Author Topic: You guys expect too much from spore  (Read 18213 times)

Offline Temple

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Re: You guys expect too much from spore
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 12:37:34 am »
Bastardman, your avatar gives me the willies..
WWWWD?
(What Would Will Wright Do?)

Offline dogzer

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2006, 01:07:49 am »
dude, don't take what i say so serious   ::)

I'm not putting a gun in your head, i'm just 'strongly recommending' not to see spore as this godly tool that's going to allow special things in your life, when you can just adventure youself to the outsides of your room, that can be a pretty good 'tool' too if you want to be happy, espcialy if you are starting to get your butt kicked in spore, by me.. you gotta have a backup activity,cuz there's going to be some sick ass kicking in the outerspace man

Offline Temple

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2006, 03:29:34 am »

I'm not putting a gun in your head, i'm just 'strongly recommending' not to see spore as this godly tool that's going to allow special things in your life, when you can just adventure youself to the outsides of your room, that can be a pretty good 'tool' too if you want to be happy, espcialy if you are starting to get your butt kicked in spore, by me.. you gotta have a backup activity,cuz there's going to be some sick ass kicking in the outerspace man

See, people would respond very differently to your posts if you got off your high horse, stepped off the moral high ground and didnt insist on being better than everyone else at a game that a) isnt out yet and b) isnt even an MMO.

That said, you do have a point, and one that I among many have raised in the past: Peoples expectations are way to high. Expecting superstructures, intergalactic warfare and countless other weird stuff to be in the game will end up dissapointing people.

Dont be rude about it, just say what you want to say man. ;)
WWWWD?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2006, 03:35:33 am »

I'm not putting a gun in your head, I'm just 'strongly recommending' not to see spore as this godly tool that's going to allow special things in your life, when you can just adventure yourself to the outsides of your room, that can be a pretty good 'tool' too if you want to be happy, especially if you are starting to get your butt kicked in spore, by me.. you gotta have a backup activity,cuz there's going to be some sick ass kicking in the outer space man

Thankfully its a "Massively Single Player" game so you can beat up my creatures as much as you want on YOUR computer while on mine they will be happy and fine. I think this decision was one of the best things Will Wright has come up with. It solves so much grief and still allows for optimal creativity and sharing of content.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2006, 03:41:26 am »
It Is quite a good Idea cos then the only actions that effect your creatures are your own...It settles all the "I'm a nerd who spent 1000 hours saving up *Insert useless object/currency here* and then you came over and raped me...etc etc" you get the point

Offline dlseth

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2006, 03:42:04 am »
Thankfully its a "Massively Single Player" game so you can beat up my creatures as much as you want on YOUR computer while on mine they will be happy and fine. I think this decision was one of the best things Will Wright has come up with. It solves so much grief and still allows for optimal creativity and sharing of content.

I actually consider that pretty much a bad thing; risking a few weeks worth of effort makes things all the more interesting. I had some 'optimal creativity' in wiping out large numbers of people with tactics and coordination...  ;D
}><(((^^>

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2006, 03:45:47 am »

I actually consider that pretty much a bad thing; risking a few weeks worth of effort makes things all the more interesting. I had some 'optimal creativity' in wiping out large numbers of people with tactics and coordination...  ;D

You can still do that. But it will only effect your universe. Thats why it's so brilliant. The creatures will act like how you played them. So in a sense your computer is playing my creature how i would have played them if it was a live multiplayer. But when you "wiping out large numbers of people with tactics and coordination." I will not really care because there are millions of other people doing the same thing to them in their own universe. In short, why be greedy and be the only one to wipe me out when everyone can wipe me out (on their own respective universe on their computers) :D

You guys just don't get it.

I'm starting to think I don't get a lot of things.  :D  But I get your point Hydro.  Sometimes I have moments where I just get excited about Spore all of a sudden.  Generally sparked off by thinking/reading about/watching the cell game because thats the first I saw of Spore in the GDC05 Video.  I do look forward to Spore, but I allow myself room to except that somethings in the game may not be in.

You have good point. the GDC 2005 was the best demo and I think I need to take a trip down memory lane and watch it again. I recommend to everyone since i never seem to get tired of that one.

GDCTV
http://www.pqhp.com/cmp/gdctv/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 03:58:09 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline dogzer

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2006, 05:05:25 am »
 :o what, i'm not on a high horse, i'm on a low horse. You are on the high horse, someone who isn't obsessed about spore would respond with humour cuz their mind aren't clouded by the spore's dark force.

Anyway, i just wanted to say what kids doesnt realise is how hard is to make a game. It's pretty hard, yo! even for a team of game developers, and they did a great job making those creatures walk like they all got a stick up their butts, seriously.

Those of you who have messed with game making as a hobby already know this, you get "big game fevers" all the time, cuz that's what you are getting, it's called B.G.F.(Big Game Fever) in the biz.

So before double clicking that spore icon for the first time, you gotta remember, spore was made by mortals, because it was their jobs! not because they love you, yeah that's right. :-*

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2006, 05:24:27 am »
But they love their jobs :D Atleast thats what they say to interviewers. Which is is something since a lot of people hate their jobs. Also they are some of the best, with the master of all games Will Wright. So they can't help but be good. Also they do "love" getting feed back from players. So in a sense they do love you. Not you specifically but you as a collective of players. In short they will love you in the same way they loved the players of the Sims. Most game makers don't really care. They make the game and forget about it. But as you have seen from the Sims / Maxis they seem to love the feed back of their community. How many game designers can say that?

Hydro ~

PS dogzer i am not sure if they love you though :p

Offline dogzer

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2006, 06:05:24 am »
they love me, yo

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2006, 06:37:44 am »
they love me, yo
Must . . . resist urge . . . to post . . . the profane ones --- here you go.

Offline dogzer

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2006, 06:55:00 am »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2006, 09:12:31 am »
It matters not if Spore is good or bad... because Ive stopped caring. Due to philosophy that means it isnt important.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Temple

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2006, 09:38:27 am »
It matters not if Spore is good or bad... because Ive stopped caring. Due to philosophy that means it isnt important.

Best. Quote. Ever.
WWWWD?

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2006, 09:39:58 am »
Best. Quote. Ever.

2nd. Best. Quote. Ever.