Author Topic: Avatar: The Last Airbender  (Read 47389 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2007, 01:31:22 am »
I joined! Look out for Gunneroid! :P

I noticed the new guy! I also acted as the unofficial bio-approver, and gave a small critique of your guy.  I honestly didnt know that Gunneroid was you, it seems to obvious now.

I signed up awhile back. I think i am going to do a water bender. Being "Hydro" of course :D

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2007, 01:21:47 pm »
I heard there may be a movie soon...
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2007, 07:12:54 pm »

Cool!!

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2007, 07:26:40 pm »
Generic "4 elements" plot? Check.
Token tough female? Check.
Anime? Check.
Sad attempt at an anime? Check.
Whiny voiced, slightly air-headed, but brave and destined to be great protagonist? Check.

Yeah, I totally hate it.
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2007, 07:36:46 am »

Cool!!

Don't get you're hopes up, I hear that M. Night Shyamalan is directing.  It will also be live action, so who knows?  Personally I hope it gets scrapped so they don't ruin the series.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2007, 08:35:51 am »

Cool!!

Don't get you're hopes up, I hear that M. Night Shyamalan is directing.  It will also be live action, so who knows?  Personally I hope it gets scrapped so they don't ruin the series.

Live action is a definite maybe, as I know. Also, it will not be called "Avatar," as a name the exact same was already chosen for a different movie, so they have considered "Airbender."
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2007, 11:40:34 pm »

Cool!!

Live action is a definite maybe, as I know. Also, it will not be called "Avatar," as a name the exact same was already chosen for a different movie, so they have considered "Airbender."

Or "Avatar: The Last Airbender"  like the show or maybe even "Ang: The Last Airbender"

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2007, 03:43:25 am »
I saw the season finally today finally. It was good.

Air Benders, Water Benders, Earth Benders, Fire Benders, Lighting Benders, Metal Benders, Ice Benders, Sand Benders and even Plant Benders... I wonder if they will have a lava bender. I wonder if it will be based out of Earth Bending or Fire Bending.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2007, 06:16:00 am »
What confuses me is that for being based on Taoism or possibly Shinto (a religion which incorporates said 4 elements), they seem to have forgot the chinese elements actually number 5 and are Fire, Water, Wood, Metal and Earth. (Another possible model (possibly Hindi) did indeed have the four classical elements, Air Earth Fire and Water, but also had a fifth which was "Aether" (something to do with space) if I remember rightly).

So where's the fifth element? Anyone says Leela and you die a horrifying death. They'd better not pull some "Heart" crap like captain planet if they decide to do it, not only because Heart was a lame power, but Heartbenders sounds like some kind of freakish boy band combined with a soap opera. Spacebenders on the other hand... you know, while we're on the subject of reality physics, what about Timebenders?

And Avatar is hardly anime. The animation quality is actually good so it doesn't qualify as anime on that count. Merely having an oriental context doesn't mean it's anime.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2007, 07:08:55 am »
Depending on the cultre the 'void' or 'Aether' element is either meant to represent the supernatural or spiritual aspects of the world (you could call it Soulstuff, or something) or it represents a sort of palpable nothing which allows physical objects to exist, like Luminiferous and Magnetic Ethers used by the victorians to describe the medium through which light and magnetism were supposed to travel.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2007, 06:29:37 pm »
This show doesn't have to be based existing religions or beliefs, so I don't think there are any "missing" elements to the show or anything. They just decided that in the Avatar's world, there are in fact 4 elements.

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2007, 07:28:53 pm »
Yoou are taking toi too seriously. Avatar takes many world cultures into one. Mostly east asian but some India and even Inuit too. I even noticed some resebled other world cultures as well that were not asian at all. Such as the swamp water tribe was very much like the bayu culture of the US. While the earth sandbenders were much like the middle east nomads.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2007, 08:15:35 am »
Generic "4 elements" plot? Check.
Token tough female? Check.
Anime? Check.
Sad attempt at an anime? Check.
Whiny voiced, slightly air-headed, but brave and destined to be great protagonist? Check.

Yeah, I totally hate it.

There are two females my friend.  Two within the group, and then the Fire-bending princess and her two friends.  So, actually, more like five token 'tough females.'

as For air-headed...HAHAHA, good one   :D

But yeah, love this show.  At least, I love the bending (and the weird animals they have) <.<

PEEEEENNNNGGGGUUUUUIIIIINNNNNN!!!!!!!!
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2007, 12:36:04 pm »
They're not even remotely weird, they're just fusions.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2007, 08:16:11 pm »
First off, not entirely 100 % fusions (seriously, have you ever seen a six-legged mammal?)
Secondly, regardless, they are still weird

In fact, in reality Luminar, no matter how original the animal, we can only create something that is made of things we've seen before.  So any creature from Creation Corner, any alien, genetic experiment gone wrong, or what have you, from any story, is a fusion of elements of our experiences (for example, dinosaurs, skeletons, bugs, and machines for the Xenomorph from Alien).  So really, these are not not weird due to the fact that they are merely fusions.  Otherwise, no creation, fantastical or otherwise, would be weird.  Its just that the animals in Avatar are, I guess, less 'subtly' fused, so to speak, and are thus easier targets for the snobbish among us to dismiss with disdain.
Think about THAT!  :o :D  ;D

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 11:30:51 pm by Notorious B.O.B »
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars