Author Topic: Spore: Expect the Unexpected !  (Read 8874 times)

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
Re: Spore: Except the Unexpected !
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 10:23:22 am »
I want to be given some basic mechanical parts and be able to stick them together any way I damn well choose. I don't care if the computer knows what the hell I just built or not... I just want it to be able to follow the directions and have the parts move as they would in real life. Then I want the computer to let my civilization mass produce it.

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 12:08:32 pm »
Random events like Clarke's Rama.

And for that matter, being able to send out exploratory "away teams" from your ship.
"You can only see as far as you think."

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 06:08:17 pm »
Good physics, collision checks and whatever. In some of the movies we have seen the parts tend to pass through each other, feets trough the grounds and that stuff. Now that would take a whole lot from the game.
@davidramnero

Offline russellmania4

• Tempest Top Dog
  • i r from teh spores
    • View Profile
    • Yummy Goode
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 06:11:19 pm »
I'm finally posting after a LONG time! :D

Anyways, what I think would be cool is that when you reach space stage, you can land your ship and have your creature emrge. Then, you would be able to control your creature like you would on your home planet. Depending on the species living on the alien planet, they would react differently to your presence. For example, if it was a hostile planet, every creature ranging from slug to 600 foot elephant/homer simpson thing would be after you. I think it would be a fun thing to do if you got bored of roming your own world and meeting the same species over again.

You killed Harry Potter  >:( !!!!!
Yes. Yes I did.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 06:16:57 pm »
Be creative think out of the box ..

I'll be more supportive of thinking outside of the box when there is more evidence of thinking inside of it.

But I would like to add planets to solar system. Like taking a giant meterorite and placing it in orbit. Perhaps add moons the same way

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 06:20:23 pm »
ummm yeah we can do that...he pretty much says you can build a solar system from scratch...actually In fact I think he did actually say It like that ;D

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 06:26:21 pm »
I tend to hate HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE </kefka> sequels. I much prefer expansions.. usually sequels is just to please the OMGGRAFEX crowd, maybe add a few shiny new features to the engine, but it's still the same thing at the end of the day. When the game isn't broken beyond repair, why make another one?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 06:29:48 pm »
I tend to hate HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE </kefka> sequels. I much prefer expansions.. usually sequels is just to please the OMGGRAFEX crowd, maybe add a few shiny new features to the engine, but it's still the same thing at the end of the day. When the game isn't broken beyond repair, why make another one?

I tend to agree. Expansions are great. But Sim Earth really needed a sequel with spore :P Its long over due.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 06:31:08 pm »
Yeah, Spore really can be considered as a sequal to SimEarth. In my opinion anyhow.

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 08:13:41 pm »
Spore can be considered the sum total of all previous games of any manner, shape, or form. It does, however, bear the strongest link to SimEarth and to the significantly less well known, and damn buggy, SimLife. God (read as Will Wright) willing, it will have significantly less of a link to the spoof game SimBrick.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 08:40:21 pm »
One which I've mentioned numerous times:  I'd like to see a lung selection, choose either book lungs (very cheap but very sensitive to the nearby presence of industrialized species), proper lungs (very hardy) or gills (must be below water).  This would allow us to make creatures that live in one environment but go into another for short periods.  Also, a lung capacity would be a neat upgrade too for such creatures.

Another thing that would be neat is digestive styles:  Style one-fully internal digestion (our own normal digestion).  Style two-external digestion (inject acid, slurp up the remains).  Style three-carrion digestion (the creature must have been dead already to get full gains from the meat).

Offline Cosmosis

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Main Creatures: "Hop Hop", "Tik Tak" and "Bum Bum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 04:58:41 am »
i would definitely like to being able to basically try to eat everything edible (not like rocks and houses), but everything organic, and it would effect your creature. Example, eating a toxicating mushroom (which someone has created in the flora editor) or try to eat the bark of a tree, and then vomit or get a stomache or some kind of disease. wouldn't it generally just be assaum if you can create toxic flora?? yes it would.
creature example:
*walking around a wide-open and lush terrain*
humming..
*sees a very inviting and tasteful fruit (which by the way reminds you of a mixture between a pineapple and a honey-melon, only with the skin of an orange. 3 minutes and 45 seconds after the creature does a series of twitches and turns greenish in it's face(s). the creature, in this case a blue-and-green spotted black Bendixaur, vomits and its health decreases a bit during the next couple of minutes.*
*loves Cosmosis for his ridiculous optimism* ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE! ;D

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 05:01:52 am »
doesn't the taking rocks out of the food chain essentially ruin the whole silicon based life Idea?

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 06:27:36 am »
One which I've mentioned numerous times: I'd like to see a lung selection, choose either book lungs (very cheap but very sensitive to the nearby presence of industrialized species), proper lungs (very hardy) or gills (must be below water). This would allow us to make creatures that live in one environment but go into another for short periods. Also, a lung capacity would be a neat upgrade too for such creatures.

Another thing that would be neat is digestive styles: Style one-fully internal digestion (our own normal digestion). Style two-external digestion (inject acid, slurp up the remains). Style three-carrion digestion (the creature must have been dead already to get full gains from the meat).
I always liked that suggestion. I remember when we actually came up with it way back when. Given that these internal parts wouldnt actually change any of the visual appearance, buying (evolving) a new set of lungs could actually apply an extra filter effect to the creatures voice. There would be a few basic 'upgrades' such as capacity/strength/etc, but aside from that there wouldnt be a true 'strongest choice' as they each have their strong points.

On the subject of food, whilst I remember. The ability to eat more than just fruit for herbivores, and the ability to eat more/less than just the meat for carnivores. The higher the level of herbivore/carnivore, the more of the target you can eat. Low herbivore mouth? Only the fruit. Medium? Roots, Grass, leaves, foliage, softer matter. High? A whole tree. Low carnivore mouth? Soft matter such as someone elses kill which they already started and 'opened' for you. Innards, soft tissue, small creatures. Medium? Flesh, hair, nearly all of any creature, cannot break a really thick hide. High? Nearly everything. Most bones, thick hide, perhaps even certain potententially undigestable organs and bits that others would leave behind. So smaller, less carnivorous creatures would need to procedurally eat a kill in a certain manner, leaving quite a bit behind when they're finished, whereas a larger more voracious one could just take large gaping bites off even a creature with a moderate amount of shell/plating, perhaps even beginning to eat a creature before it is dead, leaving nothing. That kinda falls in with the emergent physics thingy I mentioned before, its common for insects to begin eating their prey before they die, after all, why waste energy? Pinning something down is more effective than burning the extra energy of croaking it...

Also, procedural pooping and a wide variety of reproductive cycles to replace the egg. Ooh, and if it doesnt get patched in, the multiplayer chatting/trading hub with minigames constructed out of our creations, that was discussed way back.

Yes, I am just treating this thread as one long unreasonable Spore pipedream. :3

gec05

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 08:35:26 am »
Spore can be considered the sum total of all previous games of any manner, shape, or form. It does, however, bear the strongest link to SimEarth and to the significantly less well known, and damn buggy, SimLife. God (read as Will Wright) willing, it will have significantly less of a link to the spoof game SimBrick.

Anyone remember Sim Sandwich? ;D