:25:50 pm »
Cool, nice creature and welcome to gamingsteve...

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 01:11:54 am »
I like the tentacles in the claw.

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 05:42:44 am »
Nice, I think i've seen it wandering around sprewiki in the past.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 04:49:38 pm »

C.A.S Classifications:

I made a new creature, called the Gillra, which is another sentient creature on Epun.
Like the Agnoculus, the Gillra also evolved from the ancient Oculus life form and became an intelligent species on the planet. On the other hand, this species stayed underwater, where they continued their development and growth and continued to acquire knowledge and intelligence (until the "Element wars", which I'll hopefully talk about sometime later). Just like the agnoculus, they have one big eye, a large cicular tooth-lined mouth, and vibration sensors for hearing (which they seemed to have evolved independently from the Agnoculus). They use 6 paddle-like limbs to slowly move through the water. These limbs are bulky and don't allow for much grace or speed, but they are useful in that they give them increased stability and maneauvring underwater.
They have a series of gills all along their backs for breathing, and they use two branching tentacles to grab on and move/manipulate objects.
Finally, they have a prehensile tail with a series of suckers on it for pulling things along behind them, such as prey, or, in more modern times, equipment and bulky objects.
On the end of its tail is a small pointed dart-like growth, which is simply a remnant from one of their poisonous ancestors, and does not in fact serve them any use anymore.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 08:47:19 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline shadowlord18

• Super Mario Bro.
  • *hug* here you go be well my friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 06:55:49 pm »
please upload your image shack or photopucket take to top link the provide you with and put it in the
Code: [Select]
[img]there[/img] to show the piccies here
Life is not measured by the amount of times you fall down but by the number of times you get back up again.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 07:40:13 pm »
Ok cool , thx for the tip shadowlord

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 09:56:53 pm »
Here is a hastily-drawn picture of the Agnoculus Solar System:

And this is the description of planet Epun:

The first thing to understand about Epun is its bizarre orbit, as it explains many of the phenomena and characteristics of the planet.
    - First of all, Epun is not a normal planet in that does not orbit around its solar system's sun (called Visum), like most other life-bearing planets do. In fact, it orbits around a large gas giant, Defastrum, which in turn orbits around Visum.
    - The second interesting fact about Epun's orbit is that its orbit plane is nowhere near the same angle as that of the other planets around Visum: It's tilted almost 90 degrees! It is hypothesized that a large planet-sized object must have collided with Defastum during the Visum System's formation, giving it a very unique spin: it seems to "roll", its rotational axis always aligned along its orbit plane, not perpendicular like normal planets (very much like the terran planet Uranus, which has an axial tilt of 98 degrees). To help you visualize, this means that for a quarter of the year, one of Defastrus's poles will always be facing the sun, then for the next quarter-year, the sun rises and sets along the equator normally, and then the next quarter the opposite pole will allways be facing the sun, and so on and so forth...
    - This large collision between Defastrus and another mysterious object is also said to have engendered Epun's birth, which orbits around its "mother planet" (defastrus) along its equator (Epun's rotational axis is parallel to defastrum's rotational axis) due to strong tidal pulls much like those between the terran Earth and Moon.

Seasons (I dont really talk about seasons at all in the below paragraph but w/e, I didnt really know what else to name it... :-\)

- The most important thing to note about Epun is that most of the heat it recieves comes not from the sun, but from its mother planet! Defastrus, a giant gaseous planet almost six times the size of jupiter, orbits quite far from Visum, and the heat generated by this far-off sun would not have been enough to support life on Epun. Instead, due to its large size and specific chemical components, Defastrus generates enough heat to keep Epun constantly warm:
          - Defastrus's gravity is so great that its inner core is compacted to the point of reaching incredible temperatures, and these diffuse accross the surface and into space (just like the gaseous planets in the terran solar system, especially Jupiter, but to a much higher degree of intensity).
          - Another reason why Defastrus is so warm is explained by the Kelvin-Helmholtz effect, which is when a large planet cools down and in doing so releases heat out into space (Again, the terran gaseous planets also show this effect, but not quite as much as Defastrus)
          - Because of these effects, the Agnoculi living on Epun consider their mother planet a star that never quite made it, hence Defastrus's name, which means "failed star".
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 08:26:07 am by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 01:36:10 am »
Very nice man, you really put some work in here!

Also very realistic, I wish I knew astrology as well as I know it now when I made the Urshan star system almost a year ago.

Oh and by the way, you got yourself a first fan request :), how about some religions?

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 10:45:35 am »
nice drawings man, welcome to gaming steve, we are getting new members here and old members are comming back.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 11:29:17 pm »
Ok, here is a bit about religion:   ;D

The Agnoculus, throughout their evolution-span (like life-span, but for a whole species...  :-\), went through many religious and philosophical revolutions and developped many different religions. These ranged from monotheistic to polytheistic, radical, cultist, creationist,  etc. The list goes on for a very long time, and it would be impossible to describe every single one of these religions and different ideologies. I'll talk about some other religions later once I get past the first few things i need to address (I'm going to try describing the different ages that the Agnoculus civilization goes through in chronological order as I post) but this is a sneak peak into one of the main and longest-lasting religions that these creatures took part in (I just couldn't ignore my FIRST FAN REQUEST!!!)

Imperfectionism:
The Agnoculus have often found it easy to consider themselves the "odd-one-out": They are very different from other races on their planet, especially with their odd number of legs and the other unique features of theirs. From this idea sprung a bizarre ideology that was first introduced by a kind of philosophic and scientific prophet at the beginning of the Unification Age called Ergon. This individual hypothesized that the whole Agnoculus race was a "heavenly mistake", and from the very beginning should have been doomed to disappear due to its bizarre shape and characterisitcs.
"We are ungraceful and ugly creatures," he said "and how, in such a perfect and harmonious universe, could such bizarre creatures as ourselves possibly exist?"
"But," He discussed, "As we can all feel our own presence in this world, we know that our race still lives, and that we are not obliterated. This means that we must have been spared some horrible fate by a higher mind, saved by such beings as we may never comprehend".
He argued that should the Agnoculus lose favor under these mysterious saviors's eyes, they would instantly be obliterated, and disappear from the world in the time it takes for a bolt of lightning to come down from the heavens and strike the earth. But if the Agnoculus race stayed in their favor, he believed, they would be able to perform supernatural feats, backed by these mysterious entities. He believed in the power of prayer, worship, and offerings, and quickly gathered followers and built temples and altars to please these mysterious unknown gods that he hypothesized about.
This religion evolved along with the race itself, and although it changed much over the thousands of years leading up to the modern ages, the basic ideas advanced by Ergon so long ago are still used as the foundations of the Imperfectionist Ideological Society of Epun today, in modern times (the most notable change is that the "mysterious savior entity" that Ergon hypothesized about eventually came to be considered more of a force of nature or spiritual magic, and not an actual God).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 10:25:50 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 09:55:45 am »
coool
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Daan

• Lode Runner
  • Cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 12:45:16 pm »
Nice creature! :)

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 04:50:39 pm »
Here's a reminder on the Ancient Oculus creature and some evolution information (how it eventually evolved into the Agnoculus and Gillra creatures):

BASIC INFORMATION
The Oculus is one of the oldest known descendants of the Agnoculus and several other sapient species on Epun. It represents the foundation of the plutelium ("Many Arms") taxonomic clade, and many species on Epun can trace back their evolutionary ancestry back to this creature. Due to this fact, it was deemed important by Agnoculus scientists in the Genetic Age to gain a more fundamental and profound understanding of this creature.
Classification and Nomenclature: The Oculus is, as stated in the introduction, the foundation of the plutelium (which means "many arms", designating its many tentacles) clade on Epun. Its scientific name is therefore simply Plutelium Primoris (or, "the first plutelium"). It is more commonly called the "Oculus" by its more modern descendants (the Agnoculus) because they believe that the Oculus was simply a non-sentient version of themselves. Some modern Agnoculus geneticists even held the Oculi with a certain religious respect, as a kind of primitive creator-like figure.
Size: They have a very variable size, adults range from 5 centimeter to 30 centimeter tentacle-spans (or "diameter" of the Oculus if all of its tentacles are fully extended). The central eye ranges from 2 to 4 centimeters in radius, and so does not vary much between individuals.
Lifespan: Most live between 1 and 8 human months.
Anatomy: The Oculus are simple creatures, moving around using their tentacles to swim, feeding through four filter-mouths positioned on their most prominent tentacles (these filter mouths enable it to catch plankton as it floats by or slowly absorb nutrients from Epun jellyfish or other larger organisms). One of their most important characteristics, of course, is their single eye, which is relatively simple and only allows for a small range of visibility. It is quite large because it enables the Oculus to see in the very dark environment of the deep-sea trenches and habitats, but they are colour-blind and cannot percieve depth like their land-dwelling descendants. Another interesting characteristic is that unlike most tentacle'd creatures, the Oculus does not have completely shapeless tentacles: They are strengthened by a kind of endoskeleton which is in fact a system of "macrotubules", much like the microtubules in individual cells.
Reproduction: The Oculus have a simple reproductive process: After they reach maturity (in about one human week), they begin directly releasing spores and eggs into the water every few weeks or so, at periodic intervals. The male spore and female eggs meet and the young grow quickly. Since they are usually far from their parents by the time they have grown, they have to fend for themselves, explaining the low survival rate of offspring: for every thousand or so female eggs released (the typical periodic amount for an average Oculus) only about half of these will become fertilized, and of this half, only 1 or 2% will survive to sexual maturity. This periodic cycle of reproduction continues indefinitely, until the individual dies.

EVOLUTION
The Oculus was a very effective creature survival-wise. It was already one of the largest creatures under the water at the time it was developing. Its filter-mouths enabled it to feed both off meat (if you'd call small shrimp-like creatures with chitin exoskeletons "meat"), or, if food was scarce, filter plankton out of the water. It's many tentacles gave it great flexibility and agility underwater, as well as a higher-than-average strength thanks to the strong macro-filaments in each tentacle. Looking at all this now, we can easily understand how this creature evolved into the two main sapient species on the planet, it was already the most developed organism around in post-primeval-soup times! As depicted in the picture, we see how the Oculus eventually evolved into both the Gillra and Agnoculus creatures by branching off on two evolutionary routes:

The Agnoculus:
To eventually become the modern Agnoculus creature, the Oculus had to go through several separate stages of evolution. In the picture, we see how at first it developed into a more amphibian-like creature like a terran frog. At this point, the tentacles were beginning to form into functional limbs a new, stronger endoskeleton developing from the initial system of macro-filaments. It is also at this point that the claws filled with sensory tentacles began evolving and the filter-mouth developed into a tooth-lined opening. Then, when this organism finally moved onto land, the 5 limbs were already fully developed, and all that was left was for the Agnoculus to evolve its long neck and various other minor evolutionary changes.

The Gillra:
The Gillra, an underwater-living creature, also evolved from the ancient Oculus. In this case, the Oculus initially had to mutate into a more fish-like creature: its tentacles changed into flipper-like limbs to speed itself up, it developed a jaw, and it started using actual gills to breathe. At this stage, this organism also developed a short sucker-covered tail with a poisonous dart end for defense against predators. In the second stage of this particular branch of the Oculus's evolution, the flippers became real paddle-limbs, the tail became more developed (although the poisonous dart began receding), and, most importantly, what had initially been two simple sensory tentacles on the creature's head became fully-functional branching tentacles for manipulating objects and tools with better precision.

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 02:20:47 pm »
Here's some more stuff: (I got to get my poor ikkle creature to the space age, seems like all the fun to be had is over there... ;D)

Tribes and the Formation of Agnoculus Society

The very beginnings of Agnoculus sentiency are believed to have emerged during the tribal age, an age during which families began banding together into small groups, and the first tools were invented and used in these tightly-bound tribes.

One of the main reasons that the Agnoculus began banding together in small tribes was the frailty of their young. As was mentioned before, Agnoculus young are born very weak: their large eye is already fully formed and their thick neck is very heavy for their frail limbs to carry. Here's a picture:

This means that the parents have to be especially careful and protective, always on the watch for predators such as the deadly Morvlox (which I'll post pictures of and stuff later) , a quick and crafty creature of the plains. As the Morvlox and other predators started hunting in bands, the Agnoculus had to quickly develop a better way of defending themselves and their young. Communities soon sprang up, and with the combined strength and intelligence of the many individuals that made up each group, these tribes developped quickly. Some examples of new innovations and developments in the tribal setting include:

* Communication: The Agnoculi needed a way to communicate more efficiently amongst each other if this arrangement was to work, and this is where the clicking and snapping language that the agnoculus still use today originated, although at this point it was still quite primitive and simple.
    * Discoveries and Construction: The discovery of fire was quick to come, and the agnoculus soon began building huts to protect and warm their young during the long and irregular winter seasons. They used a kind of bamboo-reed that grew near the sea to consolidate simple huts made of local plants such as the long Grayweed and strong Bristle-Grass. A hole at the top of the construction let steam and smoke rise out when the fires were built.
    * Transportation: The Agnoculi also started experimenting with all the possible uses of lesser creatures as motors to draw sleds (the wheel had not yet been invented.) such as the strong armored Gravlor (which I'm probably going to describe in the same post I describe the Morvlox in...maeh, lots of stuff to do...), which they promptly started domesticating and breeding for this purpose.
    * Agriculture: Possibly one of the most important discoveries of the early tribal age was the discovery of cultivatable plants. Soon, agriculuture became one of the main sources of food in these tribal settings, as the Agnoculus had never really been effective hunters in their native plains and had mostly been fruit and berry-pickers, occasionally scavenging the meat that they needed. Once again using the Gravlor to plow the fields and sow seeds, growing food became so effective that it stayed the most important factor for Agnoculus growth for several ages to come. Rock vesicles were soon deveolopped for storage of seeds and crops with the help of argilous mud and thid evolved into what would eventually become modern pottery.
    * Other developments: To defend themselves from predators, the Agnoculi started designing weapons, such as the bamboo-spear, which evolved into the most decorative and traditional weapon of the species. Walls and fences were used to fend off smaller, weaker predators. In the long run, though, these developments only helped enhance each tribe's sense of territoriality, and this would all eventually lead to the tribal wars, which I will probably discuss in the next post, not sure yet though.
here is one of the tribal huts I talked about above:

Hope you like it!  ;).
EDIT: Oops forgot to post the pictures.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 02:24:34 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 12:47:29 am »
Nice job, I love the hut.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 08:20:08 am »
coool
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 12:36:25 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys!  ;D

MORVLOX
The morvlox is a very quick and feared predator on the plains of Epun. Thanks to its four serated "facial claws", it truly is a carnivore to watch out for!
(I have two images, one coloured normally with coloured pencils, and one that I colored using paint, tell me which you like best...I haven't had time to take a look at GIMP yet, so I'm gona keep drawing and scanning and maybe doing a little paint here and there) (EDIT: I took the big fat picture away, it was kind of annoying me.)

* Classification: In common nomenclature, "Morvlox" stands for "quick bite". This animal is classified in phylum Quadrum of the Agnoculus taxonomic system (because it's a quadruped). It's full scientific name is Quadrum Preda Morsus
    * Size: Adults range from 1 to 1.5 meters long. Facial claws range from 20 to 60 centimers long.
    * Lifespan: Most live only 10 to 15 years, very similar to a terran horse's lifespan.
    * Anatomy:
          o senses:
               1. They see using the characteristic single eye that many creatures use on Epun
               2. The morvlox use two nostrils located inside their mouths and protected by two skin flaps (if it is eating, it dosen't want food getting up its "nose"!) to smell their environment. Their sense of smell is therefore quite keen.
               3. They have no ears, and no true sense of hearing, but they often use their lower two facial claws to sense vibrations along the ground. This is a very useful hunting strategy as they can drag them along the ground to detect burrowing creatures, which they can promptly dig out with these same facial claws.
               4. Finally, their mouths are partially lined with taste-receptors, which aid them in tasting food.
          o Skeleton: They have a normal endoskeleton structure, except for their facial claws, which are covered with a strong bone-like substance and are lined with sharp teeth.
          o Limbs:
               1. They use four strong legs to propel themselves along the grasslands and quickly snatch prey up in their serated facial claws.
               2. The four facial claws are the most characteristic part of the Morvlox's anatomy. the bottom claws serve to sense vibrations in the ground and dig up burrowing prey quickly and efficiently, while the top claws are designed to clamp down on land-bound prey and mobilize it. The claws also serve a decorative and mating purpose, described bellow in the reproduction section.
          o Metabolism: They have a typical metabolic system: They eat through their mouths (positioned between their facial claws), digest the meat in a single stomach, and excrete waste through their anus (located on their underside). They breathe normally with two lungs, but they also have a smaller, more compact compartment called an air-bladder which helps them conserve breath while running long distances or chasing down prey.
    * Habitat These creatures are plentiful on the open plains of Irenses, the largest and most fertile continent on planet Epun. There they hunt down herbivores and other, smaller, carnivores with their superior speed and agility, and of course their deadly overbite!
    * Reproduction: They reproduce sexually in a normal fashion, but have a mating ritual similar to that of terran mountain rams: They show their strength by bashing together their facial claws until one male backs down. The "winner" gets mating privileges.

ok that's that. Next up is the Gravlor.
As always, feedback is encouraged  ;)

EDIT: Oh yea and tell me if my posting format is kind of weird, because I'm just writing my articles on Wikipedia and then posting them directly here...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:22:07 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 09:06:59 pm »
Ok I'll just write a quick article about the Gravlor, a creature which is to the Agnoculus the equivalent of what our horse is to us (humans, that is).
I need to keep plowing on towards the modern galactic age. I just noticed that "Grand Union of Races" thread, and it looks pretty interesting (if they decide to invite other races I would be especially curious) ... ;). Well, here we go:

The Gravlor
A stocky and large creature, the Gravlor has the rich personality of a cow and the strength of an elephant. A herbivore, it evolved a very strong shield against carnivorous predators: It's back is covered in a kind of turtle shell, which itself is studded with sharp spines. If an enemy comes too close, it can swing its strong tail and try to bash it away, or simply wait until it leaps and impale it on its viciously sharp shell-spikes. It feeds on Greyweed, bristtle grass, and other indigenous plants of the plains of Irenses (the main continent on Epun). Using it's dozens of mouth-tentacles, it feels along the ground for for food and simply rolls it into its mouth when it finds it. These creatures are docile and seem totally uninterested in anything that might happen around them, going about their business and ignoring everything else, which is one of the main reasons that the Agnoculi found them so easy to tame and make into their own pack-mules. Another reason they became such helpful "pets" was their mode of locomotion: they use 6 incredibly strong legs to plow along the ground, and so can pull incredibly large loads for the Anoculi.

As usual, any comments/requests/constructive criticism is encouraged  8)

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 06:02:19 am »
I really like their religion. It would be hard to impose on others.  ;D The general physiology of the planet is cool as well.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 03:06:54 pm »
Sorry I haven't been able to update, I'm really busy with schoolwork during the week, but I should have a decently long update tomorrow if I can get my scanner to work...
In the meantime, I updated The Agnoculus and the Gillra on the front page with the new C.A.S classification system (courtesy of Eligecos ;D).

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 09:17:49 pm »
OK, once again, sorry i didn't update yesterday like I said I would, but my scanner was still acting up. It miraculously got better today without me actually doing anything (hmmm, suspicious...), so here is an update  ;D :

THE TRIBAL WARS!

As mentioned above, the separate Agnoculus tribes were slowly becoming more and more aggressive and territorial as new inventions were being made. New stone walls, weapons, and agricultural ideas were constantly being developped, and these all contributed to this new sense of separation between all the tribal groups. Soon, mild aggression escalated to full-scale battle between adjacent tribes, and within months of the very first skirmish, the whole continent was thrown into war. Alliances formed and broke at incredible rates. Backstabbing, double-crossing, sneak attacks, and all other kinds of war-time strategies were used in all parts of the country.
All in all, not many details are known about this incredibly large-scale civil war, as the destruction that ensued would barely leave any traces of what society was like at the time. Nevertheless, it is known that many advancements in technology (although this technology was designed exclusively to cause destruction) were made in this period, and the species did advance in sentiency and intelligence.

Here are a few illustrations and explanations for some of the inventions used during this time:

Above is the most revolutionary weapon of the wars, the first catapult: Built like a giant sling, it used the flexibility and strength of the natural bamboo-like plants of the swamps to send payloads of rocks or explosives (see below) into enemy lines and villages.

This is the very first explosive device developped by the Agnoculus. It is simply a bag filled with separate layers of substances. At the bottom is a heavy mixture of small rocks and metal shavings, serving the double purpose of keeping the explosive straight as it descends onto enemies (it was designed to be launched from the catapult), and also of making a spark once the explosive hits the ground/building/soldier/etc. Second is a layer of wood-shavings and other flammable substances that will easy burn once the spark is generated from the bottom layer. Finally, the top layer of the bag is an animal bladder containing a highly flammable oil that finally catches on fire and causes great damage to enemy structures and soldiers.

This is simply the next generation of buildings that the Agnoculus lived in. It still has the typical converging-towards-the-roof hut shape, but it is now made of sturdy stones and covered in a wooden roof (a chimney is also used to channel smoke out of the building). It was designed to better withstand attacks by fire like those from the projectiles described above.

OK that's all for now... soooo...
COMMENT PEOPLE COMMENT!

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 12:12:49 am »
COMMENT PEOPLE COMMENT!

Ok I will if you comment on Sagan 4 :P

I like the building style but why is the chimney so far up? Also in the explosive, what is the explosive liquid? Also for the catapult how is it suppose to launch rocks? Its seems like the bamboo would be too weak to even pick them up let along throw them. And even if they could hows the rope suppose to hold them down. your creatures must be super strong to pull down the bamboo that would be able to throw rocks. In which case why do they need catapults in the first place if they are so strong, they could just toss them with their amazing strength. In short i suggest some pulleys on that thing so you can pull large amounts of weight with very little effort.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 06:35:43 pm »
COMMENT PEOPLE COMMENT!

Ok I will if you comment on Sagan 4 :P

I like the building style but why is the chimney so far up? Also in the explosive, what is the explosive liquid? Also for the catapult how is it suppose to launch rocks? Its seems like the bamboo would be too weak to even pick them up let along throw them. And even if they could hows the rope suppose to hold them down. your creatures must be super strong to pull down the bamboo that would be able to throw rocks. In which case why do they need catapults in the first place if they are so strong, they could just toss them with their amazing strength. In short i suggest some pulleys on that thing so you can pull large amounts of weight with very little effort.

Thanks for the comment, hehe  ;D. I guess I'll go take a look at the Sagan 4 thread...
As for your questions:
-Yes actually, now that I look at it, the chimney is kind of messed up. I should probably just have made it a hole in the wall: why would they ever think of building a whole chimney if they can just make use of a small hole that the smoke gets funneled into by a fireplace thing on the inside? My bad.
-As for the liquid and the strength of the bamboo, I think I'm going to talk about that in a future Flora article I'm thinking of posting (I've got a few ideas, but not enough to post yet, and anyways, I want to keep advancing the Agnoculus through the ages!)
-Finally, for the Catapult, I was expecting it to be manned by multiple Agnoculi, like four or five (Oh and the bamboo I drew looks really thin in one part, and that's just because I messed up  :P). Also, they could use one of the Gravlor to pull the bamboo back while the sled is fixed in place, and then maybe cut the string, instead of using the two random strings I drew in there... Tell me if that makes sense, or if I should revise the idea/drawing a bit...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:26:04 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 06:47:35 pm »
I think you should revise the idea/drawing a bit.  ;D

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 10:20:23 pm »
Here goes: I made a new picture of the catapult. It might be kind of hard to see, I couldn't really get the angle right  :-\, but there are two wheels with a rope attached to each. These ropes in turn tie to the ends of the "bamboo" sticks.
How it works is: two Agnoculi post themselves on each side and slowly wind up the ropes, pulling back the "bamboo" until it is completely taught. A third Agnoculus would then place the explosive bag or a boulder into the little square formed by the crossing "bamboo", and then I guess they would all just let go and jump back as the rope unwinds violently.

Is that any better? (It's a simple fix, but it works pretty well...)
Coming up next: My first complete map of the Agnoculus home planet, Epun.  ;D
(I'm going to try using GIMP to make it, so it might take me a while, as I have yet to figure out all the controls)

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 10:50:05 pm »
Yay! Mucho better!!  :D ;D :D ;D

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 09:14:12 pm »
Here is what I am going to use as an empty template for my Epun map:

Also, I've been playing around a bit with the GIMP 2 tools, and here are some results I've gotten: (I'm not sure I like it though...)
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3678/epunupgwl8.jpg
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:15:44 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2006, 11:48:32 pm »
Looks like you are having fun with GIMP in that last picture.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 03:29:41 pm »
I tried out Creature Editor 3.0, and I found it quite easy to use and very cool. These are some results I got (I had trouble with the colors, but it took me just a few minutes to make each of these):
The Agnoculus:

The Gillra:

EDIT: I just made a better Agnoculus (I like the legs a little better):
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 03:50:06 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Neferrhor

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 07:08:24 am »
One question...
Is it important or has it actually something to say, you named the ancestor of the Agnoculus Oculus, which actually means "Eye" in latin?  ....just wondering :P

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 04:14:34 pm »
One question...
Is it important or has it actually something to say, you named the ancestor of the Agnoculus Oculus, which actually means "Eye" in latin?  ....just wondering :P
Yep, I named it the "Oculus" because its most distinguishing feature was its very large eye (compared to the other creatures that lived in the deep sea with it).
The name "Agnoculus" I also derived that way: it is a combination of "Agnosco" (which I think means "knowing", so kind-of wise or intelligent) and "Oculus".
I also did the same thing for the Gravlor and the Morvlox..try to guess what latin words they come from!  ;D

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Neferrhor

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2006, 02:54:12 am »
Well...
You could have made up "Morvlox" either from mors/mortis (death) or morsus/morsūs, which means "spice" or "bite" (well, these two are actually the only ones which make sense to me).But I do not know where you took the "-v-" and the "-lox" from  :-\

For the "Gravlor" i am quite sure you made  it up from "gravis", which means "heavy" (gravidare/gravidō wouldn't make sense  ;D)

One thing though...."agnoscere" means percieve, im afraid  :(

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2006, 10:02:52 am »
Well...
You could have made up "Morvlox" either from mors/mortis (death) or morsus/morsūs, which means "spice" or "bite" (well, these two are actually the only ones which make sense to me).But I do not know where you took the "-v-" and the "-lox" from  :-\

For the "Gravlor" i am quite sure you made  it up from "gravis", which means "heavy" (gravidare/gravidō wouldn't make sense  ;D)

One thing though...."agnoscere" means percieve, im afraid  :(
I think "vlox" means quick (by the way, I'm getting all this from a babel-fish type online translator, so it might be giving me crappy answers  :-\)
As for the Agnoculus, I do remember having to bend the definition a little bit to fit my needs  ;).
So I guess It's "percieving eye", which isn't too bad either.

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2006, 10:42:44 pm »
O.K I've only got a quick update right now, and It's just a picture I drew while watching "March of the Penguins" (Today was like Emperor Penguin Day or something for my family: First we went to the cinema to watch "Happy Feet", and now this!  ;D). I kind of like it though, so here goes:
(It's a tribal Agnoculus with a spear, in case my drawing skills are that bad...)

I kind of changed the head from the original one for the simple reason that I find it looks cooler this way :P...You can just imagine that it's evolving a bigger brain, which explains the larger, more drooping "head"
How'd you like it?

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2006, 10:53:59 pm »
I coulda sworn I posted In here before but meh I dunno...I've Just gotta say...Shamzazing creature and It's one of the most unique ones I've saw yet...I'm working on something and you'll find out what It Is soon enough...woops said to much.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 12:46:12 am »
FAN ART!

Sorry If It's kinda crappy...

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2006, 11:26:40 am »
Wow thanks a lot, that's awesome! My first fan-art, and it looks great, YAY  ;D.
Dang it, how do you guys make your pictures so crisp and precise...I always scan and then it looks all smudgy...

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 01:37:19 pm »
I can't so I used flash :D you're welcome.

Thank you come again :D

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2006, 03:45:46 pm »
good stuff  :)
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2006, 09:57:07 pm »
UPDAAAATE!!!  :o :o :o

Clan Excevir
After many decades of deadly struggle and widespread destruction, the multitude of tribes on Irenses were still nowhere near any kind of unification. Battles continued to rage accross the entire continent, and the race did not advance much culturally or technologically. Large groups or alliances would sometimes form, but they would be unable to cope with their differences, and would quickly dissolve.

Finally, a large tribe in the North-Western part of the continent decided that it wanted to grow and gain more power. Now this was nothing revolutionary, as the many tribes had been fighting for very long already, constantly attempting to glean every single piece of land and fragment of power that they could possibly collect. What was truly special about this tribe (Whose members later devided to name it "Clan Excevir", or "Superior Strength") was that it had spent most of its past growing and consolidating, becoming stronger, wiser, defending itself against attacks and unifying its citizens. In this tribe, an entire caste system evolved, with philophers, workers, and leaders all cooperating in all the different tribal settlements. New advances were often made in this tribe, and the only reason that it had never gained an upper hand on other tribes before was simply a question of espionage: Other tribes would send infiltrators or spies, or simply watch from a distance, and steal the revolutionary ideas that this tribe developped. But the Excevir eventually realized this and began working in secret, hiding their ideas and preparing for when their time to spread was be ripe.

While other tribes continued to battle, the Excevir developped many new technologies, most important of which was the wheel! They kept this development very secret, and quickly made an army of charriots and wheel-mounted catapults (the wheels were simple stone circles attached to wooden axles by means of wooden ratchets and nails). Their army grew, and they would soon be ready for battle.

In what later became known as The First Crusade, the Excevir overran almost an eighth of the continent in only a few weeks. The disorganized tribes stood almost no chance before the Clan's quick and furious advance, and within only two years, the entire North-West of Irenses was Excevir territory. What made the clan so strong was mostly its charisma: the leader at the time (his name is unkown to modern Agnoculi) was a strong speaker, and he easily rallied the new tribes that they had conquered to his cause. He offered his new followers prosperity and technology, and promised them stability, which was the main reason that not a single revolt would occur during this leader's reign, and many other leaders after him, in fact. The people were tiring of this endless bloodhed and enemity, they wanted a consolidated nation where they could live in peace and raise their children in tranquility. Also, the clan did not have any kind of central ideology, religion-wise, and so none of the tribes felt alienated in any way.

Soon after the country was settled and unified, the Excevir began the Second Crusade, which only lasted a few months: most of the remaining tribes had heard of the great Excevir nation and lived in great fear of its strength. Most tribes surrendered within days of the declaration of the Second Crusade. Others would fall soon after.
Almost the entire Northern Hemisphere of Irenses had now been conquered by the Excevir.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 09:59:40 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2006, 06:34:16 pm »
Sorry if I'm so late in posting.
Update coming soon, so bear with me until then...

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2006, 12:00:59 pm »
I played around with GIMP this morning, and figured out the blur and color gradient features, so here is an updated (colored) version of the map of Epun:

What do you think?  :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:02:34 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2006, 09:50:48 pm »
purdy 
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2006, 11:36:18 pm »
Thanks!
I was going to post the growth of Excevir territories, but my computer is being weird, and I had to reboot it. Meaning I probably lost all the work I did on the image.  :'(
Oh well, it was mostly just learning how to use the features anyway so I can probably redo it quite easily...

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2006, 10:49:30 am »
Here's a "mini-update", as I'm probably not going to add anything more until tomorrow...

What used to be a small tribal nation was now a continent-spanning empire, as the Excevir nation continued to grow. Outer tribes could not bear to continue resisting the clan’s power, and even the farthest tribes were allured by its promises of strength and unity. The seven year period which encompassed both crusades and  a series of later and smaller wars was ending, and already the Agnoculus were calling it The Great Unification. The country was strong, and tribal differences were already beginning to fade into the background thanks to the Clan’s great Charisma. Now that the wars and expansion was over, most individuals could now turn to a new task: furthering their knowledge of the world around them.
   Agnoculus scholars (astronomers, mathematicians, philosophers, and all manner of scientists) began to appear all over the land, new architectural trends evolved, and technology increased at disconcerting rates as every individual participated in this drive for more power and more knowledge. Meanwhile, the Clan stayed in the background and evolved into a kind of peacekeeping force, not that it was really needed at this time. They help coordinate efforts and formed the main structure of the government of this new nation.
        At the head of the clan was an "Emperor" of sorts, a face for the clan. This individual usually had little power, while his council of "advisers" (5 individuals elected only by other members of the Clan) were the true power behind the throne. Members of the clan, although many would migrate out into other provinces, mostly preferred staying in their tribal lands, where a sprawling capital city, "Medior", soon grew.

Oh, and here is a diagram of the Excevir land gains over the seven years of the Great Unification:

As always, if you've got a question or comment, don't be afraid to post.  ;D

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2006, 11:07:11 am »
interesting!

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2006, 05:50:40 pm »
Most of the advances made during this age of rapid growth were material things: new gadgets, constructions, etc.
But many of the most important advances that the Agnoculi made during this time period were actually conceptual ones. These include three main things: A numbering system, The development of a standardized language, and finally, a Calendar!
Over the next few posts I will discuss these three developments. First is the Numbering system.
First of all, you have to realize that the Agnoculi do not have any true "digits" to speak of (the number of tentacles inside their claws varies by age and individual), and so their numbering system could not be based on this. The Agnoculus numbering system, instead, was based on the creature's general body-plan: 7 limbs (5 legs and 2 arms). This means that the Agnoculi use a "base 7" numbering system. Instead of counting to ten, like humans, they count to seven. A number is read from left to right, and each digit you move from the "one"s (the digit at the very right of the number) is the next order of magnitude, so the second digit from the right is the "sevens", the third from the right the "49"s, etc.
Here is a picture of the symbols used to represent the digits and a few examples to help you understand:

(Notice how each number represents a different symmetrical set of limbs: 1 is the back leg, 2 are the two front legs, 3 are all legs except the front two, 4 is all limbs except the back one, 5 is a circle representing all five legs, 6 is the leg plan with an arm added to it. This means the Agnoculi sometimes can represent their number 7 as a circle with two "arms" jutting out, instead of the standard bar and square)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 10:15:23 am by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2006, 08:46:36 pm »
Scholars during the time of the Excevir Clan also created the first written alphabet by translating the simple sub-letters of the spoken language into easy-to-remember symbols. (Remember, the Agnoculi have no vocal chords or any way to communicate with voice or tone, so they use various clicking and whistling sounds they can make with their mouth, claws, and lung-holes). Each sub-letter (there are six, and they are described below) can be paired with any other sub-letter to form an actual letter. These letters then fit into words which are then made into sentences, etc. This means that technically, the Agnoculus have 36 different "letters", or sub-letter pair combinations (Although some of these "letter" combinations are very rarely used). This may seem very complicated, but the clicks and whistles can be spoken in very quick succession, and although this would make it hard for other species to decipher the language, it makes for a decent way to communicate.
Here are the six letters of the "Alphabet" and a description of each:

A: High-pitched whistle.
B: Lower-pitched whistle.
C: Sharp mouth-click.
D: Slower mouth-snap.
E: Grinding teeth
F: Claw snap.

These are just the basic letters and phonetics of the Agnoculus, as it would take too long to describe all the subtleties that later arose in the language (some example include: use of body-language to change tone, intermediate whistling sounds, differenciacion of meaning arising from use of left/right claw, and the list goes on...Most of these also translated into the written language under the form of underlining, adding extra dots or lines on certain letters, etc.)

Next up, the Calendar....
Hmm...I'm going to have to think about that one for a little bit because of the weird configuration of the Visum solar system (take a look at page one if you don't know what I'm talking about)  ;D

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2006, 12:55:39 pm »
well, I'm leaving for Tahiti tomorrow  :D, and I won't be back for about 10 days, so I hastily drew something up (I didn't have time to think up a calendar, maybe I'll try doing that on the plane...). I'm thinking of maybe posting a poll, so i can come back after vacation and find out what you guys want to see....
Anyways, here is an Agnoculus Scribe. You can see from his neck rings that he is high-ranked in the Excevir Clan, and he is also litterate (he's writing on some kind of clay tablet):

EDIT: Aew, it turned out kind of bad, it's all blurred, oh well...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 12:57:22 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2007, 06:33:12 pm »
I'M BACK!!! (welll....I've been back for over a week now, but I really haven't had time to post...  :P)
I've been a little busy with finals, community service, and...<cough>Battlefield 2142<cough>I MEAN, HOMEWORK!
So...anyway, I should have an update coming soon...I hope...Probably this week-end.  :(
(btw...I hope this isn't considered necro-bumping...because then I'd have to wack myself with a stick...)

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2007, 04:09:50 pm »
Here is the Paddle-shell, the main food source of thousands of Agnoculi living along the shores of the excevir nation:

It's a very simple organism that abounds all over the seas, oceans, lakes, (basically, any expanse of relatively deep water) on Epun, and is incredibly easy to catch in large numbers with nets or even the simplest of fishing equipment, making it the preferred food of many Agnoculi.
It is basically just a plankton-filtering machine that floats on top of the water.
Two chitinous carapaces on each side of its body serve as small water-wheels (they have little cup-like protrusions that facilitate movement through water) as they move along the surface, filtering the abundant surface-plankton of Epun. They also have small air-bladders in each of the two side-shells which they use to stay afloat (they cannot survive underwater) and also to keep their filter-mouth positioned along the water-level. They have no brain to speak of, and act rather like the common jellyfish, although their mode of locomotion is quite different.
They are also a favorite food of the infamous Akunta (next post).

I'm just posting a few creatures of Epun right now, I still don't feel particularly inspired for the calendar or anything else...
What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 10:26:48 am by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2007, 07:47:02 pm »
hehe cool :)
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2007, 01:41:23 am »
Hehe, tasty.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2007, 08:01:41 pm »
here is the Akunta, main underwater predator on Epun. It feeds mostly on the paddleshells on the surface, but will eat practically anything else, using its pair of pointed tentacles and their very potent poison along with strong manipulating tentacles. Finally it has no eyes, ears, nose, etc: It mostly uses its last two tentacles, which are covered in small bubbles, each of these packed with different types of sensory equipment. Finally, it has a strong, spiked grappler-tail that it can use to bash stronger opponents, grab prey, or propel itself with along the surface (it uses its six chitinous claw-limbs to "run" quickly along the sea-floor). It is very closely related to the sentient Gillra I talked about on page 1, and I guess you could say its behavior and intelligence level is close to that of the terran shark . Here are a few images:
These are the Akunta's three types of tentacles (Poison, Manipulating, Sensory)

This Is an akunta feeding on a jellyfish

And this is an Akunta grabbing a JUICY paddle-shell from the surface of the water.

Aew, It's so slimey, it makes me proud.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 08:03:54 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Daan

• Lode Runner
  • Cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: The Agnoculus (and other Creatures of Epun)
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2007, 01:46:32 pm »
Ooh! Nice! :)

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2007, 09:12:24 pm »
coool 8)
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2007, 12:47:20 pm »
OK, I'm going back to my main sentient, the Agnoculus, now. And I think I finally came up with a "calendar" of sorts. I was trying to make it originial, but I'm not sure if it make sany sense anymore. Also, I'm going to need to update my Spore Wiki articles soon, they're getting outdated...

Oh, by the way, if you want the following information to make sense, you might want to re-read the stuff on the fiorst page about the Visum Solar System. (Just as soon as I find out how to link to a specific post, I'll link back to it...<nudge> <nudge> <wink> <wink> anyone wana tell me how?  :P)

sooo...basically, 1 full Agnoculus year is about 5 and a half human years. Their year is defined as the time it takes for Defastrum (the gas giant that Epun orbits around) to make one full revolution around the sun. There are 4 distinct seasons, which, by some bizarre freak coincidence involving 2 muffins and a localized worm-hole, the Agnoculus decided to call Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. Just kidding, they're called "Amove Alpha", "Jugise Alpha", "Amove Beta", and "Jugise Beta" (it's amazing what you can do with an English-to-Latin Translator, some randomly placed syllables, a couple of Greek letters, and a glass of orange juice.)

Anywho, I've got some History homework to bs, so I'll spam about the four seasons a little later.  ;D
(Hope I'm not being completely nonsensical)

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2007, 04:11:42 pm »
Here is a brief description of each season:

Amove Alpha:
This is the first season of the year, and it takes up four months (each "month" corresponds to the time it takes for Epun to make one full orbit about Defastrum). Day and night are very unpredictable, and the Agnoculi have not yet found an accurate way of defining days during this period.
Jugise Alpha:
This a more stable 3-month season. The Excevir territories, mosty positioned in the Northern Hemisphere of Epun, recieve moderate to dim sunlight for this entire season (It is like a constant sunset/sunrise)
Amove Beta:
Same as Almove Alpha, but it is the third season of the year.
Jugise Beta:
Similar to Jugise Alpha, but in this case the Excevir territories recieve slightly less light, dim to dark all season-round.

Some random extra facts for your convenience:
- Defastrum travels around Visum, the Agnoculi's sun, in about 5.5 earth years.
- Epun makes 14 revolutions around Defastrum per year.
(- So an Agnoculus "month" is about 143 earth days)
- I might add some more things here as they come to mind (feel free to make any suggestions)

:o :o :o

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2007, 01:06:53 pm »
Well, I haven't been very active on this thread lately, but I'm going to try to keep some info trickling in every once in a while.
Below is a map of Excevia ("the excevir nation" that I talked about earlier and that was founded through the Crusades and subsequent wars of the Excevir clan).

After the Age of Unification brought about by the Excevir, the newly-founded nation, with all its new technology and philosophies, enterred a whole new age. What we will call the "Age of Travel".
Explorers and cartographers began spreading out, leading daring adventures into the wilderness that was beyond the limits of Excevia. They discovered new lands, and colonies began to take hold and grow. In the mainland, large sprawling metropolis's sprang up, like Medior, the nation capital (where the Excevir Clan's tribal territories use to be located, in the North-Western-most corner of the land), or Peanta, a large northern city thriving on the area's agriculture.

Here's a legend for the map:
(first of all, Excevia's actual boundaries are the big black lines around the central portion of Irenses, the main continent)
In red: "industrial" centers, large cities, and densely populated areas.
In dark-green: Agriculturaly-rich rural areas.
In pink: Religious centers.
In bright-yellow: Important fishing areas and harbors/ports.
In dark-blue: colonies (note that most of these are stripped with yellow, this is because they are also large complements to the fishing industry)
In tan/orange/brown: largely un-occupied regions, mostly deserted.
And finally, in very light blue, or white: Gillra settlements or cities (more about this later).
NOTE: Only the areas surrounded in black lines are subject to this legend, all the other stuff is just un-explored land (for example, even though the polar ice caps are light-blue, that does not mean that they contain Gillra settlements.)

EDIT: haha, 999 views!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 01:14:45 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2007, 02:31:29 pm »
kool stuffz.  :)

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2007, 02:48:13 pm »
hehe, thanks!
Man, now that I look at it, that map looks kind of crowded and confusing. oh well.

EDIT: I just added a poll, because I'm so uninspired and really don't know what to talk about next now. I just need a kind of direction to go in. (also, I' m leaving for a few days to go skying  ;D. When I get back, I can check out what you guys voted)
Don't be afraid to post something if you don't like the options in the poll.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:55:01 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2007, 11:12:49 am »
OK, it seems like most of the votes are going into the Element Wars, so I'm going to quickly give you some background information before I leave for a few days.
As you can see on the map I posted earlier on yesterday, the Agnoculi had already found pockets of Gillra settlements in the deeper bays around their nation. The gillra, for those of you who might have missed it, are a species of underwater sentients that evolved similarly to the Agnoculus, but stayed underwater! Take a look at this: http://www.sporewiki.net/Gillra for more information.
But eventually, as the Agnoculus continued spreading and building more boats (I might draw a boat from the Age of Travel later on if I feel up to it), settlements, and technologies, the Gillra began to feel encroached upon and tensions began to rise.
When the Agnoculi started openly dumping their wastes into the sea, and it was apparent that their sewer systems funnelled these products directly into the water that the Gillra lived in, the poor underwater sentients began protesting.
All they wanted was peace and a place to keep studying: The Gillra are a wise race that believe more in wisdom than in power or technology. They are the true philosophers of Epun, but now that their living space was being invaded, they had to do something!
...TO BE CONTINUED...

I guess you guys can all keep voting while I'm gone, in case I see a clear change in the direction of the poll by the time I get back, but it looks like I'm going to be talking about the Element Wars next.  ;D

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2007, 12:50:35 am »
OK, so I was kind of gone for a while and have left this thread to die. And even though I set up a poll and everything, I really didn't have time to update anymore, so I just stopped. I have a little more time now before I leave for France this Summer. I'm not promising anything, my updates will probably stay completely erratic like before :-\, but i do want to revive this thread, simply because I'm starting to be a little more active in the roleplaying universe.
anyway, here is a pic I made a while ago while browsing tutorials on concept art websites. The large gas giant is Defastrum (notice how the gas clouds are arranged vertically, because of the way it rotates on its side...)
The kind of Earth-like planet is Epun, and that white thing is Epun's moon (although I don't think it would appear that big in this angle)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 12:57:43 am by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2007, 04:39:40 am »
Nice!

Offline microgta

• Gorf Goon
  • OH NOES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2007, 09:32:06 am »
"Very nice"
"gameplayer.com will fail" says Petike.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2007, 09:59:58 am »
I love  Oculus, so I fan-arted him.

An oculus that just caught a prey.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 10:04:37 am by Yannick »

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2007, 11:15:37 pm »
Thanks for the comments (and the fan-art, it's awesome!  ;D)

Update coming soon. Just got to get my scanner working again... :-\

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2007, 06:12:16 am »
If you repost the Gillra pic, I'll fan-art him too, I love your eye creatures.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2007, 05:30:47 pm »
I think I'm just going to start posting random unconnected pics and information now, because as soon as I try to get organized about this, I take too much time and give up.

This is a modern Agnoculus playing the Pipelanx, a large musical instrument that is like a merger between a small organ/piano and a tuba. The player blows into the instrument through his lungholes (located behind his neck. Check the front page or wiki article for more info.), and controls the sound that comes out by using the small keyboard strapped to his mid-section. This is one of the very few varieties of wind-instruments that the agnoculus play on: because of their weird physiognomy, it was hard fr them to design an instrument that used air from their lungholes to make interesting sounds.

Also, I have another Gillra pic coming up , but I haven't colored it yet.

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2007, 07:45:34 pm »
Very freakin' kewl. Working on fanart now... I'll edit it in soon.

EDIT: Here it is, the Stick Agnocolous!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 07:56:32 pm by Arachoid »
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2007, 12:22:05 pm »
haha nice!  :)
Anywho, here's the gillra pic...it doesn't look too good but I'll try coloring it in later (it's just a scanned drawing.)

I also re-hosted the old gillra pic. I hadn't noticed it wasn't there anymore.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 08:48:15 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2007, 09:50:39 am »
Gillra fanart.

I <3 your creatures.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2007, 08:10:40 pm »
Thanks for the fan art! it's great  ;D
And here's a colored version of the Gillra I posted earlier:

Sorry, I don't really have much time to make big updates or anything, SAT IIs coming up this saturday  :'(

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2007, 09:40:57 pm »
Nice!
And the SAT's suck.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2007, 10:19:07 pm »
Yeah, I'm taking the Biology and Maths II SAT IIs, and I've been consistently getting scores under 700 on all my practice tests, which kind of annoys me.

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2008, 11:37:39 am »
MORVLOX
The morvlox is a very quick and feared predator on the plains of Epun. Thanks to its four serated "facial claws", it truly is a carnivore to watch out for!

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

YAY, I finally get to recreate my creatures with the Spore Creature Editor!
I really want to do the Agnoculus, but the free version is a little too limited right now. I'll wait until I get my full version in a few days.

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus: