Author Topic: New Sam & Max Game  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Morslok

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
New Sam & Max Game
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:57:56 am »
I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier!  Apparently, the first episode of Sam & Max came out on November 1st.

There will be 6 new episodes between now and May (if all goes according to plan).  The first episode is $8.95, but if you buy the whole season ahead of time, it's only $34.95 for all 6 episodes with the option of getting the whole season on a disk after it's all out for only the cost of shipping and handling.

I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm giving it serious consideration.  I've heard mostly positive things, with the exception of a few people who think the puzzles are too easy.  This episode is apparently about 2 hours long.

I was always a fan of the LucasArts adventure games like Sam & Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion 1 & 2, and the Monkey Island series.

If anyone gets/got this, I would very much like to hear your (SPOILER FREE) impressions.

Signed, Morslok

Offline ElemenoP

• Battlezone Captain
  • All Hail, the mighty glowing geography teacher!!!
    • View Profile
Re: New Sam & Max Game
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 12:41:07 pm »
I got the demo, it's freakin' hilarious!
http://www.savefile.com/files/184513
HelperBox.  Ensuring a brighter future!
(it's a 9 megabyte movie I made in endorphin. It's pretty funny)

Offline Morslok

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 05:34:23 am »
In the end, I decided to wait until Episode 2 comes out, if people are still saying it's good then, I'll probably spring for the season 1 fee.

If not, I might still get it anyway...  I was a big fan back in the day.

I forgot to put the URL in the initial post, which I probably should have done.  You can get the demo from there, if you don't already have it, or you can order from there: http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax/
Signed, Morslok

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 06:19:04 pm »
First off, I was quite thrilled with seeing Sam & Max return. I've been looking forward to this comeback for a long time now!

The game is generally funny, but in a small-smile kind of way rather than a laugh-out-loud fashion, with some rare exceptions (such as a certain meat product in the dream sequence). The voice acting is quite good although at time intentionally grating. The graphics are very well suited to the game as well, with well-realized locations.

The gameplay - well, it's classic point and click adventuring with the exception of a few driving sequences where the controls are a tad sluggish, but you can get used to them. My biggest complaints are:

1. The game is very easy except for a few puzzles that might actually make you fire a few synapses. Sadly, I must admit that I needed a bit of help for the final one, which was uncharacteristically difficult, although logical in retrospect.

2. Linked to this difficulty is the limited amounts of options you have. There is no combining of items in inventory, for example.

3. It's very short. I completed the game in under 4 hours, even with being stuck at the end for a while, and trying to listen to every line of dialog. Then again, it's $8.95 (or less, if you buy the entire 6 episode season at once, which I did).

This is Telltale Games' first crack at the series, so I expect quite alot of good things to come in future installments. At the price, give it a shot if you have even a slight passing interest in adventure games!

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 05:42:56 am »
I remember seeing the original Sam and Max many years ago. My neighbor really liked games, especially adventure games so it is kind natural he would have it.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!